Weber Recone of an E-120 ...ouch

Chat about Equipment Info

Weber Recone of an E-120 ...ouch

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 pm

Just got a E-120 reconed by Weber back last Friday. Put it in my 100 watt Boogie. Thing lasted a total of 2 hours and then blew and started putting out a really buzzy distorted sound on anything lower than a g string. I am very disappointed. Waiting to see what Weber is going to do.(have an email in). Uggh I have been having a bad luck with JBL-s lately. I bought a bum K-120 on Ebay a couple weeks ago and now this....ugh .

There is no way a 100 watt Boogie should blow an E-120, right?
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Re: Weber Recone of an E-120 ...ouch

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:50 pm

Well, i will give weber credit where it is due, they were very quick in replying to my problem and are paying for shipping to take it back and fix it. Cant really ask for more than that. Stuff happens sometimes. Just bummmed because i was gonna let that thing rip this weekend (have a Legion of Jerry gig tomorrow)
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby jonarobb » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:44 pm

That is a bummer Jeff. Funny, I got back a huge load of drivers from Weber. I noticed instead of Brian Spane doing the recones which is his main guy, they have a few new cats there. There were 4 Electro Voices that all came back with way too much doping.

There's a guy here in Brooklyn that is a frequent contributor to the Lansing Heritage Forum. He's got great reviews from several cats that have used him for recones. I'm going to give him a shot on a few Altecs. I'll let you know how they turn out.
jonarobb

Postby playingdead » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:09 pm

I had a freshly reconed E-120 halfway through the first set ... I bought it on Ebay. :?

The recone kit was aftermarket -- the paper was black, as opposed to the grey JBL paper.

I don't think you can blow a good E-120 with the factory kit with a 100 watt amp, though. The ones I've had reconed locally (at NE Speaker) with factory kits are taking everything my 800 watt power amp can throw at them. So far, at least.
playingdead

Postby Pete B. » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:45 pm

I just purchased two brand new JBL-E120's from a reputable (but out of town) small school (Pop only, sorry Maaa) source.
We shall see!
They should arrive next week.
Pete B.

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion