Furthur Gear

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Furthur Gear

Postby waldo041 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:22 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
wisedyes wrote:Anybody know how much one of those basses that Phil is playing weighs? It looks very heavy, and he's no spring chicken, after all. I would think it must be very tiring to stand there all night with that monstrous thing around your shoulder.

The four-string versions are pretty light according to my quick Google search... 8.5 lbs. Phil's 6-stringers with the extra tailpiece section are probably only an extra pound or two, not too bad. 9 lbs is about average for a bass.

http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/m ... LD-BG-RITT

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-made-4-Strin ... 53de7cf3b6

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:58 am

Interesting speaker setup for Bobby, too ... looks like a pair of 2X12s in stereo (either side of the drum riser) and a pair of skinny full-range speakers (5" drivers?) on both sides, too.

He was full-range with the Dead using those Meyer cabinets under the drum riser, but in recent years, just 12" guitar speakers. Is he embracing the cabinet modeling in the Eleven rack? Or just full-range on the effects?

playingdead

Postby playingdead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:07 am

Better closeup ... Vox cab and the other speaker ...

playingdead

Postby RiverRat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:08 am

playingdead wrote:Interesting speaker setup for Bobby, too ... looks like a pair of 2X12s in stereo (either side of the drum riser) and a pair of skinny full-range speakers (5" drivers?) on both sides, too.

He was full-range with the Dead using those Meyer cabinets under the drum riser, but in recent years, just 12" guitar speakers. Is he embracing the cabinet modeling in the Eleven rack? Or just full-range on the effects?

Mini line arrays...

Phil's rig prior to the switch to Eden cabs was a Meyer designed custom line array... Like Phil, Bobby has a Meyer CP-10 is his rack as well.
RiverRat

Postby playingdead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:27 am

Fishman SoloAmps.

playingdead

Postby RiverRat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:31 am

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=106

The CP-10 is not related to the arrays... just coincidence.
RiverRat

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:01 am

waldo041 wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote:
wisedyes wrote:Anybody know how much one of those basses that Phil is playing weighs? It looks very heavy, and he's no spring chicken, after all. I would think it must be very tiring to stand there all night with that monstrous thing around your shoulder.

The four-string versions are pretty light according to my quick Google search... 8.5 lbs. Phil's 6-stringers with the extra tailpiece section are probably only an extra pound or two, not too bad. 9 lbs is about average for a bass.

http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/m ... LD-BG-RITT

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-made-4-Strin ... 53de7cf3b6

peace,
waldo

Heh... yeah, somebody posted one of those auctions last spring... Vic, I think? I'll admit to being mildly tempted just because it'd be funny to use it for a song or two. :lol:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby jdsmodulus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:17 am

RiverRat wrote:http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=106

Interesting indeed that this is here. I thought this was his acoustic amp? Interesting that Bob has those (2) 2x12s as well still.
jdsmodulus

Postby waldo041 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:21 am

playingdead wrote:Better closeup ... Vox cab and the other speaker ...

anybody have a clue where that strat in the middle is from? is that jerry's sunshine daydream strat???

also i see bobby has found the replacement for the out of production wand guitar strap him and jerry used. i've been using the comfort strapp for a few years now, here's a link.

http://www.comfortstrapp.com/products.htm

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby RiverRat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:28 am

jdsmodulus wrote:
RiverRat wrote:http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=106

Interesting indeed that this is here. I thought this was his acoustic amp? Interesting that Bob has those (2) 2x12s as well still.

Consider the fact that Bob is an endorsee of Fishman, not at all surprising...

Maybe for the next tour they'll go the NASCAR route and start leasing space on their clothing!

waldo041 wrote:anybody have a clue where that strat in the middle is from? is that jerry's sunshine daydream strat???

Jerry's burst from 72 had a maple fretboard. Could be the earlier Flag strat from fall/winter 1970...
RiverRat

Postby jdsmodulus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:32 am

Somebody said not long ago (maybe Dozin?) that Bob was getting a new custom strat. Maybe this is it.
jdsmodulus

Postby waldo041 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:40 am

RiverRat wrote:
waldo041 wrote:anybody have a clue where that strat in the middle is from? is that jerry's sunshine daydream strat???

Jerry's burst from 72 had a maple fretboard. Could be the earlier Flag strat from fall/winter 1970...

nah, jerry's burst flag strat from 70 is owned by Henry Kaiser, bought from alembic in the middle of the 70's. besides that strat is a different color burst. the thing is that the neck's are believed to have possibly been switched out and that might very well be the body and not the original neck. or it could be another guitar all together.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby RiverRat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:42 am

waldo041 wrote:
RiverRat wrote:

nah, jerry's burst flag strat from 70 is owned by Henry Kaiser, bought from alembic in the middle of the 70's. besides that strat is a different color burst. the thing is that the neck's are believed to have possibly been switched out and that might very well be the body and not the original neck. or it could be another guitar all together.

peace,
waldo

the SSDD burst is a tobacco burst... too much red pigment in this one

compare the photo's above, it definitely isn't the burst from 72... but it does have a lot of the characteristics of the flag strat.... headstock, pickguard and finish.
RiverRat

Postby strumminsix » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:14 pm

RiverRat wrote:
playingdead wrote:Interesting speaker setup for Bobby, too ... looks like a pair of 2X12s in stereo (either side of the drum riser) and a pair of skinny full-range speakers (5" drivers?) on both sides, too.

Mini line arrays...

Phil's rig prior to the switch to Eden cabs was a Meyer designed custom line array... Like Phil, Bobby has a Meyer CP-10 is his rack as well.

What exactly do you mean by "mini line arrays". And are you sure about the answer or is that your speculation?

A fun thing with the 11R is that you can have multiple sends to multiple things.

For example, when I go direct I XLR to my personal monitor and 1/4" out to the house with different controls.
OR I can run to a poweramp into a 2x12 and send cab modelling to the board but no cabs to my poweramp and 2x12.

I've been reading about alot of guys doing just that.
strumminsix

Postby RiverRat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:30 pm

strumminsix wrote:
RiverRat wrote:

Mini line arrays...

What exactly do you mean by "mini line arrays". And are you sure about the answer or is that your speculation?

Line Array... FINAL ANSWER!

The Fishman Website wrote:Designed for the singer/songwriter, the SA220 Solo Performance System provides exceptional sound quality and coverage in a wide variety of venues. 220Watts of clean, lightweight power drives a line array of six custom high-excursion speakers and a soft dome tweeter. This unique combination delivers incredibly full sound, ultra-wide dispersion, and deeper sonic penetration than the common speaker cabinet. Better yet, the enhanced bass response of the custom-designed speakers means there’s no need for a subwoofer!
RiverRat

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion