More mixing ... to matrix or not to matrix?

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: More mixing ... to matrix or not to matrix?

Postby tcsned » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:48 am

hogan, was he putting them at the corners facing the crowd?

Vic, stupid question, does your computer have a surround sound card, or do you have a DA/AD converter that has a surround out? If not it's gonna be a huge pain in the ass to get it right. I'd do a cost benefit analysis - how many folks are going to hear it in surround? Is it worth the hassle? If you're doing DVDs and want the best audio quality, I think you're limited to 16/48 in surround mode and can do a full 24/96 in stereo. That is if you recorded the original in 24/96.

I use Logic 7.0 and just looked at it and I vaguely remember using it for a class when I was in grad school - I remember something about using a file naming convention that DVD studio pro would read something like -L, -R, -C, -RL, -RR, -LFE and it out it in the right place not sure if Toast will do that too.
tcsned

Postby KCJones » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:15 am

He really wants me to mix it in with the board for the video. I'm on the fence.

Getting back to your original question to mix it in or not. I think in the end You personally need to be the one and only Producer/engineer on the project making the final decisions. And I'd make your decisions based on the your perception of what sounds best to You, and not what sounds best as a compromised concensus. Meaning you usually can't please everyone in the band and still have the best product in the end. So, listen to suggestions, experiment a little, but make the final call as the Producer as to what best represents the music, not what represents everyone else's input.
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby playingdead » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:11 am

tcsned wrote:hogan, was he putting them at the corners facing the crowd?

Vic, stupid question, does your computer have a surround sound card, or do you have a DA/AD converter that has a surround out? If not it's gonna be a huge pain in the ass to get it right. I'd do a cost benefit analysis - how many folks are going to hear it in surround? Is it worth the hassle? If you're doing DVDs and want the best audio quality, I think you're limited to 16/48 in surround mode and can do a full 24/96 in stereo. That is if you recorded the original in 24/96.

I use Logic 7.0 and just looked at it and I vaguely remember using it for a class when I was in grad school - I remember something about using a file naming convention that DVD studio pro would read something like -L, -R, -C, -RL, -RR, -LFE and it out it in the right place not sure if Toast will do that too.

Working on a Mac Pro here ... it has digital ins and outs. Was originally recorded in 24-bit @ 48 kHz, except the audience, which was recorded at 44.1, so it has to be upsampled (no biggie).

The primary audience is me ... LOL ... the house we bought here in Austin has an HD projector with a 100-inch screen and 5.1 surround. So, I'm willing to go through the changes to burn a BluRay with 5.1 so when I'm 80, I can relive my youth. But the rest of the band, and probably other people I might give a copy to, are more likely to watch on a SD system, maybe with surround, maybe not. I like the idea of burning a standard DVD with the option of a stereo mix or 5.1 mix if I can get it happening. The footage is single camera, but very good and even the wide shot visuals are pretty interesting because of the large screen we had behind us. He did a lot of closeup work, too, but mostly of me, which,as you can imagine, irritates the rest of the band no end. Drives them nuts watching the closeups of my fretboard during BIrd Song, that sort of thing.

playingdead

Postby playingdead » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:13 am

KCJones wrote:

Getting back to your original question to mix it in or not. I think in the end You personally need to be the one and only Producer/engineer on the project making the final decisions. And I'd make your decisions based on the your perception of what sounds best to You, and not what sounds best as a compromised concensus. Meaning you usually can't please everyone in the band and still have the best product in the end. So, listen to suggestions, experiment a little, but make the final call as the Producer as to what best represents the music, not what represents everyone else's input.

True that ... falls right in line with that whole lead guitar player philosophy, too ... :shock:
playingdead

Postby hogan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:19 am

playingdead wrote:
KCJones wrote:

True that ... falls right in line with that whole lead guitar player philosophy, too ... :shock:

It's like I always say, " the only thing more childish, egocentric and problematic than a lead guitarist is the rest of the band"
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby playingdead » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:48 am

Or like I often say ... "It's really remarkable that in Playing Dead, there are no outsized egos, no problem children, there is no overbearing a--hole who thinks he's in charge ... well, unless it's me and they just haven't told me."
playingdead

Postby hogan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:57 pm

playingdead wrote:Or like I often say ... "It's really remarkable that in Playing Dead, there are no outsized egos, no problem children, there is no overbearing a--hole who thinks he's in charge ... well, unless it's me and they just haven't told me."

****Spoiler Alert****

It's you. :lol:
"If you can't spot the sucker within 5 minutes of sitting at the table, you are the sucker sitting at the table"
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby tcsned » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:19 pm

playingdead wrote:
Working on a Mac Pro here ... it has digital ins and outs. Was originally recorded in 24-bit @ 48 kHz, except the audience, which was recorded at 44.1, so it has to be upsampled (no biggie).

The primary audience is me ... LOL ... the house we bought here in Austin has an HD projector with a 100-inch screen and 5.1 surround. So, I'm willing to go through the changes to burn a BluRay with 5.1 so when I'm 80, I can relive my youth. But the rest of the band, and probably other people I might give a copy to, are more likely to watch on a SD system, maybe with surround, maybe not. I like the idea of burning a standard DVD with the option of a stereo mix or 5.1 mix if I can get it happening. The footage is single camera, but very good and even the wide shot visuals are pretty interesting because of the large screen we had behind us. He did a lot of closeup work, too, but mostly of me, which,as you can imagine, irritates the rest of the band no end. Drives them nuts watching the closeups of my fretboard during BIrd Song, that sort of thing.

oh, it's for yourself, then I would go for it, if it was for the barbarian public I wouldn't bother ;)

You guys get a great shot with that camera too. Cool lights and backdrop. I wish I could find someone I can trust with my nice work camera . . .
tcsned

Postby playingdead » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:49 pm

Finished product ... best in HD, of course. Dumbed down a little for size, 18 frames per second. Used the matrix, really like it. Thanks for all the tips!

playingdead

Postby lunasparks » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:18 pm

well, I think it's safe to say that everything about that was really, really nice! Kudos, man
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby playingdead » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks man ...

playingdead

Postby jester536 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:55 am

playingdead wrote:...the dude who used to show up at all the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ simulcasts doesn't appear ... he would go "UH aye aye aye aye aye aye aye aye aye aye aye aye aye aye aye" constantly into the audience mics they would turn up between songs ... 4-27-77, 11-24-78 ...

I think I still have a tape or two with him on it. He used to drive us all nuts. Could never imagine what it would have been like standing next to him at the show.
Beautiful work on the video...would love to see more. Thanks for sharing.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby tcsned » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:29 am

sweet Bird Song, Vic!
tcsned

Postby playingdead » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:25 am

jester536 wrote:Beautiful work on the video...would love to see more. Thanks for sharing.

Careful what you wish for ... LOL

Nice Box of Rain (wide shot):

Big Boy Pete is always a fun little romp ...

Some lame-ass slide playing by yours truly on Passenger:

Looking a little green during this Ramble on Rose:

playingdead

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion