Jerry pick replacements

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Jerry pick replacements

Postby Pete B. » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:12 am

I've never seen the originals in person, but the ones I received look pretty much like this pic of the original:
http://www.ovationtribute.com/Memorabil ... _Pick.html
Pete B.

Postby mijknahs » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:52 am

Nope. They've always been that way. They are not pure graphite but more of a composite of some kind of plastic and graphite.
mijknahs

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:11 pm

I never noticed that the scrolly stuff on the back of the picks looks just like Ovation soundholes! It's all starting to make sense.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:29 pm

got a six pack of the Telefunken last week, little bit pricey but i like them so far. No problems with slickness nice feel and sound to them. I'll give them another shot for sure. $6.00 dollars to ship 6 picks is a hard one to swollow though.
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:39 pm

As I understand it, they aren't really like a solid web of graphite or carbon fiber as you'd see in bike or airplane parts, but instead are some composite, maybe Delrin, with loose graphite fibers in the blend. So yeah, they're kind of a light weight plastic-ish pick with enough carbon fibers in there to put some grit in the surface. That tiny bit of grit is part of the magic that plastic picks simply don't have. It's like a warm, fat, darkish pick, but with a clear, upper harmonic "zing" that the gritty surface excites in the strings. You can take a Dunlop plastic pick of the exact same dimensions and it'll sound very different. They're special picks in their own right for sure, not just because Jerry and Trey chose them.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby CoolBreeze » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:10 pm

I have a handful of the vintage Adamas picks. I've never had access to a Dunlop version until this past weekend. I wasn't able to play with them- but based on feel alone- I was surprised how different the Dunlops feel vs. the vintage Adamas. The design on the Adamas was much more raised than the Dunlop- making it much more "solid feeling" in your hand.

The Dunlop had a completely different texture- much more slippery than the Adamas. Even beyond the raised graphics, the texture of the picks was miles apart. While they look very similar in appearance- these are two very different birds.

Anyone had a chance to to play with these 2 picks in a sound test?

-Bruce
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:00 am

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Grant » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:15 am

if anyone has some adamas or telefunken picks they want to sell, and are willing to ship to me in australia, please pm me!

can't get my hands on any at the moment :?
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby strumminsix » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:58 am

Grant wrote:if anyone has some adamas or telefunken picks they want to sell, and are willing to ship to me in australia, please pm me!

can't get my hands on any at the moment :?

Hey dude! I have a few telefunkens laying around that don't get any use. PM me if you are interested.
strumminsix

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion