Jerry effects in 1976

Chat about Equipment Info

Jerry effects in 1976

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 am

Had a little disagreement recently about Garcia's use of effects in 1976. So I'm starting this thread so people listening to shows from that year can post observations about Jerry's guitar sound, particularly with regard to his use of effects.

Still a lot of wah going on in PITB, etc. I can hear MXR Distortion and here and there, and fairly liberal use of MXR Phase 100... but during Dancing In The Streets I hear the Mutron III with a subtle DOWN sweep (LP mode, Low range, Peak setting at around 4). A phase gets in the ballpark but can't reproduce the subtle but defined chirping sound, the same on each note. It's a very clean subtle sound, but I'm convinced its there. Too bad the photo record from this time is so sparse...

Also fat and juicy Octave Divider w/ Ringer here and there, quite unmistakable in the opening solo of 6/3/76 DITS.

Disagree? Agree? other observations... other songs? space jams?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Re: Jerry effects in 1976

Postby Pete B. » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 am

If you could post Archive links with song-title and begin/end time-stamps of the sample you want us to hear/comment-on, that would be really helpful for this discussion I think.
Pete B.

Postby deadguise » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:43 pm

I saw them a few times in 76, at the Orpheum show http://www.archive.org/details/gd76-07-12.menke.minches.18508.sbeok.shnf I had front row balcony, unfortunately I wasn't a gearhead then and pedals and such were unimportant. I listened to Dancing on this show: http://www.archive.org/details/gd1976-06-09.sbd-set2.cohen.12207.shnf but I don't hear a Mutron being used...just clean guitar. On the show you've referenced; http://www.archive.org/details/gd76-06-03.sbd.serafin.7719.sbeok.shnf , it sounds a little what you've described but is it really a Mutron or maybe some Healy tricks? I always thought Jerry didn't sport a Mutron until 1977....???

I have Jet-mechanic ears so I can't deny anyone's claim to hearing distinct tones.
deadguise

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:42 pm

deadguise wrote:I have Jet-mechanic ears so I can't deny anyone's claim to hearing distinct tones.

UAL? I'm in the biz too..can't MEL bad ears man, be careful.

TS I'm glad you started this discussion because '76 is such a cool look into how Jerry "broke in" the boxes. It was the dawn of the "modern" dead in a lot of ways, specifically songs and gear (fx gear)..Anyway the couple of shows I'm really familiar from that year feature all or most of the stuff you mentioned. If only someone could have given Donna some of whatever Keith was taking '76 might have surpassed the mighty '77 spring run. I'm listening to the NYE Cow Palace show now and Garcia is into the Mu Tron in standard settings wahing away in the SB jam.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Capt Rosebuddy wrote: I'm listening to the NYE Cow Palace show now and Garcia is into the Mu Tron in standard settings wahing away in the SB jam.

Capt, everything prior to that show is what TS is after. That show is, imho, the first mutron appearance, but without a doubt it is the first OBEL(without switch) appearance. the very next show in 77 is estimated's debut(terrapin also), and although the mutron is there for that show, the up position is only used in the solo in DITS.

The opening solo of 6/3/76 DITS, imo, is not an octave divider. it's definately a green ringer, but i hear a fuzz pedal, most likely a blue clipper both made by dan armstrong. the green ringer circuit is whats in an octave divider. both also were licensed and made by musitronics from 76-78. the description at this site below is exactly what i hear happen when both are engaged together in 6/3/76 dits.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=150590

another thing to note, Armstrongs engineer George Merriman went on to work with musitronics on their next product, after the Armstrong pedals, the octave divider which most likely were first produced after 76, and not very many were made. so if they indeed were made after 76, then it would be impossible it is what we hear.

http://www.beigeltech.com/articles/vint ... tage2.html

TS, love the debate! the ringer can be heard again in the Slipknot space jam 6/3/76. i think he is also using the extreme bass end of the tone control with the ringer somewhere in there.

just my thoughts.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:30 am

waldo041 wrote:...another thing to note, Armstrongs engineer George Merriman went on to work with musitronics on their next product, after the Armstrong pedals, the octave divider which most likely were first produced after 76, and not very many were made. so if they indeed were made after 76, then it would be impossible it is what we hear.

fwiw, My own expierience with "prototypes" suggests that Jer could have been checking these units out as much as a year before they hit the production stage.
Pete B.

Postby FretfulDave » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:19 pm

This probably won't shed much light but in my fuzzy recollection of the few shows I saw in '76 that I was close enough to the stage, what I saw in a least one song was Jerry set the wah pedal in a position and left it. Other songs(s) he would work the pedal but there was at least one song that he set it and left it. Don't ask me what song, though I can guess the venue was The Capital Theater in Passaic, N.J. Wow, maybe I have some memory left! :lol:

There were few pedals and all on the floor, iirc. But like someone else noted, I was not a gear head and did not have anything other than a fuzz box back then. I didn't even get my strat until later that year, over Xmas break and that purchase was totally inspired by Alligator. :cool:

Fretful Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby FretfulDave » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:25 pm

Thinking some more, I suppose it could have been spring '77. Too old and too long ago! The pedal was defintely set in psoition, though.

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion