that distinctive 74 tone

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby strumminsix » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:35 am

Something interesting to consider when thinking of Aligator's "sound"...

Throughout time (ya I know like some 40 odd years) strats have sounded higher pitched while humbuckers have had a lower tone.

However, JG seemed to strive for a more balanced tone with rich and deep low complimented by bright and chimey high end.

That is one aspsect of JG that I've take with me!
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:12 am

8)
Last edited by waldo041 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:32 pm

I have already had the UGB, loop and Super II in my Strat for a couple of years, (went with a novel approach to my loop jack placement. I'll post a pic tonight maybe.) It does take getting used to, but once you do, you can't go back! That's why I can't really play my newer Schecter until I "tigerize" it. I did play it with it's "normal" wiring for about 6 months and maybe a dozen gigs, but then I recovered my Strat...

Every pic I have seen of Jerry playing the Alligator has had all the controls intact. I am pretty sure the vol would have been removed later... who knows why. Who owns it? One of the crew maybe... I seem to recall a rumor but not the name.

And which E72 pic are you referring to?
tigerstrat

Postby Laytonco » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:02 pm

To all,
This is really cool seeing the Alembic references. Anyone interested in the Dead and their instruments needs to go to Alembic.com and read the history. Along with designing the instruments, the Wall Of Sound, and mastering a couple albums, guess who lived upstairs in the studio? Robert Thomas who designed several of the Dead's album covers. He also designed the Alembic logo. I am particularly interested because last year I bought an Alembic Tribute which is basically "Rosebud" but with new electronics. The guitar is amazing!
Laytonco

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:31 pm

tigerstrat wrote:I have already had the UGB, loop and Super II in my Strat for a couple of years, (went with a novel approach to my loop jack placement. I'll post a pic tonight maybe.) It does take getting used to, but once you do, you can't go back!

This guitar was stolen from me last summer, then six months (of keeping close tabs on Craigslist)later, the thieves posted trying to sell it and lucky for me were foolish enough to post a photo of it, enabling me to get the assistance of police in recovering it. A RECOVERED stolen guitar!!

Notice the loop jack? The big black knob where the front Tone used to be is now my Vol, and the rear Tone control is universal for all settings
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:04 pm

8)
Last edited by waldo041 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:29 pm

Thanks and yeah it's a JB Jr. in the neck. Pretty sweet medium-output p/u, actually a relic of the guitar's previous version. It's really nice to move the Vol control the hell away from the strings: I used to always accidentally turn myself down brushing against the knob, and the right-angle cable end actually serves as an additional bumper-guard to pretty much prevent that from happening.

Here's one I think from Dec 71 Felt Forum that shows the area in question pretty well.

and this one is just so awesome...:smile: :smile: :smile: nice to get a glimpse of the pyramid of '68 SF Twins too.
tigerstrat

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion