Alembic F2bs

Chat about Equipment Info

Alembic F2bs

Postby drkstrcrashes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi, do people think that $700 is a good deal for an F2b? This one is VERY early and is mint. You don't see them around too much, so just wondering.
I am a new poster. Do most of you use combo amps, or rack mount (preamp/power amp, etc...)? What is your rig? Mine is currently either a '68 Showman-15 or a '69 twin reverb. Both are stock and both sound great but Im wanting to try the preamp/power amp/speaker route.
ok, thanks
drkstrcrashes
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Alembic F2bs

Postby drkstrcrashes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:25 pm

also, was wondering, if an Fb2 is a Showman preamp, why only one tube per channel? i realize there is no trem. maybe the trem takes 2 tubes? an at7 and ax7?
drkstrcrashes
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:19 pm

John, the Showman's 3rd tube is trem and 4th tube is the phase inverter, which is actually part of the Showman's power section, so a preamp doesn't use either.

In my Showman Reverb head (normally 6 pre tubes), going Reverb channel to preamp out, I only run 3 tubes total- in V2,3 & 4 and leave the V1,5 &6 and 6L6 sockets empty.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:28 pm

Ruk,

the F2B is suppose to be a (F)ender (2)Twin (B)lackace. or an AB763. only they dropped the vibrato's 3rd gain stage, thus the tube.

Brad Sarno's Classic incorporates that stage as if you lifted one of the legs on the vibrato roach in an AB763 preamp. it disengages the vibrato circuit but leaves that gain stage intact. it really opens the preamp up. do that and properly tap a twin and you'll be closer to an SMS classic then an F2B. probably why jerry never used the F2B.

don't forget that the preamp tubes(ax7,at7) are 2 in 1. they each have 2 sections or 2 potential stages.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby drkstrcrashes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:34 pm

ok, makes sense. Beauty in simplicity! I just discovered Brad Sarno's preamps and the look pretty nice! the SNS Classic. And I was just about to buy an F2b, and early one serial #30! Maybe this year is the year I go rack mount. Do you keep your power amp in a rack? Can you tell me again what power amp you are using as well?
I want to keep mentioning the Butler Audio Thermionic power amps until i find someone that knows something about them.
drkstrcrashes
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby drkstrcrashes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:39 pm

I see. Thanks Waldo. That makes sense. And so I am assuming you would prefer an SMS classic? How close is that to a Trio? I was aware about the ab763 being the f2b. Now i have to wonder how the Trio differed from the Fender, only on the "clean" channel. Thanks
drkstrcrashes
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby drkstrcrashes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:14 pm

Waldo, check out this TB500 I have been refurbishing. It is almost done and will eventually need to be Jerry-ized:
[img]DSCF4914_2.jpg
drkstrcrashes
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby drkstrcrashes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:20 pm

woops, try this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62767557@N00/3383426963/

Here, on top of my PRS are two sets of TB500 single coil clones. One white, one black set. look at the size of these things. Made by EGC (Electrical Guitar company) the current king of aluminum guitars and basses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62767557@N ... otostream/
drkstrcrashes
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby waldo041 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:03 pm

is it this one the other guy is holding? :cool:

seriously, nice guitar!

i always wondered how jerry's 500's were wired with 3 singles and 2 toggle switches.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby drkstrcrashes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:19 pm

hey,. where'd you get that! Funny because I am holding a bobby Cowboy and he has my white artist (no, the one I posted was a TB500, just like Jerry's but without the third pickup). When we went for the first picture, well, first he had to get his leathers on and sunglasses, but he insisted on holding the Bean. I would post that one, but I really look rediculous. But you can see the artist way better. I'll find it. My friend Kurt Stier makes pedals for Slash, the Octavia clones (Chicago Iron, the best man) and Slash was looking for real MXR bluebox pedals. I had 4, so we went down to his hotel with a bag of pedals and the two guitars and he tried them out. He liked the modulation pedals and like I say, bought my Oberheim S/FH as well as 2 Blueboxes.
But of all the big-wiggs, rock stars I have met, he was most down to earth and mellow. Derek trucks and Warren Haynes were also the same. very accessable. Totally clean at least for those few hours, but no, I could tell he was clean. Scott Wyland on the other hand. Woh.
drkstrcrashes
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 pm

drkstrcrashes wrote:Now i have to wonder how the Trio differed from the Fender, only on the "clean" channel. Thanks

I recently took a close look at the Trio's circuit. It's really quite a departure from the real Fender circuit. It has an unusually high number of brightening stages in my opinion as well as some biasing that's also a departure from the Fender circuit. I don't own one, but it sure appears that its clean channel would be unpleasantly crisp, thin, and trebly compared to the real circuit in a Fender (or an F2B or SMS Classic). I'm sure the Trio can make some great overdrive sounds though. Can anyone comment on their experience with the Trio's clean channel?

Brad

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/prod ... assic.html
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby drkstrcrashes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:29 pm

my friend who just sold a Trio and is in a dead band said he loved his trio and almost didn't sell it. When Jerry started using the Trio is when his sound changed in a large way. Eventually it was very one dimensional and thin
drkstrcrashes
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion