Mods done to John Kahn's P-bass?

Chat about Equipment Info

Mods done to John Kahn's P-bass?

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Why didn't I find this pic sooner?

Here I've been wanting to put my old semi-functioning P-bass back to stock to get that John Kahn tone, and now I find out I was over halfway to my own John Kahn-style bass all along! :cool: Already have the right bridge and everything.

Anyone happen to know what that pickup is? My guess is that it's a good old Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder, since they were very common replacements in the 70's and 80's and came with cream covers.
Rusty the Scoob

Re: Mods done to John Kahn's P-bass?

Postby strumminsix » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Rusty, this is of no technical help but total encouragement....

I find Kahn's bass playing on most everything I hear him on to be sooo damn tasty!

Like he has the trifecta:
- right approach to the instrument
- right guitar for the player
- right amp for the both the player, style and instrument!

Go, man, go!
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Yep, looks right to me. I have a '73 P-Bass that I got from the guy who plays bass in my band and I remember him telling my that he had replaced his with SD Quarter Pounder as they were about all that was available when he replaced them in the mid 70s.
tcsned

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks, Ned and S6!

'73s are getting valuable! I wish I'd known that in the 80's, back when they sold for less than new Fenders.

I'm excited to be putting my old blue bass to use again! I can't believe I didn't find that pic earlier... I'd have done this a long time ago.

I totally agree with everything you said about him, S6. Tasty, funky, down and dirty, but so sweet at the same time... really sounded good behind Jerry in a totally different way than Phil.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Jerry and Kahn are like Peanut butter and jelly, total synergy. The sound together is intense to say the least. Great conversation between bass and guitar, some of my favorite shit for sure is the acoustic duo stuff. I can never get the Youtube feature to work here so here is a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JntmWtqi9U
Last edited by Crazy 9.5 Fingers on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby ugly rumor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:51 pm

Those could also be DiMarzio's. My first bass had them, and the sound was incredible. But they looked similar. That was about 1975.
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:27 am

Ooooh, VERY good call on the DiMarzios, that could definitely be true.

Blowing up the pic it looks like it might have the famous DiMarzio adjustable pole-pieces. (Which are totally redundant on a P-bass IMHO since you can easily set the pickup to string distance for each individual string already)

DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan.png
DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan.png (47.78 KiB) Viewed 1647 times

Anyone know a Youtube that shows this bass off well, with good sound?
Rusty the Scoob

Postby jonarobb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:47 am

They look like they have the hex pole pieces that Dimarzio was using in the 70's for their P-Bass replacement pups. They only had like 2 sets to choose from back then. They seem to be all over eBay. Look for Dimarzio PAF P-Bass Pickups.

Like these: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg
jonarobb

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:39 am

Yeah, those DiMarzio pickups are everywhere, same with the Leo Quan Badass II bridge that's on it... so many Fenders over the years have had that exact bridge. Mission Control had it as well in it's later years. Gotta love the cutting edge of 1970's bass technology for affordability and availability. :lol:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:48 am

jonarobb wrote:They look like they have the hex pole pieces that Dimarzio was using in the 70's for their P-Bass replacement pups. They only had like 2 sets to choose from back then. They seem to be all over eBay. Look for Dimarzio PAF P-Bass Pickups.

Like these: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg

Also looks like the pickups that are on the Irwin Tiger(-less) bass.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 pm

Definitely. With the J-pickup somehow missing in that pic. Interesting.

Anyone know the story on that bass after Phil played it? I know DSO had it for a little while.. I've seen a couple of Youtubes where Kevin is playing it - but I don't think they owned it outright.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:10 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Definitely. With the J-pickup somehow missing in that pic. Interesting.

Anyone know the story on that bass after Phil played it? I know DSO had it for a little while.. I've seen a couple of Youtubes where Kevin is playing it - but I don't think they owned it outright.

Kidd C. owns it. (the gold-top Les Paul too)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:23 pm

Ah cool. Thanks! I always liked the look of that bass.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:43 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Definitely. With the J-pickup somehow missing in that pic. Interesting.

Wait- what J-pup? Here's an action shot from 10/25/80. I don't recall ever seeing different pups on her.

Here is a HUGE shot of the J-Bass, Sept. 1981.
http://www.gankmore.com/cc/pictures/Phil_Lesh-Greek_81-1.jpg
tigerstrat

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:17 pm

If you look at both shots of the Irwin bass you see a rectangular routed hole near the bridge that I distinctly remember used to have a J-pickup in it. You can even see the rounded areas where the pickup's mounting tabs used to be... but I can't find a pic with it there. It was so close to the bridge that it probably didn't work well for Phil's tone and was removed pretty quickly. Maybe Thomas Lieber can confirm if he sees this and worked on that bass at all...

Very intresting shot I found here. Anyone know the backstory on this nice Tiger copy and why Phil is holding it?

Rusty the Scoob

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion