Distortion Pedals

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Distortion Pedals

Postby acidrain30005 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:56 pm

I use a DS-1 and I really like it. It's inexpensive and sounds great however, if you're willing to spend an extra 20 or 30 bucks I'd go with the DS-2. It's a much more versatile distortion pedal.
"Carl! Go take your bath!"- Jack
acidrain30005
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:03 pm

I listened to that track, my guess was that it's a Les Paul through a Marshall, maybe a Boogie.

Then I came across this link on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWXiXGGUcSI
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby strumminsix » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:47 pm

tigerstrat wrote:DS-1 (a distortion),and a Screamer (a classic overdrive)

Interesting... I know a TS is an OD, but the same chip is used in the UE400 and they call it DIST.
I'll have to pop open my UE700 to see what chip is in there.
strumminsix

Postby jonarobb » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:02 pm

strumminsix wrote:

Interesting... I know a TS is an OD, but the same chip is used in the UE400 and they call it DIST.

The chip, whether it's a 4558, 6552, LM391, etc, is a generic IC used in many different applications. There is so much hype around the the UE 400's OD/Distortion circuit. It bear no resemblance circuit wise to a Tube Screamer, nor does it sound anything like a vintage 808. The UE 300 was the only unit with an actual Tube Screamer circuit.

The Roland JC120, early versions without the brite switches, ironically has an almost verbatim Tube Screamer circuit in it but because it lacks any buffering it'll never scream like one.

I have bags of original JRC 4558's if anyone is looking to do a scratch-build.
jonarobb

Postby strumminsix » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:47 am

jonarobb wrote:
strumminsix wrote:

The chip, whether it's a 4558, 6552, LM391, etc, is a generic IC used in many different applications. There is so much hype around the the UE 400's OD/Distortion circuit. It bear no resemblance circuit wise to a Tube Screamer, nor does it sound anything like a vintage 808. The UE 300 was the only unit with an actual Tube Screamer circuit.

The Roland JC120, early versions without the brite switches, ironically has an almost verbatim Tube Screamer circuit in it but because it lacks any buffering it'll never scream like one.

I have bags of original JRC 4558's if anyone is looking to do a scratch-build.

Jon, I agree with the hype of a UE400. IMO the FX on that box are 'just okay' fun for home but not stage.
The 400's OD/DIST is nassally, sounds like it has a low pass and overall less musical.
I have the UE700. Very different animal. The DIST is a rich mid bump and much more like a TS.
The 700 was designed for pro's vs. the 400 for joe's :lol: I can't see them skimping...
strumminsix

Postby Dozin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 am

I believe that the UE700's distortion is based on a Maxon OD. not really a tube screamer. How are you liking that unit Strummin? To me it doesn't even compare to any UE series effects. It's so clean and rich, very professional sounding.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby strumminsix » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:33 am

Dozin wrote:I believe that the UE700's distortion is based on a Maxon OD. not really a tube screamer. How are you liking that unit Strummin? To me it doesn't even compare to any UE series effects. It's so clean and rich, very professional sounding.

At first I wasn't thinking it was for me. But the more I play it and hear some of the subtle nuances I am really digging it!

Compared to the 400 it's like night and day.

The OD is super delicious. The phaser is much nicer than most p90 pedals.
The Flanger is very watery. The EQ, really is the bomb! Can't dial in the comp well, though.
strumminsix

Postby Dozin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:54 am

I play with the eq and comp on all the time. Both outboard sliders on the eq I kill. I noticed in Closing of Winterland that Weir did this. If you can find the right setting with the comp the flanger will sustain really nice.

Michael and I have gone in a different direction and were killing the vintage Weir sound. Absolutely lovin' it.
"If you get confused,...
Dozin

Postby b weird » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:54 pm

Crazy9.5 thanks for the video link, I never thought to look up stuff like that on youtube. He really has a simple set up.
What's a volume pedal? Is where you set your amp for one volume then engage the pedal and it doubles the volume or something?

How 'bout a "Head"? Like a Marshall head. I think I have a general idea but I just want to be sure.

Even though I've been playing guitar for like five years now I never really learned about the gear and stuff. I always thougt just plug your guitar into an amp and that was it. Guess I was wrong.
b weird

Postby strumminsix » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:34 pm

Dozin wrote:I play with the eq and comp on all the time. Both outboard sliders on the eq I kill. I noticed in Closing of Winterland that Weir did this. If you can find the right setting with the comp the flanger will sustain really nice.

Michael and I have gone in a different direction and were killing the vintage Weir sound. Absolutely lovin' it.

Okay, rehearsed with this today for the first time. Wow, world of difference! The Comp & Dist playing the Other One was out of this world!
The screamin' sustain! I've needed that for soooo long!

What do you mean by, " Both outboard sliders on the eq I kill."

Right now I have mine set to 0db boost overall, the first few flat then a midhump around 2 then back to 0 with the highest about - .5

What is Weir doing in winterland?

Yes, I have the Flanger setup to be more "watery" than airplane flanger. RICH!
strumminsix

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:19 pm

No Problem B, glad to help.

Volume Pedals are basically what they say they are. Basically it gives you another control of the guitar's signal output before it reaches the amp. I am sure some of the more electronics studied cats on this forum can have a more elaborate explanation but it;s not necessary. Pedal fwd, full volume on guitar, pedal all the way back, no sound. It is also great for doing volume swells if you aren't great at it doing it from the volume control on your guitar.

Combo amp vs. Head amp check the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_amplifiers

second paragrpah
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby caspersvapors » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:29 pm

b weird wrote:Crazy9.5 thanks for the video link, I never thought to look up stuff like that on youtube. He really has a simple set up.
What's a volume pedal? Is where you set your amp for one volume then engage the pedal and it doubles the volume or something?

How 'bout a "Head"? Like a Marshall head. I think I have a general idea but I just want to be sure.

Even though I've been playing guitar for like five years now I never really learned about the gear and stuff. I always thougt just plug your guitar into an amp and that was it. Guess I was wrong.

hahah youre not wrong dude, dont sweat it. the guys on here will bicker about tone till the end of the earth
caspersvapors

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:34 pm

It's really true. Some of the best tones ever played were just a guitar and an amp. BB King never fucked around with pedals, neither did Albert King, Grant Green or Wes Montgomery. Just a nasty set of hands, a guitar and an amp.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:37 pm

strumminsix wrote:What do you mean by, " Both outboard sliders on the eq I kill."

Right now I have mine set to 0db boost overall, the first few flat then a midhump around 2 then back to 0 with the highest about - .5

fwiw, I might be off but I took it to mean the very lowest and highest frequencies were radically cut.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Dozin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:09 am

That's right Tigerstrat, they're cut all the way off. Strummin, check out the video. There's very clear shots of the rig and how the eq is set up. You can also see what effects he has activated. It looks like he plays with the eq and comp on all the time. Same thing with the Egypt video.
"If you get confused,...
Dozin

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion