Thanks Waldo !

Chat about Equipment Info

Thanks Waldo !

Postby Mandoborg » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:52 pm

Hey Now, i'm new here as of last week. I've been having a field day in the Equipment section as the Deads gear has always been just as interesting as the music to me ! About a year ago i started putting away pieces to make a Tiger style guitar and spent MONTHS looking over the internet and every little paper articce i could find but somehow never came across this site ! Just in a few visits i've learned TONS of stuff about Jerry's guitars i couldn't find anywhere else. Details are what i was looking for and they are everywhere here and 'Waldo' seems to really know a thing or two about Jerrys guitars and i wanted to say thank you for sharing that with us. Tigerstrat as well............ and i'm sure i've forgotten a couple already. I'm headed back to the Mandolin Lutherie world, that's what i mostly do now, but will be on this site for a LONG time reading almost every post.

Thank you guys so much for sharing what you know........ there are pictures of my guitar over at this site if it's ok to post links here.............. if not i'll u/l here if anyones interested....... Not aht i have anything against 12 year olds posting all day about stuff....., but it's great having a forum that the folks REALLY know what they are talking about and not just blowing smoke.

Jim Combra

http://www.mimf.com/cgi-bin/WebX?50@85. ... @.2cb68ce5
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: Thanks Waldo !

Postby waldo041 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:59 pm

no thanks needed. it's not mine to bogart, it's ours to share! using the info is thanks enough for me.

NICE friggin axe!

though, you gotta ditch that CB1 and go with a tiger preamp!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby paulinnc » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:18 am

I just love seeing the DIY heads in action, it is so cool to see others taking on projects like this for themselves.
paulinnc

Postby Mandoborg » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:56 am

My ears are always open Waldo, what is the ' Tiger ' pre-amp you speak of and how does it differ from the CB-1 ? Did a google and came up empty. This guitar is still a work in progress. I think i'm going to mount the outputs on a brass plate as i see the Cocobolo giving out after a few years of tugging away on those jacks. I have 2 mandolins to build for customers, then i'm going to build either a Wolf or maybe a full on Tiger with the CoCo back. This guitar was the most fun i've had building any instrument in the 24 years i've been at it ! But MAN it was TOUGH, even by todays standards these guitars are light years ahead of everything !

Jim Combra

ps. Waldo, i know this batch of pictures is pretty bad, but what do you think of the body shape ? I traced a picture of Tiger onto a transparency, then used one of those old school overhead projectors to try to get it to size. It was funny, move the proector closer to the wall, trace, fail, repeat,fail,repeat,fail, it was stressfull!! Then when i thought i had it, i made a plexi-template, only to hold that up and say, 'this isn't it either ' !! LOL !!

I still don't think it's right, but pretty close ???
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Emoto » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:46 am

Beautiful work, Jim!

I have to agree with you about how terrific everyone is here about sharing info. This is a fantastic place. I've gotten some cool tech info, plus have met some really great people to play with, which I really never expected.

Wadlo makes a tiger buffer that works well; I have one in my project guitar (just a modded strat, not made from scratch like yours).
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Mandoborg wrote:I still don't think it's right, but pretty close ???

Jim, close enough to make a jaw drop! very cool.

Interesting pickup set- how are you liking the Tone Zone/Area 61/Super II ?

by the way check your pm's...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Mandoborg » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:43 am

I'm still tweaking the guitar but the pickups are pretty nice. I play on the middle pickup 80% of the time and the Area 61 is a really nice pickup. The other 20% is the neck pickup and we all know how nice a super 2 sounds ! It's funny , people think of these as ' distortion' pickups, hardly, they are clean, just REALLY loud. The Tone Zone is just something i took out of a customers guitar and had it in the drawer, it's ok, but i rarely use a bridge pickup so i'm not one to comment on how it sounds.
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion