Single Coil Pickup - search and test

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Single Coil Pickup - search and test

Postby Jon S. » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:02 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Here are some interesting candidates:

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyleSP42.asp

Based on personal experience, I think you'd be better off, if you go Fralin, with a Steel Pole 43. The trick is to ask Lindy to tap it at 6.0K ohms and connect the tap to a minitoggle. Then you get the best of both worlds, untapped at 8.5K ohms a gnarly SC that's P90-ish in its edge but without all of the girth, at 6.0K a classic Strat tone that I believe is quite close to what you're seeking.

I since moved it to my new Jerrycaster but as I haven't gotten around to photographing the new one yet, here's my first J-caster. The Steel Pole 43 is in the middle. (Interestingly, my two HBs are Fralin Unbuckers. The sound gorgeous split but I'm not sure they're what I'm seeking for my HBs.)

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Darn double post! :o
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby lunasparks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Brad, any verdict reached yet on the best single coil?

Anxious to hear the final word when it comes down!
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby gpilcher2001 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi, everybody new around here, my first post. Seems I've read around here that someone talked to dimarzio and they have a couple of suggestions. Could be worth a call to them.
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion