The Rosebuddy

Chat about Equipment Info

The Rosebuddy

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:17 pm

I picked up my guitar yesterday and have hardly left the house since. It looks great, sounds and plays even better, it was it turns out well worth the wait.
Here is the story, I bought a used PRS SE EG guitar from a guy on craigslist for I think $200 last June with the idea of turning it into a Garcia guitar. I refinished it, took it to a local shop to be wired and setup and now (9 months later...) DONE!

Usual specks, Dimarzio's tapped, effects loop, brass nut, blocked bridge, Hard Trucker's cables with Neutrik plugs, locking strap buttons & the jackofroses.com jack plate.

Check out the slide show
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Re: The Rosebuddy

Postby willmusic » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:17 pm

Very nice, man! Thanks for sharing and if you get the chance, I know alot of us would love to hear it.
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby Emoto » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Capt Rosebuddy wrote:I picked up my guitar yesterday and have hardly left the house since. It looks great, sounds and plays even better, it was it turns out well worth the wait.
Here is the story, I bought a used PRS SE EG guitar from a guy on craigslist for I think $200 last June with the idea of turning it into a Garcia guitar. I refinished it, took it to a local shop to be wired and setup and now (9 months later...) DONE!

Usual specks, Dimarzio's tapped, effects loop, brass nut, blocked bridge, Hard Trucker's cables with Neutrik plugs, locking strap buttons & the jackofroses.com jack plate.

Check out the slide show

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave:

VERY nice!!!!
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:00 am

Looks great! I remember those PRS's with a pickguard... I liked them.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby strumminsix » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:15 am

How cool is that! Looks great, man! You must feel extra proud that you did half the work and the designing!!!
strumminsix

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:47 pm

I know it's been said a couple of times already but job well done. That turned out awesome. Love to hear it. I have a PRS that has been sitting in it's case for a while now maybe it needs a tweak like this, maybe i'll start playing it again. Who did the work for you and what was the cost? I need to find someone around the Buffalo area that can hook me up with a set up like that. Info is appreciated.
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby deadguise » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Nice, what did you use for the UGB?
deadguise

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:00 am

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the complements, I really appreciate it. The work was done at Crossroads Music in Hanover, MA. They have done a number of these setups and have it down pretty good. I had thought I had most of the research done before starting the project only to find out about Waldo's Buffer and the new schematic that he and Dozin collaborated on for the Tiger, after my PRS was in the shop. So as you may deduce this guitar is wired per the "old" schematic and has a CAE CB1 buffer.

As good as the work is I do have a few critiques, 1.) It took a very long time to complete, I posted a thread back in Dec about the pickguard holding up the works. The final story was that the first company that they sent the template out to went belly up and disappeared, the second one was very backlogged so it took some time to get this one done. Like I said above turns out to be worth because the final product is so good. 2.) One of the Super II's if F spaced (the middle) and the other isn't (the bridge) that's a BIG detail to overlook in my opinion.. but, I didn't notice it until I got it home and spent several hours adoring it. I'm told it really doesn't effect the sound too much but ANY effect in my mind is too much. So long story short I'm working with the shop to get it changed out but they are very busy and I don't want to go without it for too long.

Bottom line is this is the best playing guitar I have ever owned, the setup is perfect and the sound is spot on. I'd like to say thanks to everybody here and the other online outlets for all of the great info on Garcia's tone/gear/playing. Having a guitar that sounds like one of Jerry's is something I've always wanted and it wouldn't have been possible without the awesome amount of info in places like this so, Thank You Very Much.

I'm trying to edit some mpg's together of me noodling around but it's proving to be at the outer rim of my computing skills, so stand by for some kind of sound or video sample I definitely want to share the tone.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby astroman99 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:05 am

Rosebuddy looks really clean , I have a huge hard on for it!!!
enjoy, play something like tennesee jed, or something from live @Keystone :lol:
astroman99

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:35 am

hey regarding the super 2s do I want F-spaced for my project? Im going with 3 like the bolt. thanks! Your guitar is my new inspiration awesome! :cool:
jdsmodulus

Postby Emoto » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:45 am

jdsmodulus wrote:hey regarding the super 2s do I want F-spaced for my project? Im going with 3 like the bolt. thanks! Your guitar is my new inspiration awesome! :cool:

It depends on your string spacing, which is controlled by your bridge and nut, so check those dimensions. See the FAQ on www.dimarzio.com. Lots of good info there.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:16 am

thanks Emoto, I think Ill use a new PRS se custom 24 hard tail. kind of like the rosebuddy. In fact after seeing his I might go with the EG model not sure.
jdsmodulus

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:25 am

Oh and just a heads up JK from DSO used a PRS EG 2 for the longest time it also had the Garcia mods. It reminds me of the Rosebuddy.
jdsmodulus

Postby waldo041 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:35 am

jdsmodulus wrote:Oh and just a heads up JK from DSO used a PRS EG 2 for the longest time it also had the Garcia mods. It reminds me of the Rosebuddy.

that was his midi guitar and pulled out when midi was needed. a very good sign as to just what year they might be aiming for.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:08 am

Well i tried to embed this video but couldn't figure it out..(if anyone knows how and pm me so i can fix this post) anyway I threw this together this week so you guys that wanted to could hear my new guitar.

***TAKE NOTICE**** I'm a bit of a hack and do a great job butchering up the big man's music so beware, its all just good fun right?

http://www.vimeo.com/3755334
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion