More on the limiter thing

Chat about Equipment Info

More on the limiter thing

Postby playingdead » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:31 pm

So, I dialed in a limiter on the AxeFX to try to quash those transients ... it really did help the problem I was having with clipping on the board inputs. I set the threshold on it as high as I could get it, but looking at the gain reduction meter when I was dialing it in, it was still kicking in a little bit sooner than I would like it to.

I'm going to try and attach an envelope modifier to the limiter so it will only see the signal above a certain point, if I can figure out how to make it happen.

Anyway, I only ran it during one song on Saturday night (Mississippi Half Step), and I must confess, I was deliberately playing to try and trigger it in spots, so it's not exactly a stellar performance of the tune. But at the end, after the Rio Grandio coda, I was playing some triplets and really accenting certain notes, and even went and cranked up the guitar and played some Franklin's Tower like chords at the end. I can hear the difference but it's subtle. Work in progress ... this is just a quickie 5-minute mix of the band, too. (But it sounds pretty goooooooood, actually. LOL)

http://52vincentdrive.com/halfsteplimit.mp3

If you want the (large) WAV file: http://52vincentdrive.com/halfsteplimit.wav

I put the limiter block between the amp block and the speaker block, where it would be (in theory) if it was being done by the 2300. It wreaked a little havoc with my reverb, because I run that parallel (like it better that way) but it's not noticeable in the mix.
playingdead

Re: More on the limiter thing

Postby Pete B. » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Is there a stand-alone brand/model of Limiter (pedal?) that guitarists typically use?
Pete B.

Re: More on the limiter thing

Postby strumminsix » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:39 pm

Pete B. wrote:Is there a stand-alone brand/model of Limiter (pedal?) that guitarists typically use?

I use a Presonus Eureka. Mr. Weir uses an Avalon
strumminsix

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion