Boss MT-2 in Jerry Rig? [correction: HM-2] (edit)

Chat about Equipment Info

Boss MT-2 in Jerry Rig? [correction: HM-2] (edit)

Postby brutusbuck45 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:57 am

I know it has been reported and shown in pics that one point Jerry had a Boss MT-2 (Heavy Metal 2 Distortion) pedal in his "90's" rig. I haven't actually used one but from the YouTube vids and Boss' site show its thick saturation and mega overdrive. But can anyone really identify if the big boy really used it or was he just experimenting with it. Incidentally, I have the opportunity to pick one up- cheap! $25. But is it even worth the pedal space- that is... for a non-metallic, lack of shredding, Jerry-esque noodler? Yea, I know... its only an opinion- but your opinions matter. :-)

Thanks y'all.

~brutus
Last edited by brutusbuck45 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Re: Boss MT-2 in Jerry Rig

Postby waldo041 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:45 am

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:10 am

The MT-2 and HM-2 are different pedals. Did Jerry use the MT-2 (Metal Zone) or the HM-2 (Heavy Metal)?

The MT-2 Metal Zone is a swept mid EQ plus bass and treble. Very flexible. The distortion character is a one trick pony. It takes away the highs from the guitar, but re-creates gobs of highs from the distortion harmonics. It's actually a very rich and nice sustaining sound for solos. It is surprisingly useful at some things. It's somewhat in the family with the OD-2 Turbo Overdrive in turbo mode with regards to the harmonic content, but even thicker and with more guitar highs removed.

I don't remember the HM-2's tone as well, but I recall it still had that rich harmonic character of these heavier Boss pedals. Only bass and treble controls. Plenty of clear slice to cut thru. David Gilmour got some good use of the HM-2 for a stint or 2.

For Jerry, whether it was the HM-2 or MT-2, I bet it had its primary use on things like Miracle, Samson, Victim, Stella middle solo, Black Peter solo, etc. Real sustained and searing feedbacky stuff.

For $25 I wouldn't hesitate to buy just about any Boss pedal. Grab it up and see what you think.

Brad
bossmt2.jpg
bossmt2.jpg (110.02 KiB) Viewed 972 times
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby brutusbuck45 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:10 am

You know... You're right. I did confuse the two MT-2 and HM-2. I had remembered seeing one- I think it was on Dozin's site.

I do appreciate your insight and opinion on the matter, nonetheless. I think I will snatch it up for that little. Heck, I can always unload it for the same amount if I choose. Good karma. : )

Thanks. Peace.

~brutus
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby mijknahs » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:52 am

I own and have used an HM-2 in my "Jerry" rig for many years. I don't use it right now but I think it's a good pedal although missing something. It is fine for Samson, Miracle, etc. I would use it with the distortion/drive knob just barely on - just where the distortion kicks in with a normal volume. Bass about 10 o'clock, Treble about 2 o'clock.

Currently I'm using some Boss Overdrive pedal (forgot which one but it's yellow, has 4 knobs and a "turbo" knob/switch). I use it in the "normal" setting (not Turbo). Sometimes I use a vintage MXR Distortion+.

Jim

*edit*
Tonight I just played through the HM-2 and it is a pretty good pedal. Even better than I remembered. Doesn't have a lot of tonal range but does a good job at a Samson solo or Hell in a Bucket.
mijknahs

Postby brutusbuck45 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:15 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:The MT-2 and HM-2 are different pedals. Did Jerry use the MT-2 (Metal Zone) or the HM-2 (Heavy Metal)?

The MT-2 Metal Zone is a swept mid EQ plus bass and treble. Very flexible. The distortion character is a one trick pony. It takes away the highs from the guitar, but re-creates gobs of highs from the distortion harmonics. It's actually a very rich and nice sustaining sound for solos. It is surprisingly useful at some things. It's somewhat in the family with the OD-2 Turbo Overdrive in turbo mode with regards to the harmonic content, but even thicker and with more guitar highs removed.

I don't remember the HM-2's tone as well, but I recall it still had that rich harmonic character of these heavier Boss pedals. Only bass and treble controls. Plenty of clear slice to cut thru. David Gilmour got some good use of the HM-2 for a stint or 2.

For Jerry, whether it was the HM-2 or MT-2, I bet it had its primary use on things like Miracle, Samson, Victim, Stella middle solo, Black Peter solo, etc. Real sustained and searing feedbacky stuff.

For $25 I wouldn't hesitate to buy just about any Boss pedal. Grab it up and see what you think.

Brad
bossmt2.jpg

Hey Brad-

I really appreciate the great descriptions in your response. It really helped. I did go ahead and pull the trigger on the MT-2 @ $30. I gave the kid an extra $5 because he looked like he could use it (there's that karma again). I tell you what, I have been playing with it for the past few hours and I must
say it is that late 80's distortion that I was not able to obtain at low volume. It has great sustain and the highs are razor sharp (at least compared to what I am used to they are). I really like the EQ and its ability to dial in two Mid frequencies. Again, the low volume is what is key for me. I don't play at stage volumes ever, so this really provides me something that I would not ordinarily achieve by driving the tubes on my amp.

I was listening to Rich Stadium 7/4/1989. In particular, Watchtower, check out the solo at about 2:35 and also Morning Dew which follows. The walkup and solo at 5:20. I got as close to that sustain and drive with this pedal than I really ever have. Thanks again for the 411 and recommend. The price certainly was right too.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd89-07-04.aud.wiley.9045.sbeok.shnf
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Re: Boss MT-2 in Jerry Rig? [correction: HM-2] (edit)

Postby seamones » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:37 pm

I am seriously out leagued by many many people on this site when it comes to nailing Jer's tone, but fwiw I have a HM-2 that I like quite a bit. I agree that the Distortion only needs to be barely turned up, but I crank both Color knobs
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby AKdead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:33 am

Does anyone know what pedal or pedals Jerry used for the distortion in Terrapin?
AKdead
tiger
tiger

Postby jdsmodulus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:34 am

AKdead wrote:Does anyone know what pedal or pedals Jerry used for the distortion in Terrapin?

This depends on the year. If you picked a particular era or version someone will point you in the right direction!
jdsmodulus

Postby mijknahs » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:43 am

I'm pretty sure that for the 80's it was the MXR Distortion+ since I always see it in his rack in the 80's. I think he tweaked with the knobs for different songs too. He must have had a good one because the 2 or 3 I've tried (all vintage) sound a little different from each other.

I know he used some other Boss pedals in the 90's but I don't really care about that.

He could have been using something else in the later 80's but I'm not sure. For the late 70's and early 80's the MXR for sure.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby AKdead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:58 am

How about mid-late 80s?

I don't remember when the album was released but I remember when the Dead were first playing it live...before the studio version was released...ande those early live versions were killer. I think the band was really enjoying introducing new songs.
AKdead
tiger
tiger

Postby mijknahs » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:28 pm

Mid 80's is the MXR also. You see it in his rack (that little olive colored pedal) and it sounds like it too.

Yeah, I loved those early versions "In the Dark" songs. West L.A. Fadeaway (10-9-82 comes to mind), Touch of Grey (before the corny riff in 87), and Brother Esau.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby gr8fullfred » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:40 pm

The MT-2 is a great pedal. I have had one for years. They make a wide variation of distortion, from mild to wild. And the semi parametric mid control is great. Plenty of them on EBAY from $25 - $40 as well as on CL.

A killer pedal in the used market, a very good investment IMHO. There are some folks on EBAY that are selling modification kits for MT-2, I have not tried one yet, but I probably will soon.

I also like the FT-2 envelope filter.
gr8fullfred
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Pete B. » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:09 pm

I've had an MT-2 for several years but have only used it for Pedal Steel for the David Lindly style sound (and more recently Robert Randolph styles). It is good for sound effects too, like a fast motorcylcle shifting through the gears, sirens, etc. You can use it with an E-bow for some cool effects.
I haven't used it in a while, though.
Pete B.

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:35 am

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know if Jer really did use an mt-2? I can't see waldo's pic if that is his rack or something.
I got one of these years ago after reading that Jer used it, but have never been able to get anything but metal tones out of it. am i out of luck only having single coils?
vwjodyme

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion