Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby FrettyBoy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:14 am

Diggey wrote:Dude that alligator looks great!!!

Thanks Diggey. I'm quite happy with it! It was a long road to getting it right for ME though. I originally had a Warmoth Boatneck on it that I got off a guy on the TDPRI. It was a Vintage Modern with 22 frets and they were huge to boot. I got it at a great price so I jumped. Lesson learned? I MUST have a Total Vintage neck with the small Fender wire (6230)!

I also had my typically favorite Strat pickups in it, the Fender 57/62. I've been dedicated to them for years. For some reason they just didn't do it for me in this guitar. When I piut the DiMarzios in...BINGO. They just make the Strat BIGGER and it responds beautifully, it really "jumps".

Anywho its always "to each his own" but it's a formula that turned this guitar into a favorite!

Thanks for looking, and your comments.
Fred
FrettyBoy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby boater1941 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Here's my Phred

boater1941
Donna
Donna

Postby Utah Joe » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:32 pm

I've discussed these under various other threads but thought I'd post them all here for posterity. My collection is small but growing. So far it includes a 1973 Startocaster, 2014 Firebird and 2013 Scott Walker Phantom. Each has the Walker booster/buffer system installed and the Firebird and Phantom also have an OBEL. All are tone monsters. The acoustic is a Taylor 710 I bought in the mid-90's.

As an aside, I brought my Phantom to a RatDog concert this summer. Bobby and Steve were very gracious and agreed to sign the inside of the rear control panel for me.

I took some pictures of Bobby and Steve playing the Phantom too but I'm not sure if it's cool to post those. I'll be happy to do it if a moderator thinks it's OK but I don't want to be presumptuous as these pictures certainly don't represent a product endorsement. I can say that Steve loved it and owns a couple of Scott's guitars himself. Bobby appreciated the quality but said that it was a bit heavier than he would prefer (it weighs in at about 8.6 lbs).
Utah Joe
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:26 am

For posterity- here's my (mostly) Jerry guitars (banjo not included):

1967 Guild Starfire II (just visiting)
1995 Gibson SG '61 Reissue
Wolfish (Precision Guitar Kits- very modified SG Junior kit)
Phiga Tiger
Takamine acoustic EG340LH
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby paulinnc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:57 pm

:-? Here is my wolf that is finally completed. I will be getting it in the next few weeks once I pay it all off.

paulinnc

Postby bluemule » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:44 pm

Here is my latest build. I changed up the electronics on this one. It still has an obel, jg preamp, and stratoblaster but the pickups are a little different. I went with a Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian in the neck, humbucker in the middle, and dual blade in the bridge. I really like his pickups as it is very easy to swap out the magnets to experiment. I've been playing around with the middle pickup's magnets a little. I had a Alnico 2 in there and swapped it out with a Ceramic. It definitely approaches the typical Dimarzio split sound with the ceramic but its fun to get a little more vintage sound with the alnico 2 in there.
To my ears this electronic setup can cover strat era to later tiger sounds and beyond. Working with the on board preamps does take some getting used to though. I grew up playing a passive strat and the volume was always dimed to get it to sound right. There are so many useful positions on the master volume of this guitar. The beauty of preamps is that you can really turn your amp up more and get it cooking while keeping the master volume on the guitar down. It doesn't hurt to be able to turn up the master volume though and get a super punchy guitar sound. It even sounds good with the preamps stacked.
dead, mule, skb, dtb, abb, jgb, moe, phish, buddy guy, blue floyd, old&intheway
bluemule
Donna
Donna

Postby bluemule » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:21 pm

Here is one I did for a member here. He wanted to drill his own holes so I sold it as a kit. Hopefully he'll post it when finished. http://s468.photobucket.com/user/cocobo ... /Wolf%2002
dead, mule, skb, dtb, abb, jgb, moe, phish, buddy guy, blue floyd, old&intheway
bluemule
Donna
Donna

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:41 am

bluemule wrote:Here is one I did for a member here. He wanted to drill his own holes so I sold it as a kit. Hopefully he'll post it when finished. http://s468.photobucket.com/user/cocobo ... /Wolf%2002

That member would be me! It's coming along great!
I glued and set the neck, drilled all control/switch/output jack/pickup wiring holes and cut the slot for the 5 way selector switch.
I completed finishing the wood and have been waiting for it to cure completely before the final rubbing and buffing. It should be ready for that in about another week.
After that, I will install the hardware and do all the electronics. It will be wired exactly as Tiger (three super 2 version).
I will post pics when completed :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby James-T » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:03 pm

I really lucked out on CL scoring a very nice custom guitar just in time for my 50th. First custom, new to me, and given its a 2009, its still new. Bought it from a bass player and it never left the case. For a Jerry guy the guitar was almost perfect stock from the builder. I added a Wald UGB (pulled from my PRS Torero) and had my guitar tech guy add a coil spit to each of the humbuckers. New volume pots so I can activate the single coils (pull option) and I was good to go, with a light fret dress and setup. For $900CDN including a hardshell case (also never seen the light of day) it was one sweet score, and it sat on CL for a while. I suppose Vancouverites are a name brand bunch. :smile:

Ebony fretboard, 25.5" scale neck, Mahogany fret board binding, flame maple/ with mahogany laminations for the neck and a sweet flame maple carved top with a super sweet ebony bevel. 10.5 lbs. Ebony headstock. Definitely the sweetest guitar I've played to date.

It's remarkable how close the pick-ups are so close to a super 2/ dual sound combo (8Kohms/ 13.5Kohms). The push the amp nicely into OD and clean up when backed off on the volume.

Here's some pics, and a demo - no effects except OD through my Fractal Ultra.

Peace,

James

James-T

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:16 am

Sweet guitar! Nice playin too :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby James-T » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks Jim!
James-T

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:54 am

Well, I finally finished this!
The body and neck were made by Craig Parker, aka bluemule here at RUKIND. Beautiful work! Craig routed out the pickup, control and battery cavities. Craig also drilled the bushing holes for the bridge and the holes for the tuners.
I glued and set the neck, finished the wood, drilled all the control holes etc. The pickup ring, selector switch plate, and output jack plate were made by Scarlet Fire Guitars.
Rosebud wiring with Waldo's pre/buffer. Plays great and sounds great. Clips to follow. :smile:

Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Slick! More info- Wood? Layers? Why the wraparound?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:19 pm

Neck- Eastern hard flame Maple, Purpleheart, Flame maple, Purpleheart, Flame maple.
Body- Flame Maple, Purpleheart, Maple, Purpleheart, Maple, Purpleheart core, Maple, Purpleheart, Maple, Purpleheart, Flamed Maple.
Ebony headstock veneer on Front and Back.
Ebony Fret board.
24 fret
25 1/2" Scale
I debated for a long time about what bridge I wanted. Craig recommended this Pigtail intonable wrap around and since the stud spacing is 1 3/4" I'm giving it a try. All aluminum including the saddles. The saddle adjustment screws are chrome plated brass. I can easily change it out to any bridge/tail piece if necessary. So far I'm really diggin the crisp tone of the aluminum as well as the string tension that comes along with a wrap around.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby joethepainter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:27 pm

That's a very nice guitar. Congrats! :-)
joethepainter
Terrapin
Terrapin

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion