Jerry's Tiger in Sports Illustrated

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Jerry's Tiger in Sports Illustrated

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:25 am

I have but one last thing to say on this subject: GO JETS. 8)
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Naataanii » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:51 am

interesting
Last edited by Naataanii on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, hey, come right away. Come and join the party everyday!
Naataanii
Brent
Brent

Postby jkstraw » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:15 pm

My $.02 - anybody who pays upwards of a million for one of Jerry's guitars....not only respects the guitar but is probably one heck of a fan too. Based on the recent post (waldo I think) that said he has professional curators maintaining it - I'd say it is in good hands and being used for what it should - jamming out with buddies. Just wish my wife had an in with that organization :P
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby playingdead » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:59 pm

Don't judge Irsay on the photo; I am a professional art director and can guarantee you that it was the photographer's idea to have him be horsing around with guitars and his neck tie looking like a bandit, and then someone chose that photo, not him. Anyone who has attended a pro photo shoot for a magazine knows how those things go.

Irsay is also good friends with Stephen Stills, was buddies with Hunter Thompson, and was a serious enough Kerouac fan to shell out big bucks for the original On the Road scroll, so he's certainly got more hippie than corporate fatcat in him.
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:05 pm

to some extent i agree with vic, but unlike the tour irsay allowed with the "on the road" scroll thru the US, the Tiger has been tucked away, for the most part, hidden from public view. His assistant has informed me that it may make it's rounds one day, but he has owned it for several years now and no such thing has been attempted as of yet. i have tried to get to it to confirm for the masses it's exquisite details for all, but have been only given 4 photos of it from them and have had to rely on others info of it. one of which is irsay's curator who luckily knows the significance and has helped immensely. that all said, it is his instrument to do whatever he feels like doing with it. but i have only recently begun to think that his scant photo's with it appear to be a little insulting in that it appears to be kinda like, look what i have, na na na na na na, type of thing. i have sent the assistant my request for a few years now, and recently sent him the website i have been working so hard to accurately represent, only to be told that Jim would not be interested in some fans website, or care for the historical content it contains and that it's football season with much more pressing issues to tend to. he did however just let a gearhead from the yahoo group get a hold of it, but it was not measured or detailed in anyway. so i still hold out hope in getting to it, but that hope is fading.

wolf has made it's rounds and is apparently available to some. and the other 4 at the RnR HOF are available to be viewed by the public FOR FREE. they are located in the gallery before you enter the actual HOF and that is because of the stipulation given to the HOF that the core 4 made. the instruments were given to them on loan only if they are displayed in an area that is free from admission to the RnR HOF, ie... free to the public. it would be cool if Irsay did something like that also, but as of now, it's only really played by him in private as if he was the only one attached to that instrument and to me that is kinda of a jerkish way to go about an historic piece of RnR history and for a piece that is cherished by many, many deadheads. so i can definately see why some heads may be ticked off to see him holding it like that in that way. it does kinda feel insulting. and very reminiscent of how his family treated the baltimore fans when he moved there team in the middle of the night. like father, like son, his dad said "it's his goddamn team" and son is saying "it's his goddamn guitar".

just my .02 cents.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby wisedyes » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:54 pm

As a former resident of Bawlmer, and a fan of the Baltimore Colts until they left town, no matter how damn difficult his demon father made it, my two cents is that it irks the hell out of me that Jimmy Irsay has that guitar. He may be an okay sorta cool kind of guy now, but back when they left town, he was the same age as I was (18 or 19 at the time), and he was almost as big of a jerk about it as his dad was.

I will give him props for seeming to have made himself into a decent human being (something his father never even came close to accomplishing), and for running a class organization with the team now that his dad isn't in the picture. But, even though we have a new team in the Ravens, I'm among those that has never gotten over it - still bugs me to see the horseshoe playing somewhere else, and it REALLY bugs me that the Indy Colts try to glom onto the Baltimore Colts history. Not one single Baltimore Colt would EVER have anything to do with that franchise once it left town.

Just my opinion, of course.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby tcsned » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:11 pm

wisedyes wrote:As a former resident of Bawlmer, and a fan of the Baltimore Colts until they left town, no matter how damn difficult his demon father made it, my two cents is that it irks the hell out of me that Jimmy Irsay has that guitar. He may be an okay sorta cool kind of guy now, but back when they left town, he was the same age as I was (18 or 19 at the time), and he was almost as big of a jerk about it as his dad was.

I will give him props for seeming to have made himself into a decent human being (something his father never even came close to accomplishing), and for running a class organization with the team now that his dad isn't in the picture. But, even though we have a new team in the Ravens, I'm among those that has never gotten over it - still bugs me to see the horseshoe playing somewhere else, and it REALLY bugs me that the Indy Colts try to glom onto the Baltimore Colts history. Not one single Baltimore Colt would EVER have anything to do with that franchise once it left town.

Just my opinion, of course.

I used to be a Colts fan as a kid and have never forgiven the old man for the "midnight getaway" - but the younger Irsay is not his dad and seems to be a reasonable person considering how rich he is. I heard that the Tiger was used on a John Mellencamp recording but could be wrong. It would be nice if he would let the R&R HOF display it though. The old man is another story . . . someday I would like to find his grave and personally water it (though I suspect they have a hard time growing grass on it for that reason). The Dolts are beating the Jets as I write . . .
tcsned

Postby playingdead » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:38 pm

Could be worse; Jerry Jones could have bought it.
playingdead

Postby tcsned » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:51 pm

playingdead wrote:Could be worse; Jerry Jones could have bought it.

lol!
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:54 pm

playingdead wrote:Could be worse; Jerry Jones could have bought it.

or to keep with the Baltimore douchebag rich guy theme - Peter Angelos could have bought it :)
tcsned

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:42 am

tcsned wrote: I heard that the Tiger was used on a John Mellencamp recording but could be wrong.

I sure hope that's incorrect. I can't think of a less respectful use for it than that. :?

He may have some hippie in him but clearly not enough. He should at least let Waldo study it for a day. What would that cost him? Nothing. :-x
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Chuckles » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:11 am

Well, he shelled out the bucks, and that helped out Irwin, the builder. Where's the beef? I really don't think it's the guitar that is so important as the music that was made with it. Why this obsession with Tiger? Why not with any of the LPs or Strats? While I think it would be ultimately very cool for Mike to be able to fully go over it, I guess I just don't see what the ultimate hoop-la is. I mean, are we all going to suddenly be able to play like Jer if we can all exactly build a replica of Tiger? We've got the general gist of what the layout was... detail like the binding matching up is kind of extraneous... Hell, maybe Irsay is protecting it from being exposed as less than perfect as we found out the other one was.

On a side note about the Colts and Irsay being a youngster when they moved... I went to school with Mike Bidwell and couldn't have been happier when the Cardinals left St. Louis. Was glad to see the tool and his non-playoff producing father's franchise hit the road!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby bodiddley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:48 am

Damn, i kinda like Mellencamp...before he completely sold out a song for a friggin' car commercial. Yes he's an asshole, but so what.

He coulda lent it out to Michael J. Fox...the anti-Elvis.
bodiddley

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:03 am

Chuckles wrote:Well, he shelled out the bucks, and that helped out Irwin, the builder. Where's the beef? I really don't think it's the guitar that is so important as the music that was made with it. Why this obsession with Tiger? Why not with any of the LPs or Strats? While I think it would be ultimately very cool for Mike to be able to fully go over it, I guess I just don't see what the ultimate hoop-la is. I mean, are we all going to suddenly be able to play like Jer if we can all exactly build a replica of Tiger? We've got the general gist of what the layout was... detail like the binding matching up is kind of extraneous... Hell, maybe Irsay is protecting it from being exposed as less than perfect as we found out the other one was.

On a side note about the Colts and Irsay being a youngster when they moved... I went to school with Mike Bidwell and couldn't have been happier when the Cardinals left St. Louis. Was glad to see the tool and his non-playoff producing father's franchise hit the road!

chuckles,

i am no builder for one, and while you may not consider the instrument of any value to you, it does mean a whole lot to me and many, many deadheads. when i was with the instruments at the RnR HOF, the director let us in on stories of grown men crying or buckling at the site of those instruments. i know the feeling as i felt the same way. this instrument is like a picaso or mona lisa or any hugely significant artistic piece of history. jerry never intended for that instrument to be in irsay's hands, and had irwin not had the problems he had, it may never have ended up there. that all said, your opinion of the instrument is all good, but i do hope that you do not mean to downplay mine and others opinion as childish. that would be most unkind. maybe you can't understand or grasp the "hoopla" of it, but i do, as i am fully entrenched in it. also, no one claimed to being able to play like jerry because they hold or get the info of the instrument. it was the instrument jerry played more then any other, and that fact draws people to it. unfortunely, only irsay can enjoy the significance of that in private. just because you have the money to buy the world, does that really make it solely yours? while irsay did buy and now owns the instrument or has possession of it, it will always be a part of or attached to the grateful dead and jerry garcia.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby bodiddley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 am

Yes, well said Waldo. When I stood before these guitars in th R&R Hall of Fame I felt the same thing I feel when I go to the smithsonian and stand before some artifacts that George Washington once owned.
bodiddley

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion