What is your Grateful Dead axe?

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: What is your Grateful Dead axe?

Postby Pete B. » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:32 am

deadguise wrote:The "Further" really is a bit smaller than the SG but heavier. When I play it, it makes me look fat.

Just curious, what is the scale length of your "Further"?
Pete B.

Postby deadguise » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Just curious, what is the scale length of your "Further"?

25-1/2"
deadguise

Postby brutusbuck45 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:16 am

Ibanez ARX100CA... thats all my poor pocket could afford. Its has surprisingly nice tone for a lower priced guitar.

# Mahogany double-cutaway body
# Artist style set neck
# Bound rosewood fretboard
# Gibraltar 3 bridge
# Dual humbuckers (ACH1 ACH2)
# Artist block inlays

brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby strumminsix » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:18 am

brutusbuck45 wrote:Ibanez ARX100CA... thats all my poor pocket could afford. Its has surprisingly nice tone for a lower priced guitar.

# Artist style set neck
# Gibraltar 3 bridge
# Artist block inlays

NICE! I like the look of her. Bobby or Jerry style playing? What do the 3 knobs do?
strumminsix

Postby brutusbuck45 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:53 am

strumminsix wrote:
brutusbuck45 wrote:Ibanez ARX100CA... thats all my poor pocket could afford. Its has surprisingly nice tone for a lower priced guitar.

# Artist style set neck
# Gibraltar 3 bridge
# Artist block inlays

NICE! I like the look of her. Bobby or Jerry style playing? What do the 3 knobs do?

Bobby-style, rhythm mostly. Although I do like to noodle about some when having an occasional Garcia fantasy. I have a Fender Super 60 combo (red knob, tub, Rivera era). I bought it when I was playing a Strat exclusively- doing a blues thing. Man, it has a great Robert Cray, plunky, lower-mid/bridge setting, tone! I digress...

The Ibanez sounds excellent, as well. Its real crunchy. I can get a better late 80's, Bobby's snarl, crunch than that jangly, bright 77-78 tone. Its dual humbucker- the switches are neck, both, and bridge. The pots are neck volume, bridge volume, and tone. Several years ago this was, I was really stoked that I was able to find an Ibanez in my price range that had the Artist-style features. I especially liked the Gibraltar bridge and Cloud tailpiece. Nice touches.

Lately, I have been playing around with amp modelling software. With the software (and hardware) that I use, I can build virtual effects chains for recording and jamming. Fun stuff.
Last edited by brutusbuck45 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby Guardian » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:26 pm

I use a 1977 BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme and soon I will be using a modded strat, once I solve a certain tone pot problem....pics to come soon...
Guardian
tiger
tiger

Postby RiverRat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:19 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue May 12, 2009 8:43 am

Here's my old axe that I designed and blueprinted back in '91. My friend Stevie Ventura built it for me, and it was finished in 'late '92. It was sort of my fusion of a Strat, the Wolf, and Trey's Languedoc, sort of. The body is a big fat chunk of Paduak with hollowed out chambers to bring down the weight and add resonance. The top is good ol' flame maple. The neck is hard rock maple, and was carved from one solid block, headstock included. It was sliced down the middle to insert the truss rod. Fretboard is ebony. The rear plate is purpleheart. The neck attachment joint is all curved for extremely comfortable access to the 24th fret. Pickup's shown are the Schaller Golden 50's like in Trey's classic axe. I wanted a cleanish humbucker to get the Garcia SG and also Trey tone. I also have a pickguard with P-90's. The bridge pickup sits between a traditional middle position and bridge position. Pretty much a fatter bridge sound. It was an experiment that proved to be pretty successful. The Garcia OBEL (loop) was always there from the beginning. The jacks are oriented that way because I always ran my cords thru the strap. I added a middle 3rd knob at some point so I could have a pre-distortion volume control to be able to have some control over that factor too. The tailpiece is solid ebony and is the only piece on the guitar I made myself. Stevie did everything else. It's a fairly mid-weight axe, good balance, and a focused, clear tone. The neck contour was borrowed from the first Van Halen guitar because of the way the fattest part of the neck is off center and fits my palm real well. Kind of a fat and slightly narrow feel. The body was laboriously finished with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil typically used for gunstocks. That too was an experiment. The fret markers are all down the side, so when playing, they're VERY visible, but from the front it's more like seeing a violin.

Brad

Ventura-front.jpg
Ventura-caster
Ventura-front.jpg (76.6 KiB) Viewed 11712 times

overview-rear.jpg
overview-rear.jpg (29.92 KiB) Viewed 11709 times

bottomview.jpg
bottomview.jpg (50.1 KiB) Viewed 11710 times
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue May 12, 2009 9:24 am

Then here's my current axe. Really really nails a number of Jerry tones as good as anything I've heard or had. This is definitely my Grateful Dead axe. It's a fat Warmoth neck with a swamp ash body. Compound radius. Neck pickup is a Lollar Special. Middle pickup is a Dual Sound wired for just the single coil facing the bridge on. The bridge pickup is a Fender NoCaster custom shop tele pickup. The buffer inside is one of my own discrete transistor designs, sort of like a very early Alembic unity gain buffer (not a Blaster circuit). But soon I hope to replace that with one of Waldo's. Not a fancy guitar, but more of a beater workhorse tool. Nice, medium/light Fender weight. Brass compensated Callaham saddles for intonation. Brass helps get a Jerry tone too. This is sort of my take on the Alligator. Very Fendery, very '72. By far the best sounding Tele I've owned. Super clear like a maple necked Tele should be, but really full bodied and warm with the sustain emphasizing the warm mids. Easy to play. Action set fairly high and clean.

Brad

telefront.jpg
telefront.jpg (46.82 KiB) Viewed 11680 times

telenear.jpg
telenear.jpg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 11679 times

teleOBEL.jpg
teleOBEL.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 11676 times
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby Emoto » Tue May 12, 2009 11:04 am

RiverRat wrote:The "Rat-o-caster"

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=5187

The Stratoblaster has been removed, it only has 1 Volume and 1 shared tone pot now... In the Blasters place, I installed a gutted Audio Technica VHF wireless system in the tremolo cavity. the 3PDT toggle control allows for switching between the wireless and the 1/4" jack.

Look nice! When am I going to get to hear it?
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby broesau » Tue May 12, 2009 8:34 pm

I took a 3 pickup SG and installed the same pickups as the Weir Cowboy Ibanez. Dimarzio Virtual PAF in Neck & Bridge and Dimarzio Virtual Vintage in Middle. Each pickup has individual volume control and a master tone. Pickups are also set for parallel/phase/single. I've changed the knobs to vintage look gold Gibson knobs to match the hardware.
Attachments
DSC00759.JPG
DSC00759.JPG (192.37 KiB) Viewed 11596 times
DSC00758.JPG
DSC00758.JPG (31.05 KiB) Viewed 11597 times
broesau
Mickey
Mickey

Postby MikePlaysDead » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:48 am

Hi folks this is my first post!

I live in the Midcoast ME area and have been lookin to play some dead. The most difficult part for me has been
finding other players!!! I've played 6 string Bass the longest, but I also am the proud owner of a John Reuter Jerrycaster (His 3rd build). My gear:

Guitar Jerrycaster (2005 "Tiger" shape, electronics identical to "Rosebud" w/ Fool inlay (Designed by my wife.) Pictured on his website.

69 Twin Reverb w/ 2 JBL E-120s' (Treble set @ 7+, Mid @ 6-6.5, Bass @ 0-1 Reverb 3-4...thanks JR & John Kadlecik)

Boss OC2 octave
Q-tron
MXR Dist +
MXR Phase 100
MXR Carbon Copy
Roland GR33
Scaled 40.JPG
Scaled 40.JPG (80.68 KiB) Viewed 11479 times

11 layer body (cocobola, maple, vermilion), maple purpleheart neck, 3 DiMarzio Super 2s', op buffer amp. effects loop...
JR is super cool! He took a modest down payment, and made it easy to get the guitar I always wanted!
This guitar sounds far better than I could have hoped for, It cost less than an Alembic, and I'd buy from him again in a heartbeat !

I would gladly play Bass or Guitar with liked minded friends. I have tons of corrected GD & JGB tabs and can offer Jerry / Phil lessons if anyone is interested!
Nice to read everyones posts. -Mike C.
Last edited by MikePlaysDead on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MikePlaysDead
welcome
welcome

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:03 am

MikePlaysDead wrote:Hi folks this is my first post!

I live in the Midcoast ME area and have been lookin to play some dead. The most difficult part for me has been
finding other players!!! I've played 6 string Bass the longest, but I also am the proud owner of a John Reuter Jerrycaster (His 3rd build). My gear:

Guitar Jerrycaster (2005 "Tiger" shape, electronics identical to "Rosebud" w/ Fool inlay pictured on his website)
69 Twin Reverb w/ 2 JBL E-120s' (Treble set @ 7+, Mid @ 6-6.5, Bass @ 0-1 Reverb 3-4...thanks JR & John Kadlecik)

Boss OC2 octave
Q-tron
MXR Dist +
MXR Phase 100
MXR Carbon Copy
Roland GR33
Scaled 40.JPG

11 layer body (cocobola, maple, vermilion), maple purpleheart neck, 3 DiMarzio Super 2s', op buffer amp. effects loop...
JR is super cool! He took a modest down payment, and made it easy to get the guitar I always wanted!
This guitar sounds far better than I could have hoped for, I'd buy from him again in a heartbeat !

I would gladly play Bass or Guitar with liked minded friends. I have tons of corrected GD & JGB tabs and can offer Jerry / Phil lessons if anyone is interested!
Nice to read everyones posts. -Mike C.

SWEET AXE
Welcome aboard !
peace
Tennessee Jedi

Postby aoguitars » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:17 am

hey MikePlaysDead, where are you located? I'm a Freeport guy. I've seen Reuter's stuff around online, but never in person--I'd love to check it out sometime. I'm building a couple Rosebuds now and a couple Wolfs, alongside my own stuff. Welcome to the board!
Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com
aoguitars
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:41 am

MikePlaysDead wrote:Hi folks this is my first post!
-Mike C.

Welcome, Mike! Love that bridge inlay! Wow!
strumminsix

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion