Flanger intervention

Chat about Equipment Info

Flanger intervention

Postby playingdead » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:58 pm

Okay ... how do I get my rhythm guitarist to lose the flanger ... it sounds like it's throwing up during the anthem break on Estimated. And most of the rest of the second set :?

http://52vincentdrive.com/080710estimated.mp3

Or should I just sabotage it? "It's not working? Bummer!" LOL

(I still love ya anyway, Jimbo!)

playingdead

Re: Flanger intervention

Postby Chuckles » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:30 pm

LMAO!

I remember when I bought a BF-2 years ago, our singer was all, "flangers are so passe'". Not for Bobby players...

Just play it back for Jimbo and let him hear it; that should suffice. His playing and voicings are sooo tasty... he doesn't have to lean on the flange so much... 8)
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:11 pm

Don't be so hard on Jimbo! He's trying something out here, it didn't destroy the song, but it was a bit hot.

It could be worse, I am hoping my Rhythm Guitarist will ditch the damn mud bogging Peavey he loves, but it does have its moments. Cold Fixed bias tubes? COME ON! that should be against the law.

As good as Jimbo is, he should be able to find his way though this... Unless he just got it, then you have to hear it for a little while longer....
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Stevo123 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:00 pm

The effect is a bit dominant, but he certainly knows how to wield it to produce some interesting sounds! Either way the playing is stellar.

I've certainly heard Bob experiment with even more f*ed up dominant effects than that!
Stevo123
Mickey
Mickey

Postby brutusbuck45 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:22 am

I've heard worse from Weir, himself. IMO, there was not too much good about his chainsaw-like, OD from the '92-95 era. (it actually could have started before '92).
But, then, I am quite fond of that late 70's, bright and sometimes thin sounding, Ibanez-era.

I do think the Flanger can get overdone... It can be a bit muddy and swirly. Most times with Weir, it seems like less is always more.
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:38 am

It's an ancient secret that I can only reveal if you can help me find that exact shirt. :cheers:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby keirweir » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 am

Vic,

I am somewhat to blame here! I let Jimbo check out my Boss phase shifter (which has to be what he's using?) at the $10 gold gig. He later told me he got one!

I have a nice bobby setting for it but its less obvious than Jims setting. I can get a nice MXR phaser on it as well.

Sorry man
keirweir

Postby RiverRat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:44 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby strumminsix » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:52 am

Been there before. Tried a few things and only 2 things worked:
- ask what qualities he feels it adds to his tone. Then explore with him different ways to get those qualities.
- point blank to go without it. Advise the whole band maybe you'd like to do an effectlesss show and really concentrate on organic dynamics.
strumminsix

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:03 am

I think its sounds good, a little too much maybe but certainly not bad. It kinda reminds me of the 78 Red Rocks tone. I did find that from your point of view (Vic) it seemed to be competing with the wah tone you were playing. There is nothing wrong with a little flange sometimes, Less is more!
jdsmodulus

Postby strumminsix » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:41 am

I guess I'm from a different camp that says the sweetest sound is a guitar into an amp.

I could easily do shows without effects. I think the only things stopping me are wireless units since I run our sound often and good tuners.
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:34 am

LOL! You're right, it could be a phaser ... he said something after the show about not being able to turn it off during the second set for some reason ... allegedly.

It was the slow cycle speed of it coupled with the extreme depth that I found particularly distracting. It reminded me of Frampton's Golden Throat talk box or something. This is probably his first chance to hear it on a recording, so I'll have to report back what he has to say. He's in for a little razzing. But no one does a better Weir than him. Even if he makes you roll your eyes with the "ha!" flourishes.

Tony the drummer's expression says it all ...

playingdead

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:52 am

I like Jimbos "ha's" now that is not somethiing alot of folks can pull off, but he sure does!! :cool:
jdsmodulus

Postby playingdead » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 am

I just figured it out, I think ... he told me he couldn't turn it off during the second set and couldn't understand why ... it had a flashing green and red light and wouldn't shut off. He finally freaked out and unplugged it completely.

It has a tap tempo on it ... he must have activated it trying to shut it off by stepping on it for too long and didn't know to step on it again and hold it till it turned off. So every time he stepped on it to try and turn it off, he was changing the rate, and he changed it until it was sooooooo slooooooow it started doing that weird crap.

I'm remixing the first set right now, he's using it during Shakedown, and he's getting an awesome early 80s Weir tone out of it.

Ironically, I gave him an old Crybaby wah that he usually uses during Shakedown (it was our set opener and the only tune he usually uses a wah on) and he told me he went to turn it on and couldn't figure out why it kept shutting off every time he rocked it ... he finally realized he had it on the pedal board upside down so when he rocked it back it was shutting off.
Last edited by playingdead on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
playingdead

Postby Pete B. » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:35 am

The Jerry guys MutronIII tone doesn't sound Jerry enough to me (too muddy, just doesn't sound like a MuIII). Is that a Mutron III?...(maybe crank the Peak up a notch).
I would also ask to lose the Sax patch on the keys if it were me.
The slow throaty flange didn't bother me in this context.
fwiw, I'm sure the audience doesn't hear any of these issues.
Pete B.

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion