09/09/09 - what were you doing at 0900 this morning?

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: 09/09/09 - what were you doing at 0900 this morning?

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:29 am

I think we all agree that the guitars are amazing and beloved. The flaws only merit discussion because they're news to most people. Of course what matters is what was played on them... guitars are tools to make music!

My impression from visiting the HOF was that Wolf Jr was the most flawlessly built, even over the Cripe guitars. But who really cares all that much about it? We don't even know for sure if Jerry ever played it. The real excitement here are the flawed ones that he really used.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby jester536 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:05 pm

I understand that you guys are just critiquing the work and there is room for criticism. It's just that I've read on another post that Irwin was a bit miffed about people making copies of his work...I wish he would embrace it...it just seems like the criticism would be another reason for him to not want to join in on the discussion. Having him contributing would be very cool. But don't get me wrong I greatly appreciate all that you guys do (all of you that contribute to this board). It's always a wealth of information.
Thanks.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby aoguitars » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:20 am

I agree with Waldo...the construction of the Rosebud was fantastic--it was the attention to the smaller details that really surprised all of us. It was also interesting to notice that the headstock had been broken off at one point and repaired extremely well. The Cripes, however, surprised me in a different way. Construction-wise they were fantastic, the laminates were dead-on, but the finish work was pretty bad. TopHat especially was a big cloud and the backs of both of the Cripes were extremely roughed up. And even with the huuuuuuge volute on the back of the peghead, they both still had some serious stress cracks at the headstock.

To answer your question, Paulinnc, I'd have to say that now having been with all of them but Tiger, Wolf was the cleanest detail-wise throughout.
Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com
aoguitars
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby paulinnc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:30 am

Is the stealie on Wolf Jr. a sticker or is that inlaid into the wood?

Also on a side note, I see why guitar builders let the wood sit around for awhile before using it. I haven't really done anything on my wolf project except get materials and some drawings, but what I noticed is the puepleheart I have has really changed color. I have it sitting in a wood shop were I will be doing the work. The shop is at this guys house who is going to help me. He finally took me on as an apprentice/helper for his cabinet work, after over 2 years of asking for a job. I don't get paid shit but I am learning how to use a lot of tools etc. So the guitar is going in a roundabout sort of way. When I brought the guitar project ideas to him, I thought it was going to be a lot simpler to do then it really is. I know it is not rocket surgery but Tom and I both want it to turn out really nice. I can see now how why Tom didn't let me jump into it right away. he would say stuff like, " You want to build a guitar, why don't you build a box first. Then we'll see what happens." So I am hoping to have something done on it by the end of the year. I don't mind the wait, the longer the wood sits the prettier it gets.
paulinnc

Postby hogan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:44 am

it's a sticker.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:50 am

Wandering off topic - Purpleheart is well known to do that. It gets dark with age and loses its purpleness. You can restore it by sanding off the surface, and possibly slow the process with a UV protectant in your clear-coat. The main reason for letting wood season is because it shrinks over time as the moisture evaporates out of it.

And yes, building even a solid guitar body is harder than it looks. I'd say not to attempt it with good wood until you can build an absolutely fantastic box or other rectangular object first. It also doesn't hurt to glue some decent plywood or even MDF together and try for a prototype. You'll learn a lot!

Ok, back to Jerry's guitars! Andrew - were you referring to Wolf itself or Wolf Jr? (I know you've held both)
Rusty the Scoob

Postby waldo041 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:57 am

paulinnc wrote:Is the stealie on Wolf Jr. a sticker or is that inlaid into the wood?

as stated it is just a sticker, BUT it sits on circular piece of inlayed wood just about the same size. i actually pointed that out to the RnR HOF curator. It's most likely where the wolf jr inlay is or where it was going to be. irwin stated he completed the inlay but don't know if it is actually under that sticker or not.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby RiverRat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:22 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby paulinnc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:45 am

Thanks Waldo, I thought it was a sticker.
paulinnc

Postby hogan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:00 am

RiverRat wrote:
waldo041 wrote:it really seemed like a lack of focus, or attention to detail cosmetically.

Smoking Persian will do that to a person... There, it's been said!

Exactly.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby aiq » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:07 am

May the long time sun shine on you, all love surround you, and the clear light within you shine your way on.

Been following this on the Gear Page. Amazing stuff and thanks for sharing... :hail:
aiq
Mickey
Mickey

Postby phpbb » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:40 am

Did you happen to notice any secret compartments on the guitars?
phpbb

Postby strumminsix » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:13 am

phpbb wrote:Did you happen to notice any secret compartments on the guitars?

I knew a guy who had a battery slot put into a guitar for a secret stash compartment :)

Rumor has it that nobody in the band "carried". Instead folks in the crew did. Again, just rumors.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:12 pm

phpbb wrote:Did you happen to notice any secret compartments on the guitars?

no, if we had been able to poke around inside we most likely would have figured out how rosebud was chambered though. i have heard of the "hidden compartment" in tiger, but know for a fact it's not there. the hidden compartment rumor, imo, was started because when irwin shipped tiger, nothing was under the tiger plate. john cutler then installed the preamp and battery under there once jerry received it. so there was sort of a hidden compartment made by irwin, but it became utilized. i had the curator of tiger pull the pickup ring off and look for it under there, (as the rumor for those that don't know goes), the big oval on the back was removable by screws under the pickups. the screws are there, but they don't release that oval. he even removed the screws to no avail.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby gr8fulbluz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 am

Wow really interesting stuff. Just so much info to digest, Thanx.
And more than I can hope to understand.
gr8fulbluz

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion