Morning Dew

Chat about Equipment Info

Morning Dew

Postby playingdead » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:22 pm

It just doesn't get any more powerful for Jerry's guitar ... wish the video was clearer but you can see him when the lights are right.

Reckon that's the Distortion + (obligatory gear content).
playingdead

Re: Morning Dew

Postby CoolBreeze » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:00 pm

That tape was just Golden in my collection- and was my "go-to" Dew for years- mighty, to say the least.
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Mandoborg » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:22 pm

This show was always an enigma to me as, while i did catch the Providence 87 run, the last for me, i was off the bus by this time and this seemed to be 'The Dew' of the later yars.......it's ok, but the vocals and guitar playing for me are sad in a way....... instead of feeling great, some of this stuff actually made me feel kind of sad for Jerry and what was going on..........so i got off the bus with the fondest of memories........
I think i understand what Vic is saying however, tone wise this is pretty wild for Garcia....... even lets a few notes sustain !!!..........
This is a link to a little ditty i call my favorite Morning Dew from a show that gets no respect but burns begining to end............If you listen to this Dew from the begining, cue in on Phil who undestands Jerry is feeling this song and pushes him hard as it gets going............. even Jerrys voice is really outstanding for this period............ Phil starts dropping bombs at the 4:00 mark.......... This is a great version of this song ..........

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1984-0 ... sbeok.shnf
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby bodiddley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Don't get me wrong because I do think it's a great version, but I always thought the first part of the buildup was pretty sloppy. I'll listen again and let ya know where i'm talking about. Please don't get the panties in a wad over this, I mean no disrespect.
bodiddley

Postby playingdead » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Anybody who was lucky enough to catch the Dead at Madison Square Garden, particularly during the late 70s through the mid-late 80s ... knows those were serious high-energy shows. I don't recall too many other Morning Dews where Jerry just said, fuck it, I'm leaving the overdrive on right from the git-go and driving it straight into the stratosphere.

I saw dozens of quiet, dynamic, introspective and spellbinding Morning Dews that built to satisfying crescendos, but this one was just Jerry laying it down as only he can. It was like he could barely contain the energy that was sizzling through his guitar that night, hanging on for dear life. The power chords at the end were great, too.

And, of course, he followed it up with ... La Bamba!

playingdead

Postby Chuckles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:00 pm

My one and only MSG show... it was a killer!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby sillydog2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:27 pm

So SICK! I love that Morning Dew, I used to listen to that all the time. I saw a bunch of good ones over the years but missed this one and it still gives me chills, especially today. We miss you Jerry.
sillydog2
tiger
tiger

Postby keirweir » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 am

1987 Grateful Dead = My favorit year

:hail:
keirweir

Postby tcsned » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:58 am

cool stuff - this one was one of my favs that I saw: along with Richmond '85 - a couple of funky notes in the walk up thing but otherwise pretty intense.

Pretty sure this was the tour that finally flunked me out of college - pulled a whopping .4 QCA that semester. Thankfully I pulled out of the ashes a few years later :cool:
tcsned

Postby vwjodyme » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:20 am

Wow, Sick Morning Dew :hail:
man, i should have been born earlier :lol:
vwjodyme

Postby Imagined Days » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:49 am

I got the chills from that ending of that one!!! Thanks tcsned!!!!!
Imagined Days
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby chummy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:57 am

Hey tcsned. I caught that tour. Same thing happend to me. Hampton did me right in! Pulled a 1.0 GPA and had to negotiate my way back in. Do you remeber in Hampton when Bob was climing the speakers during sugar mag!
chummy
bruce
bruce

Postby tcsned » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:46 am

chummy wrote:Hey tcsned. I caught that tour. Same thing happend to me. Hampton did me right in! Pulled a 1.0 GPA and had to negotiate my way back in. Do you remeber in Hampton when Bob was climing the speakers during sugar mag!

Yep I remember that - it was even funnier in Philly, looked like he was going to do the same thing but he ran up and there was like an 8 foot climb up the speakers at that show :shock:

Yeah, I was just starting my band The Kind when I kinda went on tour and bailed on the semester - one year off turned into 5. Went back graduated, got 2 MA's and all but a dissertation for a PhD - proof anyone can resurrect from doing something stupid :)
tcsned

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion