Boston: Playing Dead this weekend

Chat about Equipment Info

Boston: Playing Dead this weekend

Postby playingdead » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:24 pm

We'll be playing Dead at Harpers Ferry in Allston on Friday and Saturday nights ... come on out and talk tone if you're in the area.

Got a nice band called The Autumn Hollow Band opening for us Saturday ... pedal steel, very rootsy, gonna have Noel the steel player (fellow Deadhead) sit in for a couple of tunes with our band.
playingdead

Re: Boston: Playing Dead this weekend

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:42 am

I caught your first set last night - very nice! :hail: Your Jerry sound is damn good, the phrasing was great, the accent notes really sparkled the way Jerry's did and the guitar sounded right in all registers. The PA was a little muffled for me to get a clear impression of the vocal tones but the impression I got was that you were spot on, your Bobby had the perfect screams and the energy was right - it sounded like the Dead with bad mics or no tweeters in the PA - that seemed to be clearing up by Help/Slip/Franklin though (which was awesome!). The harmonies were good and your keyboard player played great solos and does a pretty good Pig. The bass started out as just a low indistinct rumble on CR&S but by the 3rd tune or so it was pretty clear. I didn't get to hear the drummers real well, they were actually a little quiet where I was.... impressive that you could play a place so big that two drummers could be drowned out. :lol: Very good stuff!
Rusty the Scoob

Re: Boston: Playing Dead this weekend

Postby playingdead » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:43 am

Oh, man, thanks for the kind words. You shoulda come up and said hi.

I thought we played terribly for most of the first set ... I didn't think the band really got into gear until the help-slip. At the break, I said to the keyboard player, "I'm playing like s--- tonight." And he said, "I am too." LOL

We were stupid loud onstage, too. It's a great room, but when the drums are miked up, the stage volume is way up there.

The second set was really interesting, we opened with a Shakedown and during the jam, we had a horn player come out and join us. He used to play with Entrain, a Boston band. He was damn good, too, we kept him up there for a Hey Pocky Way, Truckin', a nice jam, and a good long Eyes of the World. He hung right with us for the 73-74 Eyes jam at the end. We played a lot better after that.
playingdead

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion