Amp Issues Twin reverb '73

Chat about Equipment Info

Amp Issues Twin reverb '73

Postby Counterstriker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:42 pm

Alright, So I just had my speakers reconed from a local guy who has been doing it for over 30 years. I went to try em out (not playing my amp 2.5 weeks.) Plugged everything in, Sounded great - didn't surpass level 3 volume.. Turned it off.. did something.. came back tried again this time I wanted to go as loud as I go at gigs - I turn the Volume to 5.5 and the master to about 7. I hit the high E.. Sounds good! then I go for a rake into some note.. I get this horrible broken up speaker sound.. like sounds like straight shit.. so I keep doing it to test it.. Still sounds like shit.. So i turn it off.. Ponder on it, turn it back on and now there is barely any sound coming out of the speakers.. it's about level 1 volume. even though I'm as loud as you can go.

I give the guy a call.. he doesn't answer but his buddy does, tell him the story, and the guy is telling me it's my twin, even though last gig it worked just great and it's been sitting in it's case untouched in my living room for 2.5 weeks.

Could this be a tube problem? or did they guy do a shitty reconing?
Counterstriker

Re: Amp Issues Twin reverb '73

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:24 am

Man what a shitter. Try to hook up the speakers to a completely different amp and see what is up through it. Rule out the speakers so you can figure out what the deal really is. It may very well be your amp. What it is can be many things though. These are old amps and have lots of old parts that need replacing over time and can cause situations like that. My Reverb channel did that after I dropped it a little or a short fall off a step, something is barely making connection or finally gave way with a little help of a kick. I have yet to find it, so I use the normal channel. Could be a tube, transformer, blown components, bad connections, etc... you will have to take it to the doctor unfortunately, if you are not an amp tech yourself. Good luck man, JB
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby playingdead » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:27 am

Place your fingers gently on each cone and push lightly. The cone should move in and out freely. If it's frozen or you hear a rubbing sound (voice coil hitting paper), the speakers are bad.

Since he did both speakers, it seems unlikely both would go bad at once, so it could well be the amp, but test the speakers with another amp first, as posted above.
playingdead

Postby playingdead » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:33 am

One more thing ... if you have a buffer in your guitar with the Tiger wiring, check the battery, that's exactly what happens when the battery dies, a few notes that sound fuzzy and distorted, then almost no output with the same crappy distorted sound.
playingdead

Postby Counterstriker » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:58 am

Thanks - Called the tech today - he's grabbing my amp at 4. I did what you said and pushed the speakers in and they feel good. So gonna go get the amp repaired intime for our next show :D
Counterstriker

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion