Ever had a band member exit a gig? + clipping transients ;-)

Chat about Equipment Info

Ever had a band member exit a gig? + clipping transients ;-)

Postby playingdead » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:50 am

There must be some good stories out there ... I used to play in Uncle John's Band down in Tampa FL; before I joined those guys, I heard a tale where the bass player got pinched for smoking a joint in the parking lot and hauled away.

I had to exit the stage mid-set in Tampa one night after we pigged out on some greasy wings before the second set. Got bad cramps during Truckin', laid the guitar down, hopped the monitors, pushed through the crowd for the men's room ... major issues ... heard the band going into the Other One ... hustled back out there, sang the first verse, had to hop over the monitors AGAIN ... the band was cracking up onstage. Never making that mistake again!

We played at Firefly's two weekends ago; all set up and our rhythm guitarist gets a call about a family emergency ... he's gotta split, and never comes back. His gear sat on stage all night. We tossed the setlist and played JGB and Pig tunes all night.

Harder They Come:

Big Boss Man:

It wound up sounding just fine, but I was freaked during the first set.
Last edited by playingdead on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
playingdead

Re: Ever had a band member have to exit a gig?

Postby strumminsix » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:24 am

Yeah, about 5 years ago I had a week of lots of partying: beer, shitty food, late night greasy meals, etc.

Gig day comes and I spend more time "sitting" than I ever had any given day ever.

I think I'm good and show up and the bar bathroom is a single-seater. It was no good. Missed soundcheck, never did get a break between sets either!

I'm smarter now and eat very well on gig days and don't party away like a knucklehead for a week straight eitehr :lol:

Also I always keep tums or pepto in the car :)
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:32 am

Immodium is the musician's best friend!

The rehearsal studio we're using in Austin has a vending machine with just the three gig staples ... Advil, condoms and Immodium.
playingdead

Postby strumminsix » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:46 am

playingdead wrote:Immodium is the musician's best friend!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pepto usually does the trick for me. I wish I knew a trick for fellow musicians with small bladders :lol:
strumminsix

Postby jkstraw » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:58 am

damn Vic - I am really diggin' your rhythm during the organ break...sweet fills.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby mkaufman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:05 am

Recently, our drummer had the same issue you had. He came back to the stage (several times) with TP stuck to the bottom of his shoe!

:lol:

Another time, my keyboard player had to leave for a family emergency.

It happens.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Postby strumminsix » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 am

Somebody once asked me what I would do if a band member had an emergency at couldn't do a gig without notice...
I quickly said, pray it's not the drummer

Seems important that members think of songs, like Vic did, that can be done with a skeleton crew.

Now, to Vic, why the hell is this in the GD Equip section? :D
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 am

Vic, get back here and post an obligatory gear addendum.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby playingdead » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:39 am

Cause that's where all the band guys with the stories hang out?

Gear addendum ... ran the AxeFX preamp stage very clean at this gig, and found that the transients were clipping the output a little bit here and there, but never when the overdrive was on. Want to explore adding some kind of limiter in the preset to clamp down on those peaks. I did notice the red overload light blinking a little bit, but I think it was clipping a little even before that happened. Was not a board issue, the waveform was nowhere near clipping.

When there's more gain in the preamp stage, it softens up those transients a little. Will try for a happy medium at Sat.'s show (at Harpers Ferry in Allston MA if anyone wants to hear the rig up close).

It's pretty noticeable during the break on Cold Rain and Snow when I ran the bridge humbucker. Run it at 480p or 720p for the stereo mix.

And, my wife was at this gig, a rare occurrence ... watch me mouth "not you" at her after I sang "she's been trouble all my life." LOL
playingdead

Re: Ever had a band member exit a gig? + clipping transients

Postby Pete B. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:04 pm

Just listening to Big Boss Man now.
Your axe sounds excellent to me (I like that clean tone)!
Very Cool.
Pete B.

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Averaging around 100 nights a year for the last 20 years (there have been some years in that time that were lighter,some heavier but overall thats about a fair number) the law of averages just catches up with you. I have some absolute DOOZIES!

I have too many normal illness/family emergency to even begin to list over that period...here are some highlights (or lowlights if you will)

Its going to be hard to do these justice as I have to protect the innocent (or even the not so innocent) here :wink:

-A gig on a balcony in downtown hartford...whole band on boomers....one member loses bowel control onstage in middle of Corrina! Set cut short because:
a)said person runs offstage to mens room
b) rest of band on psychedelic laughing jag cannot compose themselves to finish set.

-Gig at bar near UCONN, vital member pinched for puffing in lot during set break,room was packed.. show went on, club owner PISSED. held up pay..

-a band member used to play in underwear (with no shirt)from time to time (ala chili peppers) especially in summer. he was a "sit down" instrument player so not a huge deal as he mostly was hidden by gear, however one night after a bunch of rum and cokes, underwear came off and he played the set like that (we didnt notice, thought he was still in skivvies) however stage was in a big picture window on downtown city street...on lookers got perfect view from street. Police come in and stop set and arrest for indecent exposure!

- Singer/instr... having such bad narcotic withdrawl throws up all over mic and monitor while in the middle of Estimated coda. Never recovered, had to leave stage.

- Band member forgets about gig and travels 3 states away, which we could have handled except band member has power amps for PA in car. This was before everyone had a cell phone we thought he was coming and was just late. 3 hour jazz odyssey ensued :-)
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:43 pm

clipping transients!!!

been working on that myself!

vic, have to ask, are you running a tad bit of compression on those axefx settings?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:08 pm

No compression at all, and none on the mixdown either ...

Great stories, Jeff!
playingdead

Postby SlowTexasZim » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Two incarnations ago of my band, Pecan Tree, the bass player had an avalanche on his moustache that I had to tell him about in the middle of a song. He broke into Fire on the Mtn about 7 times during the show in the middle of other songs. Then he bails off the stage to hit on a girl in the audience...the rest of us on stage decided to play "Can't find my way home." She turned him down and he rejoined us on stage, eventually. Not a pretty sight. :shock: :?
SlowTexasZim
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby ugly rumor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:02 pm

I was at a gig once where my brother (his gig, not mine) fired the drummer mid song, vamped while pissed off drummer loads out, ends song and continues the night without the drummer. He was a great drummer, just too high to play that night. They still play together occasionally, so, no hard feelings, just part of it!
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bear
Bear

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion