JK's Furthur Rig, 9/20/10

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: JK's Furthur Rig, 9/20/10

Postby Chuckles » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Kadlecik has stated on numerous occasions that he gets that light Jerry-style clipping by overdriving the preamp slightly. It makes all the sense in the world for him to use a transparent power amp with no controls other than volume.
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:49 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:These Rocktron power amps are interesting, but I'm still hoping for an SMS Power Amp... preferably with exactly the right wattage to drive one 8 ohm D140. 8)

+1 SMS Power Amp with the mac clip!!! I would buy 2!!!!!
I use a Crown 402 with 2 E120s and I could stand to be louder!
jdsmodulus

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Chuckles wrote:Kadlecik has stated on numerous occasions that he gets that light Jerry-style clipping by overdriving the preamp slightly. It makes all the sense in the world for him to use a transparent power amp with no controls other than volume.

Makes sense now. Similar to how Jeff's rig is setup, with Brad's clipping devices before and after the amp. Yes, the QSC is closer to a Mac than the Rocktron. For me though I'd prefer the Rocktron. It seems very cool to have a solid state power amp which can emulate a tube amp if needed.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby strumminsix » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:10 am

unnbrokenchain wrote:the QSC is closer to a Mac than the Rocktron. For me though I'd prefer the Rocktron. It seems very cool to have a solid state power amp which can emulate a tube amp if needed.

I know I would too :-)
strumminsix

Postby eric » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:07 pm

How come no discussion of John K's H&k Blues master. I wonder how long he's been using it and how tweaked out it is. A 5 watt pre if I'm right? Any body have any experience with these? I mean you could rock this and a QSC for under 500 bones! Saw him at the Gathering of the Vibes this summer, and just got my 5th row tix for the DCU center, he has some serious "sweet" tone going on right now !!!
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby willmusic » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:30 pm

eric wrote:How come no discussion of John K's H&k Blues master. I wonder how long he's been using it and how tweaked out it is. A 5 watt pre if I'm right? Any body have any experience with these? I mean you could rock this and a QSC for under 500 bones! Saw him at the Gathering of the Vibes this summer, and just got my 5th row tix for the DCU center, he has some serious "sweet" tone going on right now !!!

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=7372&start=0&hilit=blues+master
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby Counterstriker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Anyone have some up close pictures of his H&K where I can get some settings?

- I asked JK over facebook if he could tell me his and he asked me if I wanted to sell mine cause he needs a back up :D

" John Kadlecik October 11 at 12:00am Report
wanna sell it? I'd love to have a back-up! ;-) "
Counterstriker

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:56 pm

That's funny CS, If you look closely at the pic in this thread you can make them out. the white lines on the knobs tell all. :-)
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Chutley » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:28 am

I thought it was somewhat interesting that John didn't feel the need to go with the "pre-LED" or script versions of the Distortion+ and Phase 100. I use an OD-2R now, and was thinking of looking for a script, or at least pre-LED Distortion +, just for a "Jerry-like" overdrive tone comparison. Might save some bucks and try a new model Distortion+ now, seeing (and hearing) that it works nicely for John.... :)
Chutley
bruce
bruce

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:34 am

Chutley wrote:I thought it was somewhat interesting that John didn't feel the need to go with the "pre-LED" or script versions of the Distortion+ and Phase 100. I use an OD-2R now, and was thinking of looking for a script, or at least pre-LED Distortion +, just for a "Jerry-like" overdrive tone comparison. Might save some bucks and try a new model Distortion+ now, seeing (and hearing) that it works nicely for John.... :)

I can imagine he has those modified and are not stock pedals. Maybe some are though, I am speculating on the fact he described rebuilding his Trio to his liking and he is well versed in "Gear Head DIY".
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Counterstriker » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:14 am

I actually asked him about that a while ago :D he said it's a stock reissue. He also said the key to his distortion is that only half of the distortion should be coming from the pedal and the other half from the tube preamp.
Counterstriker

Postby Counterstriker » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:44 pm

Talked to him again over facebook! gave me some great info about his setup, I now have my H&K sounding very very close to his minus the Dimarzio and JBL but it's very very close!

On the H&K there's an output called "Cabinetulator" which is made to go direct to the board, it simulates a 4x12 celestion cabinet being miked, He actually uses that rather than the speaker output. I've been using the speaker out put and getting a really nasally trebly sound but I did what he said and it sounds so great! He apparently did that for his last few shows with DSO aswell. I really love the tone! Might have to bring this around instead of the twin :D
Counterstriker

Postby eric » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:27 am

On the H&K there's an output called "Cabinetulator" which is made to go direct to the board, it simulates a 4x12 celestion cabinet being miked, He actually uses that rather than the speaker output. I've been using the speaker out put and getting a really nasally trebly sound but I did what he said and it sounds so great! He apparently did that for his last few shows with DSO aswell. I really love the tone! Might have to bring this around instead of the twin :D

Bear with me here please : So he's running the emulator output direct to the power amp? And the the jbl's are in effect emulating the celestion's? Interesting
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:06 am

Yup! that's it, the tone is really cool.. it's very clean jerryesque reminds me of stu allens dso tone but not as clean, i think the extra part of his tone is running from the power amp.
Counterstriker

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:15 am

Also, he began using it in june 2008 so it does infact pull a great jerry tone off. he sometimes just had the super 60 onstage as backup.
Counterstriker

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion