stereo splitting

Chat about Equipment Info

stereo splitting

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:10 pm

If one was wanting to split their signal from their preamp into a stereo amp what would be the best options? Is it possible to retain fidelity by hard wire splitting the signal to two different jacks?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Re: stereo splitting

Postby paulkogut » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:11 pm

I have a SMS Classic pre split by a y-chord into 2 channels of a Walter Woods stereo amp. I was getting a stereo split through a Lexicon LXP-1, but when it gave up the ghost, I decided that the SMS had all the reverb I needed. Brad recommended just using a simple y-chord for the split. The one he eventually built for me sounded slightly better than the one I cobbled together from Radio Shack adapters, but even that one was fine. I can't speak for all pre/pwr combinations, but the y-chord is working fine in my rig.

PK
paulkogut
Donna
Donna

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:30 pm

That is what I was assuming. thanks!
JonnyBoy

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Now, few weeks later getting the MC250 going here, I gigged last weekend with my 2x12 each on its own amp channel in stereo. To my ears it was sounding muddy and not as clear as usual. The sound changed considerably and I lost my "Twang"... the usual MC50 hooked to a 1x12 was ideal before, and I thought getting another speaker into the mix would be more full of a sound.
I opted to go with what I know after the second song that night, turn off the bottom speaker and go with a 1x12 and wala, the tone and sound is back.
before the gig that day, I went to Radio shack, bought a project box and hard split the mono signal into 2 separate mono signals. Is this an appropriate method of splitting or is there more to this? I have seen some products that claim to split signals, but I assume they are doing the same thing considering they are cheap and not complex looking, but never opened one up.
Does anyone know how the boys in DSO and JGB are accomplishing this task of stereo splitting, I want to rule out the connection/junction so that I know I don't need new speakers or something else.... Yes I did try both as 1x12 and great sound. No I did not Try in parallel yet, but I've used in parallel without problems using my Mosvalve in the past. Hummmm,,,?
JonnyBoy

Postby Chuckles » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:45 pm

FWIW, JonS had Brad build his SMS-JG Classic (#61) with twin outputs, which he runs to both channels of his power amp. Sounds nice, and there's a redundancy there should one of the channels fail. That said, I'm kinda on the side of running everything through one channel (my SMS is #67) to get the most drive out of it, but there are good arguments to be made for both positions, not the least of which is that with two channel outputs I could direct one to my 2xE120 cab and one to my K120 with individual volume adjustments... but that is waaaay more complicated than this needs to be!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Chuckles wrote:FWIW, JonS had Brad build his SMS-JG Classic (#61) with twin outputs, which he runs to both channels of his power amp. Sounds nice, and there's a redundancy there should one of the channels fail. That said, I'm kinda on the side of running everything through one channel (my SMS is #67) to get the most drive out of it, but there are good arguments to be made for both positions, not the least of which is that with two channel outputs I could direct one to my 2xE120 cab and one to my K120 with individual volume adjustments... but that is waaaay more complicated than this needs to be!

I am starting to think this way too, simplicity. I already have every cord I own in use this way. Nothing like adding more cable to the run! I thought I heard Stu was using his 250 in stereo to power each E-120, if so it is probably some SMS magic stereo out.

Mono sounds great (one side and one speaker) which for my gigs is plenty. I can always mic for a longer throw. I am making this a mole hill mountain I guess. but for shits and giggles, I would love to know how if I could and wanted to.
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:09 pm

I did run my Twin using a mono "Y" splitter (mono 1/4" to 2xRCA mono) into both channels of an MC2120 and running one E120 on each channel. It sounded great. Then my splitter broke and I stopped doing it.

Now I just run one channel on 4 ohms into the 2x12" cab.
mijknahs

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:19 am

mijknahs wrote:I did run my Twin using a mono "Y" splitter (mono 1/4" to 2xRCA mono) into both channels of an MC2120 and running one E120 on each channel. It sounded great. Then my splitter broke and I stopped doing it.

Now I just run one channel on 4 ohms into the 2x12" cab.

How is one channel/4 ohm by comparison?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mijknahs » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:16 am

It's not that different. The stereo just gives you control over the volume of each speaker. You notice more of a change if you down load the speakers (use the 2 ohm tap for a 4 ohm speaker load). You're not getting full power but the tone is different and it tends to clip earlier.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby RiverRat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:25 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:12 pm

It looks like I did it right, the next issue would be the fact that the speakers were a mix of commonwealth and E-120. that may be making a sonic clash.
JonnyBoy

Postby Chuckles » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Just dawned on me... if I were to split from the SMS to two channels of the MosValve, is there a problem with running one channel of the power amp into 8 ohms and the other into 4? I believe they are discrete channels when run in stereo mode, but I can't find any lit on it...

(Yeah, I know.. I said KISS... but a guy's gotta wonder about such things and explore them, no? 8) )

Chuckles

Postby mijknahs » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:59 pm

If they are separate stereo channels then you can run whatever speaker load you want. 8 ohm on one and 4 ohm on the other should be just fine.
mijknahs

Postby Chuckles » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:06 am

mijknahs wrote:If they are separate stereo channels then you can run whatever speaker load you want. 8 ohm on one and 4 ohm on the other should be just fine.

That's what I thought... thanks for the confirmation!
:smile:

Chuckles

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:20 am

Chuckles wrote:Just dawned on me... if I were to split from the SMS to two channels of the MosValve, is there a problem with running one channel of the power amp into 8 ohms and the other into 4? I believe they are discrete channels when run in stereo mode, but I can't find any lit on it...

(Yeah, I know.. I said KISS... but a guy's gotta wonder about such things and explore them, no? 8) )

That's the kind of crap that happens to me and then I just have to know. I followed the advice and went to Radio Shack. They had a female mono to 2x male mono all 1/4". they had some that were stereo and a mix of stereo and mono. Its not extremely clear on the package either, you had to really look for an English explanation. It cost $4.99.
JonnyBoy

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion