1940 Xmas Eve ... in HD

Chat about Equipment Info

1940 Xmas Eve ... in HD

Postby playingdead » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:12 pm

After a very steep learning curve, I think I finally solved the how to get these huge HD video files we've been shooting into a manageable size online, have them look good and sound good.

This was about 3.8 gigs off the camera ... now it's 75 megs. It's a Quicktime file embedded into a Flash player, so (hopefully) it will work on PCs, too.

http://www.playingdead.net/stagger.html
playingdead

Re: 1940 Xmas Eve ... in HD

Postby Shuxter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:48 pm

It's as sharp as a tack on my MacBook. Sweet jam too.
Shuxter
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby waldo041 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:31 pm

works fine on my pc.

whats the trick in tucking the pick?

nice works boy's, sounds great!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Chuckles » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:32 am

If only my DirecTV HD came in so well...

Very nice... video and playing!

Nice to blow it up to full-screen and have it be so sharp. What's the source for the sound?

Nice work!
:thewave:
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby strumminsix » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:41 am

awesome playing! awesome quality!
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:36 am

Thanks, guys ... we filmed it with a Sony HD camera back by the soundboard. I took a board feed on a Sony MR-1 minidisk recorder, then brought it into Logic 8 to EQ it, and a little multiband compression. Synced it up to the original audio on the camera in Final Cut and then deleted the camera track. Then it took weeks to figure out the right compression and frame rates to get it to look good and be small enough in size in Apple's Compressor program. And it takes hours to render one single clip. Labor of love!

The soundguy went nuts that weekend (2-night run), miking up everything in sight, two mics on my cabinet, etc. He even listened to a bunch of Healy soundboards the week before the show to get it into his head.

I basically palm the pick, and hold it in there with my pinky, and use the other four fingers to fingerpick. I thought about cutting off half my finger so I could use the stump to stash the pick, but it seemed a little extreme to me. What do you think? LOL

Couple more:

http://www.playingdead.net/bertha.html

http://playingdead.net/cumberland.html

(bridge pickup as a humbucker on that one)
playingdead

Postby DooDahDan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:17 am

Great video. One question, isn't the lyric ".... he packs a forty-five"? :P
Stay thirsty my friends ....
DooDahDan
Brent
Brent

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:58 am

Ha, yeah I noticed that questionable fire arms lyric as well. Playing and song and quality were all great.

Gats and the guys who used them.

Lee Brown - the guy who shot Little Sadie. Gat of choice - .44 smokeless (.44 Special from Smith and Wesson)

Stagger Lee - the guy who shot Billy DeLion. Gat of choice -.45 probably a Colt

I am not a gun guy, never fired one, just love songs about guns and shootings. Call me Crazy. You do.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:06 am

Well you guys are becoming the Premier dead band out there! Your audio is unsurpassed. Ive been around for quite awile playing these songs in variuos bands and let me tell you keep it up you wont find a group of players ready to take the music to this level often if at all. Thank you for what you do. Im impressed and honestly a little jealous! were can I buy the DVD and send me a shirt or something please, you just found a new playingdeadhead. I was on the fence but its all uphill from here. cheers JD :cool:
jdsmodulus

Postby playingdead » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:21 am

C'mon, there are terrific Dead bands all over the place, and it's forums like this and Gearheads that help us all get the sound down.

I saw Jerry sing that ".44" lyric once, it's just stuck in my head that way ... LOL. Anyone know the correct gauge of the shotgun in Candyman?

If you really want the DVDs, pm me your addy. I just got done mastering them. But we don't sell 'em, we just give them away. It's the Dead's music, not ours.
playingdead

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:15 am

playingdead wrote:I basically palm the pick, and hold it in there with my pinky, and use the other four fingers to fingerpick. I thought about cutting off half my finger so I could use the stump to stash the pick, but it seemed a little extreme to me. What do you think? LOL

The vid should load for me by dinnertime.

To throw in my 2 pesos on picking, I do 90+% of my flatpicking- whether lead or comping- hybrid-style with my ring finger adding accent notes. For a song like Crazy Fingers, I tuck the pick into the crook of my middle finger (amputation is strictly optional)and fingerpick w/ thumb-index-ring... easily sliding the pick over to the thumb when its time to solo. I believe for S.Lee I hybrid pick the whole thing...

The pinky huh? Are you able to smoothly transfer that back to your thumb and index? Nevermind, just caught it, nicely done :smile:

oh and I saw a lot of shows where Jerry sang ".44"... although I always anticipated ".45" (maybe because it rhymes)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:31 am

the lyric before set's up just which firearm will be used.

...i won't come back no more.
not only is that mother big,
he packs a 44.

And....

...i won't come back alive.
not only is that mother big,
he packs a 45.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby BlobWeird » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:04 pm

Looked and sounded great. More importantly YOU guys sounded great. Ive checked you guys out before and thought it was aight but didnt see any magic happenin so much but not the case this time. Very good feel on that one. Great job guys keep improvin!
BlobWeird

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion