Anyone use a noise gate?

Chat about Equipment Info

Anyone use a noise gate?

Postby unnbrokenchain » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Was wondering if anyone uses any type of noise gate for their equipment? My regular guitar signal doesn't bother me at all, just the typical subtle tube amp noise. But, my Gr-20 Roland's synth is ridiculously noisy. The noise just kills me every time I feel like using it. If I sent it through a noise gate, would that reduce the noise somewhat? I'm trying to do some serious recording this winter when I get the time and available space. I've been looking at two products the Behringer MULTIGATE PRO XR4400 Quad Expander/Gate which has 4 channels (sounds like more than enough for me) and is only 99 bucks. The other which seems like would solve all my problems is the ISP Technologies Decimator ProRack G Noise Reduction System, but is $444!

Any of you cool cats have any suggestions for me about other possible products out there? Like some that you have used or still do?
Last edited by unnbrokenchain on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Noise Gates/Noise Eliminators

Postby unnbrokenchain » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:44 pm

Oh and to make it more clear to you all. I run my guitar signal and synth signal separate. Yes, three cables going out of my guitar (guitar, OBEL, and MIDI 13 pin)
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Anyone use a noise gate?

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:55 am

A gate will hush the system while not playing but bring the noise back when the gate opens. A gate can be handy to control feedback on vocal mics and drum sets too. Many pro rigs use gates for those reasons. I would try filtering your power supply first and use the gate for a last resort. If you don't own a furman power conditioner, those help keep the 60 cycle out. If it is a noisy unit apart from the power, maybe try a debugger from EHX just for the midi channel. Those work as well as a gate and its not a gate. it won't trap your softer dynamics. One of my pedals has the hush gate built in and it helps, some. With recording, you may find you can eliminate the noise other ways without having to use a gate, like going direct to the board from your preamp or modeling box. I would look into the Bheringer Vamp or pod like thing for your recording if you plan on recording track by track, so you can go direct.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby ugly rumor » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:06 am

As a long-time player of vintage instruments, I used a noisegate for many years. Also, when I had a recording studio, I considered it indispensable. You can get a good one for much less than $444. Look around on ebay, or your local craigslist for a studio liquidating. Alesis makes a great one.
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby strumminsix » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:10 am

Where is the noise:
- when playing
- when not playing

Is the noise:
- indicative of the unit
- indicative of the application

I think you've gotten good responses so far but this will definately help!
strumminsix

Postby RiverRat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:36 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:18 am

RiverRat wrote:The GR-20 use an AC adapter instead of a 3 prong IEC plug like the V series... So the unit has a floating ground.

Inline 1:1 transformer... since it doesn't offer XLR or TRS balanced outputs. That will isolate the GR and amp from each other.

Thanks Riverrat. I just realized the Gr20 has only a two prong extension cord. The Gr20 goes into a 3 prong outlet extension cord and into my power conditioner. I have fed the midi signal to my guitar amp and also the pa and both produce the same noise, so that rules out my guitar amp.

You think you could give me a link for that Inline Transformer?
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby RiverRat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:39 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:06 pm

I plugged in a 1/4" trs plug adapter for some headphones into the mono output jack and the noise is still there. So that means it's an internal problem?
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby RiverRat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:39 pm

I tried both left and right outputs. I guess that just brings me to my original conclusion that the 600$ Gr20's are just big pieces of plastic crap. Love it though. I'll just go on ebay and see if I can find a cheap noise gate I could use for the midi signal and if it works better than I expect it will, then maybe I'll run my guitar signal through it too for my distortion pedals.

Thanks guys!
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion