Jerry's pickup height ???

Chat about Equipment Info

Jerry's pickup height ???

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:53 am

Does anyone know how far from the strings Jerry's DiMarzio was set? Mainly the middle pickup. I can't really tell from any photos, so I'm wondering if anyone ever had the instinct to measure when they had the chance.

The photos do appear to indicate that his pole pieces were set even, but since he had a flat or nearly flat fretboard radius, this makes sense. I guess that for those of us with a radiused fretboard or string arc, maybe we should let the pole pieces follow that arc... Hmmm... Anyone??

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Re: Jerry's pickup height ???

Postby milobender » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:07 am

Hello Brad,

I make my own pups, mainly strat-type single coils, and although I space the magnet centers with the strings, I haven't tried following the radius with the height... for me I think it would be a very small difference (with a 12" radius it's about 1/16" ). The further you keep the pup from the strings, the cleaner and more "toneful" the sound, to the point of diminishing returns. My mid pup is over an 1/8" from the top of the pole to the bottom of the strings; any closer and I can hear the quality deteriorate as the magnet begins to distort the string's vibrational patterns. I'd be more inclined to stager the pole heights according to personal string loudness preferences, as was approximated with the old Fender pups.

Brian
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Re: Jerry's pickup height ???

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:06 am

From Dozin.com
The neck and middle pickups are 10/64" from the strings, and the bridge pickup sits 14/64"

http://dozin.com/jers/jers/guitars/tiger/info.html

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion