New MXR Phase 100 opinions (compared to a vintage one)

Chat about Equipment Info

New MXR Phase 100 opinions (compared to a vintage one)

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed May 20, 2009 8:08 pm

Anyone here have opinions on the new model of the MXR Phase 100 and how it compares sonically to an old one? Is the new one close enuf?

I've only got an old one here, but a friend wants one and is curious.

Thanks,
Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Re: New MXR Phase 100 opinions (compared to a vintage one)

Postby playingdead » Wed May 20, 2009 8:31 pm

I only have the new one myself, Brad, but I like it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Phase 100 is a six-stage phaser, right? I've seen it referenced as both a six and a ten. The Phase 45 was a two-stage, the Phase 90 is a four-stage, so I assume the Phase 100 is a six-stage.

I have never understood what the four settings on it mean or correspond to in real life, other than different interations of a sine wave, and which one was the one Jerry favored. My 100's knob actually broke right out of the box, it has eight settings instead of four ... LOL ... so while I think there are only four distinct ones on its path of travel past eight stops, I'll be damned if I know which is which.

But, if I am guessing right, the sounds Jerry used on it were probably two different settings ... there is the very fast warbling almost Leslie-like tone that he would use on, for example, Waiting for a Miracle, or Candyman. Then there was the somewhat slower one he would use in conjunction with the Distortion Plus, on Far From Me, Victim or the Crime, etc. I think it's more than just the rate knob, which he controlled with a pedal. It sounded more "phase-ier" to me, almost like a four-stage Phase 90.

I have been able to dial in the former, but not so much the latter, which makes me wonder which of the four settings he might have used for each sound, and whether the Distortion Plus was in front of or behind the Phase 100 in the chain.

The Phase 100 sounds best, to me, behind the OD-2R, but I can't make up my mind on the Distortion Plus.
Last edited by playingdead on Wed May 20, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
playingdead

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Wed May 20, 2009 9:40 pm

Yea, I have a new one too and I really like it, although I've been looking around for a vintage one recently too. Just the other day I talked to a guy at a guitar shop i really like in Portland, OR and this subject came up, his take was same, same the reissue tone wise is spot on. I have mine looped after my distortion+ which is vintage and they sounds great as a combo. Its like it's 1980 all over again. I bought the Phase 100 because it's in the cannon of Garcia effects and initially it took a while to warm up to in my mind but behind my MuTron I'd say it's my favorite box.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed May 20, 2009 10:17 pm

The Phase 100 is a 10-stage phaser. That means the audio shifts the phase in there 10 times. The mores stages, the stronger and more defined the phase. Compared to a Phase 90 which is only 4 stages and has a subtler, more soft effect.

The 4 switch positions on the Phase 100 are various intensities and I think two settings add regeneration or feedback to enhance the resonance. I think I recall seeing either a photo or in person that Jerry's at least at that time was set to the 3rd symbol from the left (across the bottom under the knob). To my ear that sounds like Candyman if you set the right speed.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby strumminsix » Thu May 21, 2009 5:37 am

While in pursuit of your Phase 100 I'd recommend auditioning a Maxon PH-350.

Honestly, if I could only grab 1 pedal for a gig that would be it.
strumminsix

Postby TRG » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Which setting on the new one are you guys using for "Waiting for a Miracle"? I've had a phase 90, just bought the 100 and still have a lot of tinkering around until I get the sound I want for that song, but just wondering what others may have it set to for that specific song?
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion