Terrific technical Garcia interview

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Terrific technical Garcia interview

Postby old man down » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:37 pm

In another interview he talks about how one of his tricks was simply playing REALLY loud and sticking to triads, that he didn't need to get too complicated.

I remember, too, buying this one off the news stand.

Hadn't read this in a while and its nice the way he really isn't that much different from the rest of us. He got to his level by 8 hours a day of practice and also being in a band to air out his ideas. It's all possible, just a matter of putting the time in and wanting it. Wanting it a lot!
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby FretWilkes » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:44 pm

old man down wrote:He got to his level by 8 hours a day of practice and also being in a band to air out his ideas. It's all possible, just a matter of putting the time in and wanting it. Wanting it a lot!

...and of course being incredibley gifted helps too. I don't care how much practice is done, you don't get to Jerry's level without some "extra help". You can certainly get good and extremely competant on your chosen instrument, but the lofty hights are reserved for a select few.
FretWilkes

Postby tcsned » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:59 pm

FretWilkes wrote:
old man down wrote:He got to his level by 8 hours a day of practice and also being in a band to air out his ideas. It's all possible, just a matter of putting the time in and wanting it. Wanting it a lot!

...and of course being incredibley gifted helps too. I don't care how much practice is done, you don't get to Jerry's level without some "extra help". You can certainly get good and extremely competant on your chosen instrument, but the lofty hights are reserved for a select few.

intelligence and dexterity help too
tcsned

Postby mijknahs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:22 pm

A lot of perspiration but some inspiration too!
mijknahs

Garcia's speed... series of deliberate slow picking?

Postby strumminsix » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:01 am

There was a side-bar here of folks talking about Jerry deliberately playing slower.

I've searched and searched and cannot come up with it!! HALP!

From what I recall the point was that Jerry made an effort to slow down his playing and hitting each note with a different authority.

Ringing any bells??
strumminsix

Re: Garcia's speed... series of deliberate slow picking?

Postby waldo041 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:26 am

SS,

i believe it is in one of the Guitar Player interviews where he talks about going thru these approaches.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:44 am

Indeed- the classic Oct '78 GP interview:

I’ve been through a lot of things like, for example, deciding never to play anything shorter than a half-note during a solo for a year in order to cut down the busy-ness. I get tired of busy stuff, and I decide that I want to exploit the single-note capability and the tone of the guitar, so for a period I play really slow leads regardless of the rhythmic path. After awhile I get tired of doing that and start working on developing speed.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like pure BS! Can we find ONE solo where he plays nothing "shorter than a half-note", let alone a whole year of them? What year? 1977? nope. 1976? LOL... see what I'm talking about? Very bizarre statement- one of the weirdest ones I've ever seen attributed to Jerry.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby hogan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 am

tigerstrat wrote:Indeed- the classic Oct '78 GP interview:

I’ve been through a lot of things like, for example, deciding never to play anything shorter than a half-note during a solo for a year in order to cut down the busy-ness. I get tired of busy stuff, and I decide that I want to exploit the single-note capability and the tone of the guitar, so for a period I play really slow leads regardless of the rhythmic path. After awhile I get tired of doing that and start working on developing speed.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like pure BS! Can we find ONE solo where he plays nothing "shorter than a half-note", let alone a whole year of them? What year? 1977? nope. 1976? LOL... see what I'm talking about? Very bizarre statement- one of the weirdest ones I've ever seen attributed to Jerry.

Yeah its a goofy statement and one of the ones that indicated to me that I should take jerry's quotes in print w/ a grain of salt. I will say this though, I hear this approach in his playing during late 71 to 74. That is to say he still played stuff that was busy but not all the time. He seemed to be consciously trying to not machine gun his way through tunes all the time. His playing seemed to get "greasier" during this period.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby strumminsix » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks!!! I'm wondering if he is maybe referring to a song where where he never plays faster than a quarter note?

I think it was a 77 Loser that I had on where I heard what can only be assumed deliberate long sustains and less notes.

Then I started thinking about much stronger his straight rhythm got in the 80s behind Brent's solos.

Then recalled these discussions. However I am pretty sure someone on this board had listed examples?!
strumminsix

Postby strumminsix » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:30 am

Merged topics and jeffm saves the day from a post in the way back machine.
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:36 am

strumminsix wrote:much stronger his straight rhythm got in the 80s behind Brent's solos.

I would attribute that even more to his time in JGB, backing up Merl, Keith, Ozzie, and esp. Melvin, post-'80.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:22 am

hogan wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Indeed- the classic Oct '78 GP interview:

Yeah its a goofy statement and one of the ones that indicated to me that I should take jerry's quotes in print w/ a grain of salt. I will say this though, I hear this approach in his playing during late 71 to 74. That is to say he still played stuff that was busy but not all the time. He seemed to be consciously trying to not machine gun his way through tunes all the time. His playing seemed to get "greasier" during this period.

While I agree that saying he did this EVERY gig during EVERY song is a goofy statement, I absolutely DID hear him with this approach. He may have not succeeded in playing nothing shorter than a 1/2 note but he sure as heck tried! You guys (hogan and Tiger) have so obviously listened to as much of this stuff as I have, if not more. This is mostly related to JGB shows, as I think JGB was his "testing ground" or "onstage rehearsal" for theory and technique.Especially during the early and mid 70's. Where I hear the "slow theory" most prevalent is between 74-77 with the various Garcia/Saunders - LOM - JGB configurations. I wish I could remember specific dates to illustrate my point but I can't. I will have just go back and listen hard again to a lot of shows and pick out the best examples. I dont ever think you will find a complete show or even a complete song that meets his statement. Certainly hyperbole on Jer's part, but I can definitely hear the intent of that comment in his playing.
Off the top of my head there are some super slow Let it rocks where he really plays his leads ...sllooowwww
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby hogan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:47 pm

jeffm725 wrote:While I agree that saying he did this EVERY gig during EVERY song is a goofy statement, I absolutely DID hear him with this approach. He may have not succeeded in playing nothing shorter than a 1/2 note but he sure as heck tried! You guys (hogan and Tiger) have so obviously listened to as much of this stuff as I have, if not more. This is mostly related to JGB shows, as I think JGB was his "testing ground" or "onstage rehearsal" for theory and technique.Especially during the early and mid 70's. Where I hear the "slow theory" most prevalent is between 74-77 with the various Garcia/Saunders - LOM - JGB configurations. I wish I could remember specific dates to illustrate my point but I can't. I will have just go back and listen hard again to a lot of shows and pick out the best examples. I dont ever think you will find a complete show or even a complete song that meets his statement. Certainly hyperbole on Jer's part, but I can definitely hear the intent of that comment in his playing.
Off the top of my head there are some super slow Let it rocks where he really plays his leads ...sllooowwww

Let it rock 12-20-74 comes to mind as a perfect example to what your saying, but you could insert any version from the time period. Another example of him appearing to be smoother and more expressive is 2-6-72 pacific high studios. The Imagine is something to behold as is the Who's loving you tonight. THe latter being a clinic in greasy slow blues. However, the That's alright later in the set doesn't seem to have a note longer than a 1/16th :shock:
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:09 pm

From the guitarist perspective - Ive always found Garcias interviews to be the most enlightening. Not only is he very articulate, he answers questions and goes very deeply into subjects that guitarists/musicians actually want to learn and read about.

For someone who knows nothing of composing music or playing an instrument that interview is totally over the head, but for someone who is constantly trying to get better at being a musician Garcias interviews are a god-send
caspersvapors

Postby Maybeck09 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Not only is he very articulate, he answers questions and goes very deeply into subjects that guitarists/musicians actually want to learn and read about.

I agree with caspersvapors. I love his interviews for that reason. That and the fact that he loves good conversation and was so smart. I've learned of many other guitarist and musicians that he references in interviews that I never would have otherwise.
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion