Feedback on SMS Preamp

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Feedback on SMS Preamp

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks to Waldo's suggestion I replaced my plate resistors in my TRRI with the Dale's. I can say, especially with the the RI's you are doing a mod worth the trouble. I am not sure about the older fenders, but the TRRI's had tiny little radio shack resistors, who knows made of what, but probably carbon comp. Actually, Radio shack resistors would have been an upgrade. With The tone stack changed too, the change was notable. If you choose to mess with your RI read up on working with circuit boards and how to change out components, Its easy to burn the board if you're not careful. Waldo's site also may help you understand some of the other "Jerry" mods that can/may be options for you.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:00 pm

While the RI Fenders are not at all fun to work on, I agree with Johnny Boy that it's worth it. They do use cheapo carbon film or metal film type resistors, and the plate resistors may be power-types, can't remember. Either way, what they use is not the greatest stuff. Also their coupling cap's are not the goods either. When in there, I recommend looking at Waldo's diagrams and upgrade the critical signal path components to the Jerry/Healy style (to the best of our knowledge, of course). I just upgraded Jay Farrar's DRRI the other day, and it was impressive how much more like a "real" Fender the thing sounded after replacing the "crapacitors" and cheapo resistors.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby tcsned » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:50 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I just upgraded Jay Farrar's DRRI the other day, and it was impressive how much more like a "real" Fender the thing sounded after replacing the "crapacitors" and cheapo resistors.
Brad

Is that the guy from Son Volt? Cool band, I played lap steel on a cover of Windfall I believe with a local band here in the 'burg
tcsned

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Yup, the Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt guy. He's local here in St. Lou.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby strummingturtle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:44 am

been running the sms classic with jerry mods, powered by the rocktron velocity 300 coming out a jbl K-120 8ohm, and man I am in heaven. Thanks Brad! Such great tone and no unwanted noise at all. The only complaint might be from my wife, because as soon as I come home from work it's straight to my music room till the wee hours of the night.
Brad keep up the good work
Peace
strummingturtle
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion