What guitar is Jerry Playing Here?

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: What guitar is Jerry Playing Here?

Postby vwjodyme » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:08 am

Awesome! Now I know what I am shooting for with my p90's sg :cool:
vwjodyme

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Crazy 9.5 Fingers wrote:Can I assume that he was using this axe for the Feb shows in '71 Capitol Theater in particular, and April at the Fillmore East?

That hard, tube driving neck pickup tone is probably my fave Jerry tone. 4/28/71 Hard To Handle, my favorite all time. Nastiness.

late seeing this specific inquiry. True that we have seen Feb and April pics with the Rick Turner LP/Peanut, but want to add that in April a Guild S-100 (basically an SG copy) was also in rotation, as briefly seen in the home movie from Duke 4/12/71. Stock pups on the S-100 are similar to PAF's , but who knows what were in Jerry's...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mijknahs » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:33 pm

You probably won't go wrong using some kind of mahogany bodied guitar with vintage style humbuckers. I have a 30 year old Gibson XR-1 and it gets a killer 68-71 tone (depending on the amp config) especially with the neck pickup.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:32 am

I came across this photo and, since no one seems to have posted it yet, thought I'd put it up for your viewing pleasure. Also found one of him playing a brown Telecaster.

wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:11 pm

wolftigerrosebud wrote:I came across this photo and, since no one seems to have posted it yet, thought I'd put it up for your viewing pleasure. Also found one of him playing a brown Telecaster.

I love the PA in this shot! :lol:

The guitar is circa 1960 Les Paul Junior w/ a single P-90 bridge pickup; from Jerry's look the pic appears to have been taken in 1968 sometime. Maybe borrowed, maybe he was between Les Paul Customs?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Griz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:18 pm

I know, it's only tuck n roll, but I like it.
Griz
tiger
tiger

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:11 pm

it indeed is a les paul junior but to add to this, it is a TV version.

here is a quote from wikipedia about why it is called a TV version.

It was originally released in sunburst, but Gibson introduced the TV version, because of the Junior's unforeseen popularity among professional musicians, who would be featured playing the guitar on television, and therefore a color that would look good on black and white television was introduced. Today this is known as TV Yellow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul_Junior

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Grant » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:55 pm

I think the photo is more likely summer 67 being that there appears to be only one drum kit.

wolftigerrosebud - could you please post that Tele pic?
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion