speaker gaskets

Chat about Equipment Info

speaker gaskets

Postby Chuckles » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:35 pm

I just picked up two E120s at the Post Office that I bought from a VERY reliable dude with whom I had had previous happy exchanges. They were packed prety well, but there was obviously a drop or kick to the box and the result was the top half of the gaskets (the part that is higher than the lip) on both were blown to hell. Maybe I can reglue them, maybe I can just order replacements...

The question is, since these are going to be front-loaded using bolts rather than clamps... does it even really matter other than aesthetics????
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Re: speaker gaskets

Postby playingdead » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:13 am

I'm not sure what the gasket is from your description, do you mean the cork ring around the frame lip? Not sure how a kick to the package could damage that. Photos?

If you push them gently with your hand, do the cones move freely on both speakers, without rubbing sounds? If they do, the cones are probably okay. Have you played through them yet?

The E-120 is a real PITA to ship well, I've had lots of problems. And if there is a sharp impact, the pole pieces can become misaligned,it freezes the cone and the speaker is trash, can't be reconed. If you're shipping a pair, it can be effective to bolt them to each other, that will protect both cones. Or, bolt a piece of thin scrap plywood over each cone.
playingdead

Re: speaker gaskets

Postby astroman99 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:27 am

The spaeker gasket is necessary, don't know why, but I have looked at stereo speakers and know from sellers that they have to be changed, also I don't think it is a big deal to change them someone can probably do it locally for you.
good luck
astroman99

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion