New stage rig

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: New stage rig

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:56 am

Read some of the past threads, Playin has exlpained in detail how his Axe runs OBEL, There also is quite a bit of info about the Eleven as well.
jdsmodulus

Postby playingdead » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 am

The AxeFX is arranged in "blocks" ... each block does one specific thing. Your preset can have an amp block (or two), a cabinet block (or two), overdrive blocks, phaser blocks, reverb blocks, delay blocks, etc. etc. These blocks can be arranged in any order or moved at will. Put your reverb after the amp, or put it before, put the phaser after the speaker cabinet if you want, etc.

The AxeFX also has two independent sets of stereo inputs and outputs, with their own input and output volume controls.

There is also an effects loop block you can insert anywhere in the signal path which will direct your signal from the first set of inputs to the first set of outputs, then let the signal back in with the second set of inputs, within the same given preset.

So, my Garcia preset puts the guitar's OBEL's output into input 1, where it goes into an octave block, envelope filter block, phaser block, overdrive block, wah block and delay block, then it goes into the effects loop block, where it leaves the AxeFX on output 1, and goes back into the guitar. Then the guitar's primary output is plugged into input 2, where it is directed to the amp block, EQ, cabinet block and reverb block, then it leaves the AxeFX via output 2 and goes to the board and to my stage monitors.

When the guitar's OBEL is switched on, my signal starts at the first block (the octave block) and goes through the entire chain. When the OBEL is switched off, my signal starts at the amp block and goes only to the amp, speaker and reverb blocks. Input-output level one controls the volume of the effects blocks, and input-output level 2 controls the volume of the guitar. I set these levels to match.

This offers the same advantage of using the OBEL for "real" effects, i.e., the set of effects blocks are seeing 100 percent output from the guitar's pickups and can be set to the sweet spot, but the guitar's master volume is controlling the output level in the final stage.

These independent inputs and outputs mean, essentially, that you can run four instruments through the AxeFX simultaneously, each with different effects, amps, cabinets, etc., all in one preset, using panning for the blocks ... i.e., guitar is right channel of input one, guitar 2 is left channel of input one, bass is right channel of input 2 and keyboards left channel of input 2. Some people use it for rehearsing an entire band that way.
playingdead

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:12 am

Sweet, so its the same thing. I was considering the Prophecy, I think I have enough info to go try them out an know WTF is going on. I wanted to use my guitar, so I was thinking maybe the guitar was rewired so that the machine could take the signals with stereo inputs, etc. I see it is no different. Thanks man. Have they had any used machines floating around the website that want to upgrade into the Ultra?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby jester536 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:18 am

I know you've done this a lot already...but I feel like I'm close to getting it. Obviously you're not using all those effects blocks all the time. It sounds as though your signal is always going thru all of them...How is it that you switch the effects. You play Feel Like a Stranger...then..say I Need a Miracle...totally different effects...is this just a flick of a switch ...or a step on a button???
Thanks man.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
Bear
Bear

Postby hogan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:30 am

jester536 wrote:I know you've done this a lot already...but I feel like I'm close to getting it. Obviously you're not using all those effects blocks all the time. It sounds as though your signal is always going thru all of them...How is it that you switch the effects. You play Feel Like a Stranger...then..say I Need a Miracle...totally different effects...is this just a flick of a switch ...or a step on a button???
Thanks man.

Each of those Fx blocks are triggered on and off w/ a midi board on the ground, or by walking over to the AFX and manually turning them off. Switch on your guitar fx loop and whatever FX blocks that are activated will be waiting for you.
stranger > envelope, octave and drive blocks on. Halfway thru the tune you want to loose the octave you tap it off w/ your foot on the midi controller. For the closing jam you want to lose the envelope, you tap it out.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:34 am

For a system like this and an OBEL you need 2 inputs right?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby playingdead » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:40 am

Exactly. You bypass the effects blocks you don't need with a Ground Control or some other MIDI floorboard. Just like it works with a GCX and stompboxes.

You can also use expression pedals for various assignable things ... wah, volume, delay rate and mix, phaser rate, etc. etc. etc., as well as tap tempo your delays.

However, I don't believe the Rocktron or Eleven can be set up with independent signal paths that are mergeable the way the AxeFX can, even if it has two inputs. As far as I know, the routing ability on the AxeFX is unique.
playingdead

Postby playingdead » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:49 am

BTW, if you own an AxeFX and haven't updated it lately, the 9.03 version that's the latest includes a remarkable extensive reworking of all the Fender amp blocks. He went after that "shimmer" and "sparkle" that the Fender amps have in spades, and I'll be damned if he didn't hit the nail on the head this time. I set up my Vibrolux into my 2X10 with the JBL K-110 speakers, and then easily dialed up a matching tone with the AxeFX into the custom K-110 IR I had made, and it just knocked the tone perfectly. It was very close before, but now it's just dead on. A little spring reverb, a little vibrato, the K-110s ... Fender heaven!

He has a Bassman, Deluxe, Twin, Brownface and BluesJR amp block available now. They are killer.
playingdead

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion