09/09/09 - what were you doing at 0900 this morning?

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: 09/09/09 - what were you doing at 0900 this morning?

Postby jackaroad » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:00 pm

Congrats Mike! like Bob told me "you just gotta Want to do it bad Enough!" Id be curious to see more pics of contours and arch on that Rosebud..Looks like he maybe carved off as much as he could to lighten # 2 up for the fatman :-) the neck does seem high at body, Scott Walker has a great neck set method ,It goes way in under the pickups...
As a Luthier I'm amazed as well w/ the mismatched lam's but when I met Irwin he was too high to talk so ... I guess he liked to get stoned and work ? lol
no really ,..... hmmm hopefully not w/ power tools... or maybe the toxicity of Cocobolo (ive found the hard way) got to him! Anyway these shots are inspiring to me, as for so many years I thought so much more of them/his craftmanship (though I know wolf was made in a kitchen more than not..) now I know I CAN do better! I Bet Matt felt like a Million bucks as to his craftsmanship on leaving H.O.F! The lack of Cavity search is silly..WTF? and you do know already .. good luck on that. post the neck angle would ya? 2 degrees? Thanks I'll be back w/ ya for more ugb's! Chris Terrafranca
jackaroad
welcome
welcome

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:39 am

This is just such a great thread! I vote thread of the year! their should be a prize! ie cds, tshirt, something!!!
jdsmodulus

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:51 am

jdsmodulus wrote:This is just such a great thread! I vote thread of the year! their should be a prize! ie cds, tshirt, something!!!

2nd that emotion
:hail: :hail: :hail:
Waldo brings a lot to the table
Thanks man
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:50 am

Absolutely! :hail: Thread of the year, no doubt about it! :cool:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby jahozer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:26 am

This thread reminds me of what a jackass I am for not coming here more often. Hell, I have been a member since 04, and music, the dead, and gear is really all I think about.
Of course when not thinking about my family or sex...
Just an amazing thread!!!!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:45 am

thanks to the core 4 and gdp management for allowing this to happen. now if i can only get the owners of wolf and tiger to allow the same thing!!!

hey welcome back jahozer!

i appreciate all the support from everyone. i'd like to thank a ton of people but will not at the risk of forgetting someone. i am going to go with another name soon for the website, but check it out if you haven't already.

http://www.wald-electronics.com

i'll keep adding more soon, and welcome suggestions or comments.........

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:28 am

Stunning, Mike ... just stunning work.

I've been listening a lot to 79 and 80 boards; are you aware if there were any other circuit changes to the later Tiger when they went to the Super IIs, or was it just a straight pickup swap?

It's always sounded to me like 79-81 he was playing both coils more, it's just that much fatter, but not sure if it would have been in the bridge or middle position. Photos tend to show the middle position on the selector, but did he have the parallel wiring option at that point?
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:45 am

playingdead wrote:Stunning, Mike ... just stunning work.

I've been listening a lot to 79 and 80 boards; are you aware if there were any other circuit changes to the later Tiger when they went to the Super IIs, or was it just a straight pickup swap?

It's always sounded to me like 79-81 he was playing both coils more, it's just that much fatter, but not sure if it would have been in the bridge or middle position.

amazing to know some are on the same page entirely. i been waitin to poke around again and see what turns up, BECAUSE i have a suspicion i want to track down as to the preamp in tiger intially. here is is my hypothesis, when tiger was was first setup it had electronics like wolf at the time(the way it's wired now is most likely not how it was then). which is the same as tiger always was, BUT with a blaster like wolf. later changing to the opamp preamp buffer. that might be what you hear. key word here is might, because he may have been pushing the twin preamp harder going to the opamp buffer versus the 10db screaming blaster wolf was throwing into it. the blaster will beef up tone and will be a lot more noticeable then a dual sound to super II swap. or he could just be running the humbucker more. i hope to find out.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:10 am

Was Gary doing the wiring back then? I have his ear at the moment ...

There was a marked difference in tone immediately apparent between Wolf and Tiger; did Tiger mark the first appearance of the Dual Sounds?

Here is a great audience tape from 1980, really shows the thicker tone from the Tiger of that era.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1980-1 ... 722.flac16
playingdead

Postby RiverRat » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:25 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:01 pm

RiverRat wrote:Go read my PM from monday again...

RR, just did and all i have is the clarification of material types. did i miss something?

RiverRat wrote:
playingdead wrote:There was a marked difference in tone immediately apparent between Wolf and Tiger; did Tiger mark the first appearance of the Dual Sounds?

Which would seem to imply that 2 different circuits were used in the 2 guitars... and that Tiger may have had 2 (or more) variants of the UGB over the years.

i definately do not believe that there are 2 variants of the the buffer, just that the blaster may have been in tiger before cutlers. the circuits would appear to be almost identical except for the type of preamp used. i don't know why wolf is wired the "noiseless" way it's wired today. i have to believe that there was interference getting into wolf and thats why the humbucker-single-coil and humbuckers wired in series/parallel. it's an oddball, all the others(rosebud,bolt,tophat) will almost resemble tiger and the bean 500, is also, almost the same thing only with toggle pickup selector switches. wolf was testing or preventing something in it's wired state it is today. the dual sounds were being used in wolf before tiger came on the scene. that's why they went in tiger. i know for a fact that he used a boogie some of the 80's and that will make a big difference, was he also using it in latter 79? also, there would be a difference from wolf to tiger with the same circuit and pickups, with 2 different preamps. the blaster was set at a roughly 10Db's compared to the less then unity gain set cutler preamp. but the boogie mkIIa would be a major difference from the uber clean fender twin preamp

Peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:32 pm

Waldo, I always defer to your knowledge on this (Wonderful site by the way, good on you, mate! ) However, I dont think I have seen any documentation, Pictures or otherwise, of showing Jerry using the Mark 2a with the GD in the 79-80. I believe he only used that with JGB on the legendary Winter 80 tour, and possibly during the previous summer '79 reconstruction shows.

By the way, I will tell this story in More detail another time, but I own a Mark 2a that is from Nov. 1978 which puts it as one of the very first Mark 2's and when I went to verify ownership information with Mesa by serial I had a tech tell me that it was previously registered to "GDP(Grateful Dead Productions)", so I started to wonder if I actually had THE AMP! it turns out that I probably don't, but there is some more intrigue there that I am trying to uncover.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby playingdead » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:04 pm

I can hear that sound on the 1980 Radio City run, where the Twin heads were on stage. Something with the guitar, I think.
playingdead

Postby RiverRat » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:44 pm

jeffm725 wrote:Waldo, I always defer to your knowledge on this (Wonderful site by the way, good on you, mate! ) However, I dont think I have seen any documentation, Pictures or otherwise, of showing Jerry using the Mark 2a with the GD in the 79-80. I believe he only used that with JGB on the legendary Winter 80 tour, and possibly during the previous summer '79 reconstruction shows.

By the way, I will tell this story in More detail another time, but I own a Mark 2a that is from Nov. 1978 which puts it as one of the very first Mark 2's and when I went to verify ownership information with Mesa by serial I had a tech tell me that it was previously registered to "GDP(Grateful Dead Productions)", so I started to wonder if I actually had THE AMP! it turns out that I probably don't, but there is some more intrigue there that I am trying to uncover.

jeff, thanks and cool story! i have always been looking around for pictures but find very few from 1980 and the majority of the ones out there are from radio city music hall and as vic stated, it's the twin preamp being used. so he only used the mk2a on the winter 80 jgb shows, but never the gd? there is a 1980 jgb show with him using it on youtube. it sounds incredible so i assumed this may have been the difference vic spoke. thanks for enlightening me!

peace,
waldo
waldo041

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion