Is Herring playing ' Wolf ' ??

Chat about Equipment Info

Is Herring playing ' Wolf ' ??

Postby Mandoborg » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:43 pm

I've noticed quite a few pictures of Jimmy Herring playing what appears to be 'Wolf' Is this the real deal or a copy ? if a copy, does anyone know who made it ?? I'm yet to hear him mention anything about it ??

Just curious..........
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: Is Herring playing ' Wolf ' ??

Postby playingdead » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:07 pm

PZ: Speaking of Jerry, what was it like playing his Wolf guitar in Colorado? Did it have a special feeling, a unique tone...?

JH: Well, you know it's got a lot of switches on it and I didn't get the opportunity to really familiarize myself with it before we played the gig. Phil literally walked up to me like right before soundcheck and he just walked over there and handed it to me. You know this is it, this is got the mojo. And he said, "Here, I want you to play this tonight." And I said, "Okay!" So I had to jump right into it and I didn't really get a chance to figure out what all those switches did, but I found one sound that sounded pretty close to what I was trying to find and it sounded a lot more authentic to me than my guitars did for playing that music. But I haven't heard the tapes, so I don't know what it sounds like. I only played it that one night at The Fillmore. It was unbelievable - I'll tell you that. It's a heavy guitar and I didn't even really realize it until the end of the night when I had a knot in my back. I was like, "Damn this thing is heavy!" But man, it played fantastic. It was pretty surreal. You know, I've seen the footage of The Grateful Dead Movie, you know and he's playing that guitar there. It was just surreal to play that music on that guitar.

PZ: I think that a lot of people, me included, think that that guitar has almost magical qualities.

JH: I do too! I'd like to hear the tapes where I'm playing that guitar and listen to tapes where I'm not playing that and listen to the differences. I'm sure that there's a marked difference.
playingdead

Postby Mandoborg » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:25 pm

PlayingDead, thanks a lot for that little bit there ! Interesting, i must be seeing lots of pictures from that one show ! Who actually owns the guitar because it seems to be going around !

Must get that Phil show now........

Thanks Again !!
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Emoto » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Do we know the date of this show?
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby playingdead » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:56 pm

I think this was all around the time of the Phil Lesh "scholarship" show at Red Rocks in July 2005; the "graduates" got to play a tune with Phil & Friends at the Red Rocks soundcheck, and Phil had the Wolf loaned and on hand for them to play. Phil also showed up at some bar in Boulder, I think, where he did an impromptu latenight duo with Ryan Adams, and Ryan played the Wolf for a couple of hours.

Herring said he played it at the Fillmore (there's one in Denver), so it may have been 7-15-05.
playingdead

Postby playingdead » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:58 pm

And, having just checked the URL of the photo ... July 15 2005 it was indeed. Night before the Red Rocks show.

Not sure if he played it all night, or just one a few songs ... bet he got a surprise if he put the effects loop on with no stereo cable plugged into the second jack!
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:22 pm

John of DSO has played Wolf also! Wolf is owned by Dan Pritzker of Sonia Dada and from what he told me, it can be heard on every song of their last album.

Show #1,299 - Thu, Oct 5, 2006 at Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

Performing 10/5/2006 Original Setlist

Set 1:Sugar Magnolia> Uncle John> Dancin>Dark Star (verse 1)> Gimme Some Lovin'> Heart of Me> Music> Sunshine Daydream> Liberty

Set 2:Stranger> Minglewood, Scarlet> Fire, Terrapin*> Drums> Space> Sugaree> Cassidy> China Cat**> I Know You Rider**

Encore: Mighty Quinn***> Around

John played "Wolf" - Special guest keyboardist Dan Klepinger - Special Guest soundman Dan Healy - Second set with Special guest Bob Weir - *Bob sang lead - **Bob and John alternated lead vocals - ***with Rob and Bob

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby paulinnc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:55 pm

Dan Pritzker must have a shitload of money, I would think.
waldo041 wrote:John of DSO has played Wolf also! Wolf is owned by Dan Pritzker of Sonia Dada and from what he told me, it can be heard on every song of their last album.

Show #1,299 - Thu, Oct 5, 2006 at Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

Performing 10/5/2006 Original Setlist

Set 1:Sugar Magnolia> Uncle John> Dancin>Dark Star (verse 1)> Gimme Some Lovin'> Heart of Me> Music> Sunshine Daydream> Liberty

Set 2:Stranger> Minglewood, Scarlet> Fire, Terrapin*> Drums> Space> Sugaree> Cassidy> China Cat**> I Know You Rider**

Encore: Mighty Quinn***> Around

John played "Wolf" - Special guest keyboardist Dan Klepinger - Special Guest soundman Dan Healy - Second set with Special guest Bob Weir - *Bob sang lead - **Bob and John alternated lead vocals - ***with Rob and Bob

peace,
waldo
paulinnc

Postby waldo041 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:09 pm

246th in the 2008 list of "The 400 Richest Americans" by Forbes Magazine, with a net worth of $1.9 billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Pritzker

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby broesau » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:26 am

Anybody have a copy of that DSO show? I'd love to hear Bob w/ DSO and John on Wolf, what a lucky SOB.
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby jackr » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:58 am

Anyone else besides me just a tad jealous? :?
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion