Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Tone help on Slipknot

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:32 am

FoxRox Octron>
Mutron III>
modded Boss SD-1>
Mutron Phasor II>
Ibanez AD80 analog delay>
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jonarobb » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:09 am

strumminsix wrote:
jonarobb wrote:
Emoto wrote:How do you guys tend to order your Octave, Distortion, and envelope filters in your effects loops?

I have a custom effects switcher/looper. If I were to run everything open in the loop it would be this order:

Mutron III
MXR Analog Delay
MXR Distortion+
MXR Phase 100

rule of thumb is your touch sensitive devices should go at the front of your chain

Interesting spot for the delay. I run a GCX like this:
Boost > auto wah > OD > Phaser > Delay

How does your dist & phase handle delays?

Very well. If I'm going for and 80's tone, say like spaaaaaace or something, it nails it. I only use the delay for a little slapback in my non-dead related gigs/bands. I have a switch to change the order if need be but this is what works for me. The Distortion and Phase really nails that nasally 77-78 shit.
jonarobb

Postby playingdead » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:10 am

I use the GCX, but with everything activated:

Q-Tron -> Octave -> Keeley compressor -> OD-2R -> Phase 100 -> Roland GP-100 rack unit (for tremolo, Slow Gear, MIDI wah, etc.) -> DD-7 delay

I think the Q-tron sounds better before the Octave, at least for Feel Like a Stranger. And I definitely prefer the overdrive before the phaser for that "Far From Me" tone. I rarely use the compressor in the Dead band, but I like it for the rootsier original stuff I've been recording lately.
playingdead

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:38 am

jonarobb wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
How does your dist & phase handle delays?

Very well. If I'm going for and 80's tone, say like spaaaaaace or something, it nails it. I only use the delay for a little slapback in my non-dead related gigs/bands. I have a switch to change the order if need be but this is what works for me. The Distortion and Phase really nails that nasally 77-78 shit.

Ahhh, very cool! Who made your switcher?
strumminsix

Postby bucketorain » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:44 pm

Chuckles wrote:Btw, that show has a sick China Doll in it. Check it out - especially the Jerry/Bobby stuff during the solo.

I must appolagize, during China doll, if you listen real close during one of the quite parts, that was me screaming...sorry..I was the guy in the rafters...I remember vividly Jerry looking up to his left to see where it was comming from...I have an audience tape that you can hear pretty good on...

but the slipknot was definitley octave-dist-midi for sure...I like the midi effects in all of that...his tone and sound in late fall tour 89 and spring tour 90 seemed to be the best sounding IMHO....
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion