Outboard GGG Stratoblaster Problem

Chat about Equipment Info

Outboard GGG Stratoblaster Problem

Postby lunasparks » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:31 am

I have a GGG stratoblaster stompbox that I bought pre-assembled on ebay. I've been powering it with a 9v battery but decided to get a 1-Spot to power from the wall. Everything works fine with battery power, but with the wall wart I'm getting this kind of background white noise, definitely audible and definitely unacceptable.

Unfortunately, my electronics skills are minimal but if anybody can help me to diagnose what's a causing this hissing sound (and what I could maybe do about it) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vince
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Re: Outboard GGG Stratoblaster Problem

Postby jdsmodulus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:16 am

I wondered about the 1spot as well. For instance would it power anything bigger than a stomp? I was at the big box store and they seemed to think it was no problem. My RT reverb has a home made power supply and it works fine but its big and I would like to clean up some of that extra rear rack items.
jdsmodulus

Postby strumminsix » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:40 am

1 spots work just fine but route all cables carefully.

Godlyke also makes one that many prefer since they are 2000mva
strumminsix

Postby Billbbill » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:12 pm

I have the same box - I assembled it - I've had no problems. If you're using a multi 1 spot be careful that any unused jacks don't touch any metal - that'll give you some noise. If using a single try it w/ another pedal and rule in/out whether the 1 spot is a lemon. Lastly open it up and check the solder job at the a/c jack and any possible bare wires attached that may be touching on another etc. Make sure the solder job is 'clean' and not 'bleeding' to another wire/casing point.

That's all I got.
Billbbill

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:02 am

Could it be that your wall outlet is the problem ?
If the other suggestions dont work check plugging it into a different outlet somewhere else in the house ...
good luck dude
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:50 am

I almost bought a GGG SBB. I opted for the LPB1 from EHX because it was the SAME PRICE NEW AT THE MUSIC STORE!! The guy at GGG also told me in an EMail that the SBB wouldn't be the best for clean tones, that led me to believe it is not the real Alembic circuit. Since Alembic strives to produce high quality clean tones that was a red flag. But I know nothing of this matter for real. I do know that boosters boost all signals good and bad. Try a Furman power conditioner they work wonders (40 used-60 bucks). Guitar center has them for $49 right now. That will solve the electrical problem and keep it confined to your rig for issues. I like to keep mine the first in the effects chain (LPB1). It works great to tweak the Qtron's Gain without changing the guitars volume. I liked the advice about checking the work of the amateur electrician that made it in the first place. A little blob of solder can cause a huge problem. Good Luck!! :cool:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Jerry1996x » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:20 pm

Is this thing pretty close to the Stratoblaster? I want to get one for a new axe but for half the price this thing seems like a no brainer... BTW, did this problem ever get resolved?
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:52 pm

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion