Miking an acoustic for recording?

Chat about Equipment Info

Miking an acoustic for recording?

Postby playingdead » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:06 am

Anybody got any tips? I have a Martin D-41S that I'd like to mic in my home studio for some acoustic recordings. Mostly fingerpicking with a capo, some strumming. It has no onboard electronics, but a terrific sound.

I don't have great mics; one inexpensive MX (Marshall) 2003 condensor with a shock mount, one EV 757 supercardioid vocal mic (pretty good mic), one JBL copy of a Shure SM58. I can run two mics at once, though.

I also have an Alvarez Yairi WY1-K Bob Weir model, with the onboard electronics, but the Martin has such a sweet, ringing piano-like tone with great bass. I'm thinking it would be good to close-mike the guitar on one channel and maybe use the condensor fairly close to capture the ambiance but I'm not sure.
playingdead

Re: Miking an acoustic for recording?

Postby KCJones » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:41 am

Experiment, experiment, experiment with mic positions. No one formula works for everyone. Every guitar, mic, room and player are different. Your 2 mic technique is common and can work great.
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Re: Miking an acoustic for recording?

Postby jdsmodulus » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:36 am

I use an Alvarez into pendulum pre out to mixer then just monitor with headphones no mic sounds great
jdsmodulus

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion