Alembic Stage Tribute

Chat about Equipment Info

Alembic Stage Tribute

Postby Emoto » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:34 am

http://alembic.com/club/messages/403/63 ... 1238466328

and: http://alembic.com/club/messages/393/63 ... 1238466596

$6599 for the base model (compare to $12500 for the original Tribute guitar).

Still too rich for my blood, but thought it might be of interest to you guys.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Re: Alembic Stage Tribute

Postby jonarobb » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:14 pm

This looks cool as well as the Stage Further. Alembics pickups don't really cut it for me. I had a set in one of my Strats complete with the whole filter system and did not find anything useful for me. If the prices were realistic I'd consider just buying a guitar minus the electronics and install my own. But again, these prices are not grounded in reality.
jonarobb

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:19 pm

jonarobb wrote:This looks cool as well as the Stage Further. Alembics pickups don't really cut it for me. I had a set in one of my Strats complete with the whole filter system and did not find anything useful for me. If the prices were realistic I'd consider just buying a guitar minus the electronics and install my own. But again, these prices are not grounded in reality.

$6500 + is a lot of dough.
:drink:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby jdsmodulus » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:54 pm

Im in the replica market. I would love to have an Alembic guitar period. This guitar looks nice but I agree about the pups if you want the Garcia tone you need the dimarzios plus it looks like the controls are too high and would get in the way. If I ordered one of these those things would have to be looked into. I also think that 6500 is WAY too much for ANY guitar sorry just my take.
jdsmodulus

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:35 pm

That's tough. I can't really point fingers at anybody and say they paid too much for their instruments, given what I have into mine (the J-bass more so than my Dead bass)... but I also paid my rent on a $140 P-bass copy for years in college.

$6500 for a stripped-down, budget model? Yikes. I can't say that I'd be willing to go that far myself. A nice modded Warmoth guitar would get you 95% of the way there, and if I wanted to spend more I'd get a really nice Tiger copy instead of a guitar that vaguely resembles it.

As far as Alembic electronics, I think they're better suited to their basses, where clean and sterile are of primary importance and roundness and warmth are usually secondary.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby deadguise » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:34 pm

I have to somewhat agree about the Alembic pick ups. Someday I plan on changing out (sigh) the ones in my Further for DiMarzios but I'm too reluctant to hack into it...and the fact I know nothing on how to do it without trashing the guitar.
deadguise

Postby caspersvapors » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:10 pm

i wouldnt even pay 6500 for the standard model
caspersvapors

Postby aoguitars » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:16 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:As far as Alembic electronics, I think they're better suited to their basses

I totally agree. They work much better on the basses--they seem to lack life in the guitars, to my ears. I'd go DiMarzios for the Jerry tone, or go towards Wolfetone or Lollar for some handmade pups.

I really can't believe that those Tributes start at $6500. That's just about what I charge for a full-on replica, complete with all the inlay work. And I just don't understand that treble-side horn...
Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com
aoguitars
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Laytonco » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:47 am

Looks pretty cool to me. Also, do keep in mind that buying through their authorized dealers brings in a whole new price range. For instance, my Tribute would come out to something like $13K on the Alembic site, but I bought mine through G Guitars in CT (Hey Brian!) for $6,400. Our lead guitarist, Jeff, played mine one night at rehearsal and got some good Jerry tones, but this guitar, in my opinion, is THE Bobby Guitar. I can get get late 70s, 80s and 90s out of this guitar because of all the tonal options built into it. The elctronics and active pickups are definitely top drawer but also definitely NOT Jerry electronics.

Peace,

Gil

Laytonco

Postby Thomas Lieber » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:11 pm

This thread has lead to the specific reason why Jerry didn't care for or play Alembic guitars. The electronics did not suit him at all. When we built Jerrys guitars we offered him a choice of passive electronics and pickups. If Alembic had done the same Jerry may not have ever played a D Irwin.

Wolf is the perfect literal example of this. This design Doug created on his own time while still employed by Alembic. Hippie sandwich construction BUT its shape was much more approachable (a shape that breed familiarity within its form,) for the player. We also offered a functional pickup system creating a palate to work from that was already common ground. These points that you guys have stumbled onto are right on!

Alembic basses are fantastic! Jacks Alembic # 1 bass was the instrument that sparked my interest in building and designing guitars. We all have inspired one another, builder, player and fanatic. All of this only means something because of you! The individual who is now reading this and for us all, I thank you!

Best,
Thomas
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Emoto » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:37 pm

I just can't imagine how much it would suck to lay out BIG bucks for an Alembic guitar definitely styled like one of Jerry's only to have it not be correct tonally. I mean, holy crap! :? :lol:

No offense intended to anyone; I'm sure they FINE instruments, but still... :shock:
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby jonarobb » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:13 pm

An Alembic bass just came into my shop for among other things, 3 inlays fell out from the neck. Now mind you, it's a late 80's Persuader but it's still an Alembic. The bass was meticulously cared for but played regularly as my clients main gigging instrument. I have a working relationship with Alembic and they have been very good to me with parts for various repairs that come in. But there are some things that are "nuts and bolts" in guitar making that shouldn't happen given the price of their instruments. I had a Further guitar in last year for a loose mini-toggle. Before that is was a Mark King bass with cross threaded pickup adjustment screws. Then the brass nut fell off when I took the strings off as well. Unfortunately this is all stuff I bookmark in my brain. So when one of my clients comes to me and says they are all hot and heavy for a big ticket Alembic, I show them the Carvin catalog and don't lose any sleep over it.
jonarobb

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion