Is My UGB Frying My MuTron?

Chat about Equipment Info

Is My UGB Frying My MuTron?

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:21 am

Hey
I'm having consistency issues tone wise with my Mu-Tron. Since using my new guitar the Mu-Tron has become very "fussy." When I turn the envelope loop on sometimes it sounds great, very smooth tracking, just the signature envelope Garcia tone, Then on other occasions (like right now!) I can't get it to sound good at all. My old guitar never gave me problems with the Mu-Tron it was always spot on. What gives? Is the signal just too hot for this old box or what?

Standard Mu-Tron Settings (I think):
Mode: LP
Peak: 6.5
Gain: 3.5
Range: Low
Drive: Up
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Re: Is My UGB Frying My MuTron?

Postby Pete B. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:54 pm

The first thing I would do is toggle each switch (one at a time) to see if there is a bad connection.
I had a one with a touchy Up/Down switch that caused a similar issue.
It looked like it was set correctly, but an extra bit of pressure changed it from crappy to "most eggcellent".
Pete B.

Postby deadguise » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Do you still have your old guitar? Play that with the Mutron for awhile to see if the problem persists. Mutrons are what, 30 years old? Maybe somethings crapping out in the Mutron...
Check the send/return cable too...
deadguise

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:03 pm

try turning the tone down on your guitar
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby playingdead » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Interesting. The buffer shouldn't have any effect on it at all, it should just be feeding it full signal from the pickups before it comes back into the guitar.

Since the old guitar was a loaner, trying it again is not really an option.

But, since you are using the Mutron in the loop now, there are additional cables involved. Try going straight from the main guitar output into the Mutron, then to the amp. If it performs reliably, there's either an issue with the loop circuit in the guitar, or some of the cabling in the loop (perhaps the stereo cable)?

Another thing to try when it's acting up is to toggle the effect off on the Mutron and see if the plain guitar signal is significantly different with the loop switched in and out. Are you having any issues with your other pedals in the chain? Is the overdrive behaving consistently? Did you try the Mutron with batteries instead of the power supply?
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:59 pm

do you use an effects switcher?
if not, are all your pedals true bypassable?

if no switcher;
do you setup your effects in a consistent order?
have you checked or swapped out all patch cables?
what is your effects order?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:37 am

Does the UGB have a db boost?

I find envelope type filters react differently to a hot low impedance signal than a padded high impedance signal.
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:38 am

But regardless, it should act consistently one way or the other, not perfectly sometimes and imperfectly others ...
playingdead

Postby Emoto » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:52 am

If the battery is getting low (for buffer or mutron), perhaps that would affect the signal.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:32 am

Well as always thanks for kicking this one around, it's back in working order, almost "just exactly perfect." My problems started when I was messing with the settings. Sometimes I like to set it up to get that Barton Hall 'Dancin in the Streets tone which it does beautifully but for what ever reason this time I couldn't get it back to normal. New Battery in the guitar, checked cables and even plugged direct into it, all fine. I found that picking directly over the selected pup starting with a light attack to very aggressively got the signal to track normally. It was almost as if the signal needed to get up over the "hill"of the wah sound. Once I got it to track normally it did it every time no matter how hard I picked ect. The odd thing is that Jerry seemed to have this problem in the "Closing of Winterland" DVD. When he first turns on the MuTron at the beginning of Fire he just shoots up the neck on one string two or three times, this is exactly what I did to fix the problem. I apologize I can't speak better teck to give you guys a clearer picture of what I was encountering.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby Pete B. » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:40 am

Capt Rosebuddy wrote:...My problems started when I was messing with the settings. Sometimes I like to set it up to get that Barton Hall 'Dancin in the Streets tone which it does beautifully but for what ever reason this time I couldn't get it back to normal.

I'm guessing that since it started while switching between Up/Down for Dancin', it sounds like it was a touchy Up/Down switch. When you hit it hard it finally cleared the oxide layer blocking the contact.
:P
Pete B.

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion