Jerry pick replacements

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Jerry pick replacements

Postby old man down » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks Billbbill,

Just put in an order, too, for a dozen. Figured why not, when I think that I own two Blue Chips, and they were $35 apiece.

If I don't like them, which I doubt, they'll still make great gifts to GD friends who play.

They'll only be around for so long, and then maybe gone forever. Told that there is only so much of the material left and then that will be it. (But who knows)

OMD
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby old man down » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:55 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Word has it, before Jerry moved to the Adamas graphite 2mm pick, he used a Fender extra-heavy. I wonder when Jer' made the switch.

Brad

Love a Fender Extra Heavy, too. But been eating too much cellulose when I'd lick my fingers during dry months in order to hold on to them. Dust everywhere beneath the strings. The Blue Chips don't shed at all, nothing, but figure I'll give my diet some graphite for a change.
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby DeadlyHeptet » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Used the Adamas picks for a time, still have a small stash of them. I went to the V-Pick, highly hyped on a popular equipment forum, but even at $5 a piece, it is one of the best investments I have made. Expensive for a pick, sure, but considering the money people spend on equipment, it is a very high return on investment. I haven't found another $5 investment in my rig that returns as much.
DeadlyHeptet
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby mijknahs » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:09 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Word has it, before Jerry moved to the Adamas graphite 2mm pick, he used a Fender extra-heavy. I wonder when Jer' made the switch.

Brad

There is a close up picture of him using a Fender Extra Heavy in the book "Playing in the Band" and I think he mentions this pick in the 1978 GP interview.
mijknahs

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:10 pm

aside from the sound, are there other benefits to the picks? such as do they last longer due to being made out of graphite/ easier to hold...etc. i'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a dozen but will need more ammo than 'jerry played with them' when i tell my gf i just spent $20+ on a dozen picks :lol:
I got qouted at $16.03 per dozen + $6.75 - $10 from dunlop
vwjodyme

Postby mijknahs » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:49 pm

I can personally testify that I cannot do without these picks either and I've tried many other 2.0 mm (and thicker) picks. I still try new picks hoping to find a pick that gets "that sound" (I recently tried the sand finish black 2.0 mm Gator Grip and also a bone pick). Nothing sounds or feels quite the same or as good. I like these picks for acoustic guitar too. I've come to realize that they are an inherent part of the "sound" that I'm looking for (just as the pickups, speakers, etc.). They wear down just like any other 2mm pick though.

That being said, if you're not going for the Tiger sound and want an early or mid 70's tone, maybe the Fender Extra Heavy would be a better choice?

Jim
mijknahs

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:58 pm

I'll givem a shot :cool: I've tried all sorts and haven't found anything I am really happy with yet...maybe this will be the answer :cheers:
vwjodyme

Postby Pete B. » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:21 am

Okee-Dokee... I just threw down the ol' ban-jo to the tune of two dozen, too...
Did you know it's pronounced "a-DAM-us"???
The girl didn't know what I was talking about at first when I asked for 2 dozen "Adams" Graphite picks (my bad).
Man I hope I can hear the diff once the other guys fire off their amps/drums.
Historically, my main method of pick-to-tone control has proven to be (in my hand at least)... the thinner/flick-ee-er the pick, the treble-ee-er the tone.
Pete B.

Postby tcsned » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:14 am

Pete B. wrote:Historically, my main method of pick-to-tone control has proven to be (in my hand at least)... the thinner/flick-ee-er the pick, the treble-ee-er the tone.

I think generally that is correct but there's something about the graphite that doesn't make it sound like a bass pick. I still use the Adamas picks but since I discovered the Wegen picks I have been using them more and more. Their "bluegrass" pick is reasonable thin but totally inflexible. It's very bright sounding. I also use the 2.5mm gypsy jazz picks about the same size and beveled so it doesn't act like a big, fat bass pick. It is close to the Adamas in brightness. It's funny when I first got the Adamas picks I was looking for something fatter than the Fender celluloid picks - I kinda destroyed my right hand trying to over-grip the thinner picks as it now sounds like pop-corn when I make a fist. I didn't even know Jerry used them until later and I can see why he did use them. You can loosen your grip and get a smooth strumming sound like a thinner pick and then tighten up to get more articulation and control. I had a couple of tortoise shell picks that I really, really liked but they accidentally both went through the wash/dryer and didn't survive. They are, by far, the best material to make a pick from. Better than celluloid, graphite, or whatever. But of course, they are a protected species and you can't go around killing these endangered animals so we can have great picks. The ones I had were from a guy who goes around to yard sales/swap meets/etc and buys antique jewelry boxes that have a tortoise shell inlay on the top. I don't think I'll get another since they go for $40-100 a piece now and that's a little too much.
Wegen gypsy jazz thin (2.5mm)
Wegen bluegrass:
tcsned

Postby vwjodyme » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:14 am

HAHA! I got corrected too! sounded like a-DOM-us when she said it back to me :lol:
vwjodyme

Postby mijknahs » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:24 am

It amazes me that identical (shape and thickness) picks can sound so vastly different if made from different materials.
The A-dam-as picks are unique in the pick world.
mijknahs

Postby erock » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 am

tcsned wrote: I still use the Adamas picks but since I discovered the Wegen picks I have been using them more and more. Their "bluegrass" pick is reasonable thin but totally inflexible. It's very bright sounding.
Wegen gypsy jazz thin (2.5mm)
Wegen bluegrass:

Thanks for that!
I have been looking for those bluegrass picks for a while no, but never knew the brand name. a little bit hard to goggle pick with holes in it
erock
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:15 am

Left-handed picks???? :shock:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tcsned » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:41 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Left-handed picks???? :shock:

If you use beveled picks it matters which way they are beveled. Wegen bevels both sides.
tcsned

Postby Pete B. » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:40 pm

vwjodyme wrote:HAHA! I got corrected too! sounded like a-DOM-us when she said it back to me :lol:

Yeah, I think your spelling is closer to what I heard her say, too.

a-DOM-us
Pete B.

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion