Just added the OBEL to my guitar

Chat about Equipment Info

Just added the OBEL to my guitar

Postby unnbrokenchain » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:38 pm

I just added the OBEL to my guitar, and boy am I kicking my self in the head for not doing it sooner! It's great! I am hooked up straight to my amp AND can still use all my effects! Special thanks to Waldo for the buffer and schematics and to Johnny Boy for the directions to build a junction box for the TRS cable. $12 to build the junction box, $30 for a 15' foot mogami TRS cable, and $10 for the mini switch, total cost = $52. It only took me a half hour to build the junction box and drill and wire the mini switch in my Carvin Sh65. It feels and sounds great to do all those great rifts with my clean amp signal and then reach down to pull the switch and hear delay, chorus, or the envelope filter. Just waiting for my order of techflex in the mail to get all my wires under control and bundled up. Quite the set up I have now with the guitar signal, Midi AND OBEL cable. Love it! Once again Thanks Waldo and Johnny Boy!
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Just added the OBEL to my guitar

Postby waldo041 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:34 pm

First learn stand, then learn fly. Nature rule, Daniel-san not mine.
-Mr. Miyagi

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Mandoborg » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:12 am

The OBEL is like a light bulb that goes off in your guitar playing.......... i've put them in guitars that are so 'not Dead ' just because it's such a pratical idea.......... it's amazing a ' bigger ' company hasn't offered one.......... It's also amazing how many folks do not build there own junction boxes........ easy as pie and cheap, cheap, cheap............
Waldo, might be hitting you up for a buffer soon............ my CB-1 crapped out after barely a year and i haven't heard back from the company yet.......
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby hogan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:39 am

Mandoborg wrote: It's also amazing how many folks do not build there own junction boxes........ easy as pie and cheap, cheap, cheap............

same can be said for a unity gain buffer. Less than $6 in parts.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:03 am

I am glad to help people do things, I can make buffers too, but the thing is there is a bunch of ways you can make those too. Each
one sounds different, all based off one of two core circuits, transistor or chip, but the circuit can be super confusing when you have to decide values and placement to replicate an actual Garcia buffer with the right chip amp.

I would never post public to make things due to the fact people here make money off their wares here, but guys that want to learn, like waldo years ago, Hogan years ago, me years ago, all others that want to be able to be their own tech, I think sharing information privately is just fine. It is how all of us learned, if not some things found out by trial and error, but none the less help was given.

I think its great that people can make these things, but respect should be given on the public boards to people that do this for a living and also help us out here when we ask for information. Just my opinion and my belief in being kind to your neighbor. Remember this, All things we make money on has to at least be doubled if not more in the market place to make it worth while. We all have to make money to live. :smile:

The lucky thing is, most people would like to pay the extra money for a well made piece than something they know they would do a sloppy beginners job. As for a buffer, yes ten bucks of stuff, but 60 dollars in knowledge, frustration, and solder burns. Some things are easier that others to make. If you want to try your hand at a buffer, look them up on line. BUT, it won't be a replica Garcia buffer, only people that can decipher from distant photos the values and amp chip, plus a few trial and error attemps can tell you this info. I think that is only Waldo at this point.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby RiverRat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:46 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby hogan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby unnbrokenchain » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:36 pm

:?: ... Waldo's buffer is great. Before his I had the CB1 and it crapped out on me. I knew I shouldn't have bought it after it took them two months to respond to my email.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby RiverRat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:58 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby bdhact1 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:16 pm

I've been so tempted to buy his buffer as well. I've been trying to build one from a photograph of Tiger's. Just when I think I have it right, something is always a little off about it. I like the challenge of DIY though.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:43 pm

My inner Willis came out of my reading into something that wasn't there, maybe. :oops:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm not hands on at all - I like being able to get the stuff I need right here - and if someone can make a few bucks and I can get what I need - no prob !
I would like to have a all " RU KIND " rig after awhile .... guitar by Bri ( w/a little bit of magic transistors by waldo ).... cab by Hogan .... mojo by Brad .....
Guitar is almost done - next is the cab !
:smile:
I cant wait to get the guitar with OBEL .... and experiment
muhahahaha !
Tennessee Jedi

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion