what are your thoughts on the Fender reissue amps?

Chat about Equipment Info

what are your thoughts on the Fender reissue amps?

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:18 am

do you own one? have you had any problems with it?

Reason I ask is because I came up on several threads where people were basically bashing new Fender amps and the reissues...
caspersvapors

Re: what are your thoughts on the Fender reissue amps?

Postby playingdead » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:44 am

I have a Vibrolux reissue that has never given me any trouble, great amp. The Deluxe reissue I had was terrific, as well.
playingdead

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:01 am

i have the 65 twin rev anniversary Model love it never have had any trouble with it. If your considering a fender reissue i would tell you to go a head and do it. I wonder why people are bashing them?
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:07 am

People who bash them are:
1 - people who have owned them and found their short-comings
2 - people who have owned the originals and hear their flaws

Besides the DRRI they RIs sound like a line6 version of Fender. Close, but not it.

When the TRRIs came out I bought one. It had parasitic oscillation issues of some type.
Returned it. Got another one with a rattle that was loud enough to be picked up by a mic!
Returned it. Another with a PO issues. The shop tested their lot (about 8) and they all swirled!

Went to Mesa and vowed never to buy a new Fender RI again.
strumminsix

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:05 am

Use a Boogie Mark IV and a 65 Reissue TR, have had more issues with the Twin but nothing major. Have never had an issue with the Boogie.

That being said, I have a great clean channel dialed in on the Boogie but it took some tweaking to get it where I want it. The Twin is ready to go out of the box. My dog could dial in a great clean out of that amp. If that is what you are after, go for it. Love the Twin. Nothing sounds like a Twin period. Other things come close, mostly Fenders but the Twin has a vibe entirely unto it's own.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:14 am

Okay, let's be direct here. If you are going to spend $1500 on a new RI fender toss in a couple more bucks and buy a BF or maybe less dough for a SF and then maybe $150-200 to a tech and it will be better than new. Period. Those are the facts. Vintage Twins are at an all time low in value cuz everyone is swarming for DRs or PRs or anything smaller than 45W. I saw a non-MV SF Twin go for under a grand just last week. I think it was like $800.
strumminsix

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 am

Good call Six. IT may take a few more bucks and a bit more effort with a tech, but it's way worth it to have the vintage. SO who wants to buy my reissue?
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby amyjared » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:53 am

I always wanted a Twin, it was my dream amp but when the time came to get one I realized that it was overkill for what I was doing--small venues, jamming w/friends, etc. and it was too heavy for me to lug around. I bought the deluxe reverb reissue and have LOVED it. I have a few friends who also own one and they are loving it as well. One plays jazz and the other two are rockers, and they all swear by it. Really nice and no problems. And I found one about 6 years ago that was 2 months old and only $500.

That being said, I would agree that the vintage one's are better and if you can afford one, go for it.
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:00 am

Maybe not even a few more bucks...

$1000
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... 0354759809

$750

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... 0327495348

$800

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... 0338893651

$800 + $75 for shipping but $250 to a tech for tune-up and BF puts you at $1125 vs $1300 for a Twin RI
http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1113

Just food for thought...
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:12 am

strumminsix wrote:Okay, let's be direct here. If you are going to spend $1500 on a new RI fender toss in a couple more bucks and buy a BF or maybe less dough for a SF and then maybe $150-200 to a tech and it will be better than new. Period. Those are the facts. Vintage Twins are at an all time low in value cuz everyone is swarming for DRs or PRs or anything smaller than 45W. I saw a non-MV SF Twin go for under a grand just last week. I think it was like $800.

Couldn't have put it better, Nick, but feel one thing should be added to this thread is that the Reissues are constructed on PCB, not point-to-point like BF/SF, so that when so that when something does go wrong on a RI, it's a more complex and pains-taking repair.

Are the pots, switches and jacks all PCB-mounted too? That pretty much always makes for extremely easy breakage, and a fragile,crappy, un-roadworthy amp imho.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby deadguise » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:33 pm

I haven't had any problems with mine (RI twin reverb w/15" speaker). It even landed face down when toppled from a hand truck on an uneven road when I first got it, a knob broke but it still sounds great. However, if I come across a vintage and I have the cash, and can hide it from the wife, I'll get one.
deadguise

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:34 pm

amyjared wrote:I always wanted a Twin, it was my dream amp but when the time came to get one I realized that it was overkill for what I was doing--small venues, jamming w/friends, etc. and it was too heavy for me to lug around. I bought the deluxe reverb reissue and have LOVED it. I have a few friends who also own one and they are loving it as well. One plays jazz and the other two are rockers, and they all swear by it. Really nice and no problems. And I found one about 6 years ago that was 2 months old and only $500.

That being said, I would agree that the vintage one's are better and if you can afford one, go for it.

this is actually more my case...

a twin is way too much amp for my needs, the deluxe reverb has everything I would want except one thing that irks me, no mid control on either channel...
caspersvapors

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:47 pm

deadguise wrote:I haven't had any problems with mine (RI twin reverb w/15" speaker). It even landed face down when toppled from a hand truck on an uneven road when I first got it, a knob broke but it still sounds great. However, if I come across a vintage and I have the cash, and can hide it from the wife, I'll get one.

Well a 15" combo Twin that is vintage is REALLY hard to come by.

You could always a Dual Showman Reverb and have 2 cabs: 2x12 and 1x15.

Oh wait, that's mine! :lol:

(Running together is sickly delicious! Only did it a few times live but WOW!
strumminsix

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:54 pm

deadguise wrote:I haven't had any problems with mine (RI twin reverb w/15" speaker). It even landed face down when toppled from a hand truck on an uneven road when I first got it, a knob broke but it still sounds great. However, if I come across a vintage and I have the cash, and can hide it from the wife, I'll get one.

isnt it called a twin because of the 2x12" speakers?
caspersvapors

Postby deadguise » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Fender calls it a Twin Reverb Custom 15, http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2173000010.
So technically I guess a vintage TR Custom would be a vibrosonic? Whatever.....yeah a vintage dual showman reverb would be even better since I have some E-120 cabs...
deadguise

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion