Wolf, JR.

Chat about Equipment Info

Wolf, JR.

Postby jeditang » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:57 am

So I visited the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland yesterday, and a top priority was getting a look at some of Irwin's guitars. To my surprise, they were in the lobby, part of a special "exhibit" sponsored by Guitar Hero! The two Cripe guitars, as well as Rosebud and "Wolf, JR.". This was the first time I'd seen this one...headless with what looked to be a scoop for a floyd rose trem system (but no trem). No inlay in the body, the color of wolf (different shape) and the Irwin inlay on the headstock. The tag near it didn't have much to say, other than it was an Irwin creation. No picture of Jer playing it, as the rest did. I presume if anything, it was used in the studio, but I can't find any documentation online.

Can anyone shed some light in this guitar?
jeditang
welcome
welcome

Re: Wolf, JR.

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:45 pm

Irwin inlay on the headstock? That's a neat trick on a headless guitar. :lol:

I saw it too. I don't think much is known about this guitar, there's a thread or two about it here somewhere without much in the way of conclusions.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:59 pm

jeditang wrote: The two Cripe guitars ... No picture of Jer playing [Wolf, JR.], as the rest did.

Does that mean they had a picture of Jerry playing Top Hat? fwiw I always took WJr and TH to be guitars Jerry "might have gotten around to" playing onstage if he had had more time.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jeditang » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:27 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Irwin inlay on the headstock? That's a neat trick on a headless guitar. :lol:

D'oh! Not sure what I was thinking there. I'm also bummed that I didn't snap a few iPhone pics, as the JG stuff is in the lobby where photos are OK. I thought it odd that there was no mention on dozin, and I couldn't find a pic on the web....
jeditang
welcome
welcome

Postby jeditang » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:33 am

jeditang
welcome
welcome

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:11 am

Wolf Jr. is spoke of in the Irwin Interview at dozin. the links are down, so i didn't paste it hear. this is strictly an opinion, but i believe that Wolf Jr possibly was Irwins attempt at a Steinberger.

http://www.steinberger.com/

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:50 am

jeditang wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote:Irwin inlay on the headstock? That's a neat trick on a headless guitar. :lol:

D'oh! Not sure what I was thinking there. I'm also bummed that I didn't snap a few iPhone pics, as the JG stuff is in the lobby where photos are OK. I thought it odd that there was no mention on dozin, and I couldn't find a pic on the web....

Just teasing! It's on the first fret... close enough. And I totally agree that it's a Steinberger-ish clone... Phil had a few headless basses with full bodies around that time, too. Might have been made by a company called Status.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby RiverRat » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:55 am

Nope... The Phil headless basses were all Modulus... the Carbon Fiber faced one has the Modulus logo at the 12th fret... The Blue One had "Modulus" in White lettering on the body face as well as the 12th fret logo. This was 1 of a couple Geoff Gould designs that used 3 soapbars instead of 2.

From Downhill From Here:
RiverRat

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:33 am

wow!

thanks RiverRat, just noticed that Weir used an ADA 2fx for at least 1 show!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion