9v battery compartment for strat

Chat about Equipment Info

9v battery compartment for strat

Postby broesau » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:27 am

I found this on the Alembic forum and thought it was ingenious. I would have never in a million years think to flip the jack mounting plate. There aren't many places on a strat to mount a battery except under the pickguard and then it's a pain to remove the pg when it dies.
Attachments
35889.jpg
35889.jpg (99.43 KiB) Viewed 731 times
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: 9v battery compartment for strat

Postby strumminsix » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:50 am

Brilliant! I love simple effective solutions!
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:05 am

!!!

Kicking myself for not thinking of that. I might just try it.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:26 am

Im working on a strat mod right now, and although it looks like it would work, why not just move the 2 inputs to the edge of the guitar and put the battery where the input used to be? Since you are going to be adding the extra jack you could even put them lower on the top of the guitar and cover the old one.
jdsmodulus

Postby China Cat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:53 am

i can recommend this, i dont have any active electronics in my strat but i still flipped my jack a little bit ago because you can use straight tipped cords or use a right angle tipped cord and then pass it through your strap. it takes like 2 minutes as long as you have decent soldering skills
You do not merely want to be considered the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones that do what you do. - Jerry Garcia
China Cat
Billy
Billy

Postby jester536 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:26 pm

I thought about doing the flip on my Strat. I'm glad I went with the battery box...didn't really like the look of the flipped jack. But the jacks in the edge and the battery box call for a lot of drilling/routering...that's pretty nerve racking but I had a good guy helping me.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby mijknahs » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:07 pm

How about the tremelo spring cavity on the back? When I had a similar guitar, I disabled the tremelo with a piece of wood and removed a couple springs. Then put the battery there. Easy to route the wires there and easy to change the battery too.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:17 pm

mijknahs wrote:How about the tremelo spring cavity on the back? When I had a similar guitar, I disabled the tremelo with a piece of wood and removed a couple springs. Then put the battery there. Easy to route the wires there and easy to change the battery too.

Jim

thats where my stratoblaster battery is, but my strat is a hardtail so it works out perfect with no springs or retainers in that cavity........Id imagine with the standard 3 springs that it would be tough to fit a battery back there.......
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby mijknahs » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:33 pm

I effectively made mine a "hardtail" by wedging a piece of wood between the guitar and tremelo. Then I didn't need the springs anymore. It's a cool "battery compartment" with easy access (I hated removing the pickguard).

Jim
mijknahs

Postby jester536 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:55 pm

I did the same thing..blocked the bridge and then used the trem cavity for one of Waldo's buffers...also had room for the battery but I think we would have had to rout it out to make it just a little bit deeper. Got some pics of the job in another thread.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:42 am

broesau wrote:I found this on the Alembic forum and thought it was ingenious. I would have never in a million years think to flip the jack mounting plate. There aren't many places on a strat to mount a battery except under the pickguard and then it's a pain to remove the pg when it dies.

I went a ahead and did this reversed-jack dealie to my Tiger Strat. The battery fits perfectly under there!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion