JBL recone Who does them?

Chat about Equipment Info

JBL recone Who does them?

Postby hogan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:39 am

Anybody know a good recone guy for a pair of JBL E-120's? I know about Ted Weber and may very well use him if nobody has any better suggestions. Anybody on this board perhaps? Let me know the good, bad and ugly. ~MJH
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Re: JBL recone Who does them?

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:35 am

Major thumbs up for Ted Weber. Not only is he good, but he personally LOVES these JBL's and has put a lot of heart into his recone offerings for them.

And when you get your recone back and listen to it, don't judge. They will never sound good right away. Speakers break in, and you just can't compare a fresh recone to a well played speaker.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby strumminsix » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:59 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Major thumbs up for Ted Weber. Not only is he good, but he personally LOVES these JBL's and has put a lot of heart into his recone offerings for them.

And when you get your recone back and listen to it, don't judge. They will never sound good right away. Speakers break in, and you just can't compare a fresh recone to a well played speaker.

Brad

+1 to all of the above! However, my experience with Ted is indirect to your post since I've purchased many new speakers from him and have heard over months his recones break in on another's amp. His service is top notch! Had a speaker go bad and without question or date inquiry he setup a return and had it back quickly without my paying a penny!
strumminsix

Postby hogan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:26 am

I'm hip to TW and all the good things about him. I have been using his products for about as long as i can remember. I was just wondering if anyone knew of others who are JBL aces.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess.
~MJH
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby KCJones » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:43 pm

http://www.abrown.com/services.html

Where the Bay area pros and the like go
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby gratefulnuge » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:14 pm

I do my own recones and I live in VT...I'm not really sure what those other guys are charging out there...but let me know if you're interested, I'm sure my prices are "competitive" haha
gratefulnuge
TC
TC

Postby jonarobb » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:18 pm

hogan wrote:Anybody know a good recone guy for a pair of JBL E-120's? I know about Ted Weber and may very well use him if nobody has any better suggestions. Anybody on this board perhaps? Let me know the good, bad and ugly. ~MJH

Weber is the low cost standard these days. Besides the other big reconing houses like Orange County, etc, I'd suggest going over to the Lansing Heritage Forum. Join up, introduce yourself and say you're looking to recone a JBL. You'll be shocked at the replies. Tons of retired speaker engineers from JBL and other companies frequent the forum and offer their reconing services. Harvey Gerst is on there as well as another Senior JBL speaker tech. There are original factory recone kits floating around on there from time to time for next to nothing pricewise. I personally had one of the guys over there do a pair of K120's for me. He charged alot but the work was excellent and he was right here in Brooklyn so it was fast and convienent.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/

Good Luck
jonarobb

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:25 pm

If you want a killer old veteran JBL reconer, there's a guy named Woody Woodell who owns Benchcraft Electronics in Goodlettsville, TN outside of Nashville. He's the favorite among many Nashville pickers, and especially pedal steelers. Super great guy too. I had a D130 he had reconed to a K130. He had the kit and the skills and the friendly price. A true veteran at this particular task.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion