Furthur Gear

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Furthur Gear

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:14 am

jdsmodulus wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:
playingdead wrote:http://otherones.net/photos/2009-12-08s

Definitely an Eleven ... appropriate if they play the Eleven.

Looks like JK is partial to the neck pickup.

Jeff mattson (JK's DSO replacement) also spends a huge amount of time on the neck pickup of his strat

While Jeff got brought up, do we know what he is using? It looks like a combo. Model? Speakers? Effects? Strat>OBEL?Buffer?

I've seen JM play thru Twin combos and at least once through an HR Fender model- possibly a Deville. His FX, afaik are three MXR pedals: Envelope, Distortion+, Phase 90. No loop on the guitar.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby seamones » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:34 pm

keirweir wrote:Looks like JK let his JBL's out to play. This appears to be a different cab than the Oakland shows?

I wonder how the conversation went telling John not to sing on Truckin'....someone have some control issues?
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:39 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Didgeridont please !

Lot shirt! Damn could have made a fortune selling those at during my tenure at UVM.

I know I've had lots of opportunities to voice this concern over the last year or so, but God do i hate that f*%king eye sore of a bass Phil has been strapping to himself. There I said it.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:58 pm

I agree about Phils Bass, it sounds good but why not use one of the Modulus Basses? They to me are clearly better! Its not like Phil doesnt have a plethora of them. Some MIDI some old some custom. Break um out! Same with Bobby I wish he would bust out more than the "new" Pinky. The guy must have 300 guitars!
jdsmodulus

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:07 pm

I like the way Phil's ugly bass sounds much better than his EMG Moduluses, which ended up kind of hollow-sounding. I'd like to hear the Bartolini ones with his new setup though.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby keirweir » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:I like the way Phil's ugly bass sounds much better than his EMG Moduluses, which ended up kind of hollow-sounding. I'd like to hear the Bartolini ones with his new setup though.

I agree... as ugly or unique as it is the tone is really nice. I have noticed he plays a good amount Jer parts ( Bridsong) on that bass. Nice crisp tone.
keirweir

Postby dleonard » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:35 pm

haha hilarious that the bass has been brought up....it sounds good but what a spectacle.
dleonard
Bear
Bear

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:14 pm

keirweir wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote:I like the way Phil's ugly bass sounds much better than his EMG Moduluses, which ended up kind of hollow-sounding. I'd like to hear the Bartolini ones with his new setup though.

I agree... as ugly or unique as it is the tone is really nice. I have noticed he plays a good amount Jer parts ( Bridsong) on that bass. Nice crisp tone.

Ouch, I hate when the bassist doubles Jer's Bird Song lick. He's not doing the cool counterpoint melody anymore?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby wisedyes » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Anybody know how much one of those basses that Phil is playing weighs? It looks very heavy, and he's no spring chicken, after all. I would think it must be very tiring to stand there all night with that monstrous thing around your shoulder.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby keirweir » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:34 pm

Tonally, I like the bass. I would rather hear John play the Jer parts (like the intro to birdsong).
keirweir

Postby Grateful.Ed » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:21 pm

playingdead wrote:Listen to the Furthur show from that little club in Mill Valley, Weir into a Vox, period.

And Phil with only TWO 4X10s.

I've always wondered why the AC30CC's Normal Channel with Brilliance (copies the 1964 JMI Vox AC-30 "Treble" amp) is ignored for Bobby tones.

Never touted mine as such because I feared ridicule.
Grateful.Ed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:40 pm

From the pic above it looks like bobby has a slave amp as well? I can't imagine him playing guitar>amp with no effects. His rack is there somewhere. Or at least a rig we don't see outside of those amps. Any thoughts? If he played with no effects at all at this show gear wise it is historic in that he hasn't done that since the very early days of the GD.
jdsmodulus

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:08 am

wisedyes wrote:Anybody know how much one of those basses that Phil is playing weighs? It looks very heavy, and he's no spring chicken, after all. I would think it must be very tiring to stand there all night with that monstrous thing around your shoulder.

The four-string versions are pretty light according to my quick Google search... 8.5 lbs. Phil's 6-stringers with the extra tailpiece section are probably only an extra pound or two, not too bad. 9 lbs is about average for a bass.

http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/m ... LD-BG-RITT
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:16 am

keirweir wrote:Tonally, I like the bass. I would rather hear John play the Jer parts (like the intro to birdsong).

It's hard not to play the Jerry parts sometimes, since your ears are so focused on them. But I learned early on, doubling things is always bad in the Dead world. No matter what anybody else is doing, do something else.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby RiverRat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:21 am

Capt Rosebuddy wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Didgeridont please !

Lot shirt! Damn could have made a fortune selling those at during my tenure at UVM.

I know I've had lots of opportunities to voice this concern over the last year or so, but God do i hate that f*%king eye sore of a bass Phil has been strapping to himself. There I said it.

Phil and his Ritter will NEVER look this bad... Yikes!
http://www.ritter-basses.com/ritter-bas ... /popup.php

...be forewarned, this is nearly NSFW!

Jens Ritter... what were you thinking?... "Yeah, I want to be associated with THIS GUY!"
RiverRat

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion