Help!! (Problems with my Tiger build)

Chat about Equipment Info

Help!! (Problems with my Tiger build)

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:52 pm

Guys I need help, here’s the scoop…back in about July I bought a fairly cheap used PRS (Asian SE EG) student model guitar to use as a bed for a Tiger style set up. I picked that guitar for a number of reasons for starters I liked the neck, but mainly that the pup’s where mounted on the pick guard like a strat, my thinking was that it would be easier to do the wiring.

I’m basically a novice when it comes to the DIY guitar mod world so I sent the guitar, which I had stripped and re finished, the CAE buffer, 2 super II’s a SD1, and jackofroses.com’s “brass dual jack plate” to a local shop that comes highly recommended by some guys who’s opinions I trust and who have had work done at said shop. This was in August. The plan was that the shop’s guitar tech would block the trem bridge, fabricate a brass nut, and do the wiring per the old Dozin schematic and the whole thing would only take a few days, and that’s when we hit a snag….

Because the guitar was refinished the original pickguard would not match and therefore was no good, so a new one would have to be made. The shop elected to make a template up and send it out to a vendor, have it made; shipped back to Boston and then the rest of the work could begin. The template went out in early September and despite my bi weekly calls to the shop asking for a progress report no progress has been made. It’s getting to the point that all I want is to have the damn thing done but I can’t get any answers and I think for whatever reason I’m getting the run around, it sucks..

So I guess what I’m asking is:
1. Can anybody recommend someplace I can order a custom fabricated tortoise pick guard from because the vendor that the shop picked is just not cutting it?
2. Can any of you guys just cut the pickguard for me if I can get you the template which bty might not be a possibility.
3. If I got my parts back can or would any of you builder types be willing to take on my project and be able to have it done within say 10 days of receiving it? Obviously price would be a concern I’m trying to do this on the cheep so 2 way shipping costs on top of labor could blow my margin. Somebody in the Boston aria would be ideal.
4. Take this as a sign, pack it in and start from scratch with a new hobby? Just kidding..

Thanks & Merry Everything!
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Re: Help!! (Problems with my Tiger build)

Postby Chuckles » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:17 am

August? AUGUST? They've had your axe since FREAKING AUGUST????

Get it back asap and tell 'em to pound sand if they ask for a penny.

Can't give any advice on where to turn, but whoever you're dealing with sucks in the worst way. Jeezuz, I'M pissed off about it!

There's lotsa good MA players here; I'm sure someone can give you a good referral...
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby paulinnc » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:13 am

I think the pick would be an easy fix. I'm sure you can order pick guard blanks from stew mac. As far as the wiring goes, I bet you could do it yourself, just take your time and do it one wire at a time. Do you have a guitar to play on at the moment? If so just play on that while you fix up your other one. Soldering is not that hard, you can pick up all the stuff at Radio shack, in fact they have a hobbiest kit made for people who do this sort of thing. Plus they sell resistors and caps and stuff.
paulinnc

Postby jonarobb » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:12 am

Capt Rosebuddy wrote:Guys I need help, here’s the scoop…back in about July I bought a fairly cheap used PRS (Asian SE EG) student model guitar to use as a bed for a Tiger style set up. I picked that guitar for a number of reasons for starters I liked the neck, but mainly that the pup’s where mounted on the pick guard like a strat, my thinking was that it would be easier to do the wiring.

I’m basically a novice when it comes to the DIY guitar mod world so I sent the guitar, which I had stripped and re finished, the CAE buffer, 2 super II’s a SD1, and jackofroses.com’s “brass dual jack plate” to a local shop that comes highly recommended by some guys who’s opinions I trust and who have had work done at said shop. This was in August. The plan was that the shop’s guitar tech would block the trem bridge, fabricate a brass nut, and do the wiring per the old Dozin schematic and the whole thing would only take a few days, and that’s when we hit a snag….

Because the guitar was refinished the original pickguard would not match and therefore was no good, so a new one would have to be made. The shop elected to make a template up and send it out to a vendor, have it made; shipped back to Boston and then the rest of the work could begin. The template went out in early September and despite my bi weekly calls to the shop asking for a progress report no progress has been made. It’s getting to the point that all I want is to have the damn thing done but I can’t get any answers and I think for whatever reason I’m getting the run around, it sucks..

So I guess what I’m asking is:
1. Can anybody recommend someplace I can order a custom fabricated tortoise pick guard from because the vendor that the shop picked is just not cutting it?
2. Can any of you guys just cut the pickguard for me if I can get you the template which bty might not be a possibility.
3. If I got my parts back can or would any of you builder types be willing to take on my project and be able to have it done within say 10 days of receiving it? Obviously price would be a concern I’m trying to do this on the cheep so 2 way shipping costs on top of labor could blow my margin. Somebody in the Boston aria would be ideal.
4. Take this as a sign, pack it in and start from scratch with a new hobby? Just kidding..

Thanks & Merry Everything!

You should give Peter Stokes a call. He's still in Boston I believe. I know he used to do alot of way out there type electronic mods. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He might be able to put you onto someone at least for both the pickguard and assembly.

Good luck...
jonarobb

Postby playingdead » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:04 am

Andrew, I've never had a problem with Bob and those guys, I'm surprised. I know this is the craziest time of year for them, but still.

I think what I would do is have them just rough out the original pickguard for now while they wait for the real one to come in. That would at least get you playing. When they did my Strat, they used the original pickguard and just cut larger holes in it.
playingdead

Postby willmusic » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:34 pm

My god that sucks! I mean seriously? August? If a pickguard is the only thing holding this project up then try these guys. I go to them and have been reliable thus far.

http://www.pickguards.com/
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby Emoto » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:39 pm

Shit, man, this sucks. If you can find out the particulars of the vendor who is supposed to be doing the pickguard, I would be glad to call them as your representative "I'm representing..." and try to find out what's going on. It makes no sense for them to sandbag this job, as I can't see what they have to gain by doing so. Give me a shout if you want to vent.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby myoung6923 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:59 pm

If you want help with the wiring I can do it - let me know - I'm on the South Shore.

Mike
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby RiverRat » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:37 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:00 am

Hey guys,
Wow thanks for all the great ideas, it always helps to go to your friends when your out of answers your self. First off I'd like to say that the last thing I want to do is bad mouth these guys for no reason the shop in question really does do good work and I'm all for keeping a mom and pop type place like that in business in our world of wall/guitar-centers they need our support and while I'm pissed this has taken so long hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

seriously, Vic, Bob, Ray and others I don't know thanks for all the great ideas I'll bump the thread when I have some answers/progress to provide.

cheers,
Andrew
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion