Wanted: Fancy Cowboy

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Wanted: Fancy Cowboy

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:31 am

+1 on the IVP it is a bear to tweak for sure, but weir's (especially the 79-82 years)tone certainly lays inside it. Also, suprised at the lack of love for a UE400, IMO it is a great unit that was far ahead of its time. I have had no problems coaxing great tones out of that thing as well. The flanger and phaser are excellent in that unit, and if you have the version that has the Overdrive label instead of the Distortion label, you have the original TS808 that everyone is so gaga for.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby strumminsix » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:07 am

jeffm725 wrote:+1 on the IVP it is a bear to tweak for sure, but weir's (especially the 79-82 years)tone certainly lays inside it. Also, suprised at the lack of love for a UE400, IMO it is a great unit that was far ahead of its time. I have had no problems coaxing great tones out of that thing as well. The flanger and phaser are excellent in that unit, and if you have the version that has the Overdrive label instead of the Distortion label, you have the original TS808 that everyone is so gaga for.

Maybe I just never had enough bonding time with the IVP I can see that. It took me months with the Mesa tonestack. I could be dense like that :lol:

Yes, the UE400 was ahead of its time but it still really isn't for me. The comp was noisy, I don't like TSers, phaser was okay, but I never was able to coax good Flanger tones out of the Chorus/Flanger thing. Conversely I own a UE700 and VERY much love it.
strumminsix

Postby mkaufman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:55 am

I agree - the flanger on the UE700(or FL305) is the real deal!

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Postby drkstrcrashes » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:22 am

I don't visit this forum much. I really should do so more often. I had to laugh when I read this post read the term "guitar hoarder".. LOL... If I didn't know Vic (palyindead) I might think that it was an unflattering term. But I do know Vic and I know how nice of a person he is, so I know it was meant in a loving manner and maybe even a compliment. Too funny!! I hope that folks don't think I am an arss... Just because I like to "hoard" vintage and expensive gear. For the record: ask anyone and you will find out that I am ALWAYS eager to loan out my gear, including the most expensive pieces. I've left my rarest Travis Bean (have a black pearl artist that is a transitionl model) to friends for months on end. I enjoy loaning my vintage amps because I can get a second opinion and hear what other people think of them. I did even loan out my Wolf to Stu Allen (don't know him) when he did a DSO tour.
Just for the record, in case someone thinks that a "guitar hoarder" is an uncool thing to be. Come play music with me. You can play anything I have....
Nice Score on the Cowboy BTW! Is that not one of the greatest sounding guitars tht you have ever played? I really think so. So amazing!
Cheers!
drkstrcrashes
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby playingdead » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:38 am

Definitely a compliment, bro!
playingdead

Postby drkstrcrashes » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:33 pm

I know, I know.. Thanks!!
drkstrcrashes